E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question Re: Leather in E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
Question Re: Leather in E350

I am in the market for a CPO Mercedes. I am looking at a variety of models, one of which being the E350 4matic. I am looking at 2007 and 2008 models with the sport package.

I have noticed that the vast majority of the E350s that I am finding do not have leather interior (they have MB-Tex). Is leather really that uncommon of an option in the E350?

Despite all of the positive things I hear about MB-Tex, I would still prefer a car with leather.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Only about 1% or so of US E350's have leather as an option.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I had to look long and hard to find an E350 with leather. Dealers tend to fill their allocations with MB-Tex, probably assuming customers won't know the difference or will never ask since most people think leather would be (and should be) on all MBs. The leather option does add a fair amount to the sticker price (another reason dealers don't order it.)

If you find a leather one on a dealer's floor, it will usually also have a lot more options (P2, Pano, etc..) The one I found was personally ordered by the sales manager who never titled it and instead put it up for sale (brand new and only 13 miles on it when I took delivery.)

The quick way to spot leather is the pleating above the door's armrest. They have a pronounced "wrinkled" leather look (pleats) rather than a smooth surface (MB-Tex.) I'm sure you already know that.

Good luck finding one.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Or one can add it..I added Full option seats with Heat/Vented/Massage/Multicontour and Drivedynamic since MB no longer offers the seats
Also changed the door panels ...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
I have had three E-class, a 2003, 2006, and current 2009, all with MB-Tex. I much prefer it over leather. I have leather in my two other cars, a Lexus and a Porsche, but they show wear much sooner than MB-Tex, along with creasing. Leather is usually a painted surface, and when the paint starts to wear off, it quickly looks shabby. The color in Vinyl goes all the way through, and in my experience, German vinyl wears like iron--consider the seats in the M-B taxis in Europe.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
It looks like starting from 2003 leather is optional for certain models. Certainly S still has no MB-Tex as an option.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good call! Wait until you can find one properly equipped with leather and P2, anything less does not do the car justice. No matter how you word it, MB tex is plastic/vinyl, and it does feel like it, especially in hot or cold.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Good call! Wait until you can find one properly equipped with leather and P2, anything less does not do the car justice. No matter how you word it, MB tex is plastic/vinyl, and it does feel like it, especially in hot or cold.

And, to respond to the comment about the benefits of Mb-Tex: Yes, leather is dyed. But re-dying leather if needed is very easy. You can even change the color if you feel so inclined.

And so is properly taking care of leather. There are many great products that when used (after all, you do wash and wax the car) will maintain leather for a long, long time. Leather takes on an individual character that can't be found with synthetic vinyl.

Leather boots or rubber boots, it's an individual's choice.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I actually like the M-B Tex too, which is why I don't complain about it much being in such an expensive car (and a Mercedes to boot). Judging by looks, I find the M-B Tex in my car to look newer and "blacker" than the leather inserts on the front seats (which are in perfect condition). That said, I'm very glad they put real Leather inserts, as I would not like sitting on the Tex, and by far prefer the feel of Leather. M-B Tex does require much less maintenance though.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Unless people do not know what MB-Tex is, they can't tell it isn't leather. So for presence and short term car keeping, MB-Tex is alright.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

2013 E350
My c-class had the full leather option, my e-class doesn't. I cant even tell the friggen difference. it all looks the same to me. Leather is so common in cars this day and age, I don't care anymore.
T.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by germantom-c240
My c-class had the full leather option, my e-class doesn't. I cant even tell the friggen difference. it all looks the same to me. Leather is so common in cars this day and age, I don't care anymore.
T.
While they may look alike, the important part is how it feels, and they have nothing in common there.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 AM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
While they may look alike, the important part is how it feels, and they have nothing in common there.
They feel different? Hmmm, Mercedes does a great job with the MB tex then, cause there are a ton of owners that have no clue what they got, ( just search"MB Tex or Leather"). Its funny how owners ask this Question, and then make statements about MB tex.
lol. To many of them are riding around in their Mercedes, just assuming its leather, which is ok.
T.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM

06 SL65 AMG, 04 E5004Matic,02 911Turbo (Fluidmotorunion tuned),06 Cayenne S
I like MBtex better too. It certainly lasts much longer than leather
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
l have to agree... "I want and expect Leather" is to a great extent an emotional response to "Luxury". For a car interior, the extremely high grade of Vinyl (MB Tex) used in these cars is really pretty adequate. You're right... most people don't know whether theirs is Leather or MB Tex. For the purist, look at your seats... its tough to tell where the leather insert begins & the vinyl begins. (and its only on the front seats!) Does it feel slightly different? Yeah maybe... Does it wear better? Clean easier? Definitely. Will we in the USA be keeping our cars longer now? Yup. The party's over.

This would be one cost cutting measure I support. I'd rather the car stay competitively priced in the American market, so that there could be more important items included in the car. Heck... we can't even get heated seats in the rear from the factory here as well as other neat-o things... just to help keep the cost of the car reasonable here.

As a Country, we're broke, and we have some distastefull times coming upon us. Our butts are gonna have to learn to be less sensitive and more tolerant to "less than the absolute finest".
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry but it's not about the "finest" for many of us. That's silly. (fwiw, I completely de-badged my MB since I'm a bit sensitive about that sort of thing and DID NOT buy my MB because of "status." I'm very modest person. I bought it because I found it to be the most comfortable touring car on the market for my needs.)

Many of us prefer leather because leather is comfortable to sit on. In the heat, humidity and cold. It also wears with character. Many of us like that. I like leather shoes for that reason alone. I also wear cloth or leather jackets instead of plastic or vinyl jackets. It's a personal preference, that's all. (After all, distressed leather jackets are sold as new.)

The concern is, perhaps this should be a standard choice on a car of this price. Maybe. Maybe not. But it is one of the few cars in the price range that do not offer it as a no cost option. MB has touted their own version of vinyl for quite a while now and it's worked to their advantage financially. It has absolutely nothing to do with the current economic situation in this country.

fwiw, my 220s had leather way back in the "old days" and held up beautifully with a rich patina. If you really prefer MB-Tex, then more power to you. For those of us who like leather (and not because of any "status" nonsense), we question why it's an option.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM

06 SL65 AMG, 04 E5004Matic,02 911Turbo (Fluidmotorunion tuned),06 Cayenne S
i wonder which costs more to install...mb tex or leather. if leather is more, i wonder by how much...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The "install" price is the same. Leather fabric costs more to buy, dye & match. There is waste product in hides. There is no waste in making MB Tex. Also leather must be matched, MB Tex (like Formica) is always the same. You can order a 4x8 sheet of Mormica 10 years later and it will be the same as when yours was installed. (Man Made vs Natural Occurrence) MB Tex is all the same. Remember, only the 1 Sq foot of leather under your butt is leather. The rest of the seat is MB Tex.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by 220S
Sorry but it's not about the "finest" for many of us. That's silly. (fwiw, I completely de-badged my MB since I'm a bit sensitive about that sort of thing and DID NOT buy my MB because of "status." ...
FWIW you debadged a 350... not a 550 or an E 63.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
FWIW you debadged a 350... not a 550 or an E 63.
I would do the same to the 550 and the E63. I debadged my past M3, too. My P-car is not debadged only because it's a collectable and I want to keep it 100% stock in case of resale (I have all paperwork, documents, etc. on that car.)

People buy cars for different reasons. I buy a car to please me and only me. And I assume that's what everyone does. As I said, if MB-Tex is what you truly prefer than that's perfectly fine, of course. We just like different flavors of ice cream, that's all.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
l have to agree... "I want and expect Leather" is to a great extent an emotional response to "Luxury". For a car interior, the extremely high grade of Vinyl (MB Tex) used in these cars is really pretty adequate. You're right... most people don't know whether theirs is Leather or MB Tex. For the purist, look at your seats... its tough to tell where the leather insert begins & the vinyl begins. (and its only on the front seats!) Does it feel slightly different? Yeah maybe... Does it wear better? Clean easier? Definitely. Will we in the USA be keeping our cars longer now? Yup. The party's over.

This would be one cost cutting measure I support. I'd rather the car stay competitively priced in the American market, so that there could be more important items included in the car. Heck... we can't even get heated seats in the rear from the factory here as well as other neat-o things... just to help keep the cost of the car reasonable here.

As a Country, we're broke, and we have some distastefull times coming upon us. Our butts are gonna have to learn to be less sensitive and more tolerant to "less than the absolute finest".
1. I have never had a problem with leather being too fragile or requiring more work. I find it easy to clean and condition, and while I am aware that MB tex does not need to be conditioned, going over the seats with conditioner after a cleaning is the only "price" I pay.

2. I do not think leather as an option is a problem, although I think that all the upholstery option available elsewhere should be available here, not just MB tex and leather, but Napa leather, and full leather interior too.

3. My perspective is completely different on yours regarding keeping cars longer. I keep my cars for a very long time, and as a result I would never compromise on equipment since I will be living with it for a while.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM

GTI
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Or one can add it..I added Full option seats with Heat/Vented/Massage/Multicontour and Drivedynamic since MB no longer offers the seats
Also changed the door panels ...
Is there a write-up somewhere on adding these seats? Did you source from a junkyard? How difficult was the install/cost?