E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just got my new benz and have a few questions. 05 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
Just got my new benz and have a few questions. 05 E500

First of all I'm new to the forums, so...what's up.

Just got myself an 05 E500 with 33K miles on it a few days ago and had some questions about it. I had a 98 e430 from 99-02 (lowered with 18" AMG monoblocks) so I know a bit about Benzes but had been really into Audis for the past 5-6 years so I'm a bit out of the loop in the MB WORLD.

First of all here are some pics of the new baby!

I've been doing some research but just wanted to get a few questions about my specific model if I could! I got this for a KILLER price so I jumped on it quick and am still a bit in LA LA LAND and am a tad uneducated about the 211 series in general.

1) Can you tell me what package this one has and the estimated price when new? I know it's pretty much loaded but would like to know specifics. From what the deal says it's got the "sport package" and seems to have ever option except the heated/cooled seats. it has nav, harman, blue tint, air sus, dynamic seats, cd changer, aux in, etc..

2) Are 20s doable on here or is it best to stick with 19s? I like a "factory plus" look and will probably go with some AMG-ish.

3) It has the air suspension. Does this effect lowering the car when it's time?

4) Anyone ever do the xenon license plate light?

5) Is there anything to integrate the ipod to show on the nav screen?

6) miles between oil changes? what type of oil?

7) Anything to lookout for on this car? Should I take it to the dealer and discuss service with them and stuff? Are there scheduled things that must be done? Any other random details I should know?

Again I really appreciate any help and I look forward to sharing my experience modding this car over the next year or so on these forums!

- Mike

Last edited by mike vee; 02-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
1) Your car has the "appearance pkg"
2) I wouldn't go larger than 19s... 18s max. Matter of taste and ride comfort
3) Get a lowering module. Kleemann, renntech, evosport might have one
4) No idea, i like the Lexus look though
5) Nope, ipod only on the speedo. Sucks I know.
6) 12k miles, Mobil 1 5w40
7) Air suspension failures, SBC brake recalls/failures. Make sure the SBC brakes have all the safety recalls done. That system is a nightmare.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
5) Is there anything to integrate the ipod to show on the nav screen?
Yes - an Dension ICELink Gateway 500

http://www.dension.com/index.php?pageID=11

It does replace the CD Changer, but is fully digital - it integrates with the MOST ring and does not have the issues with the lower volume and possible distortion of the Mercedes-Benz integration kit. I am considering installing one of these and replacing the CD Changer with an OEM pocket and placing the iPod and connector in there.

The MB iPod integration kit essentially uses the AUX port in the glove compartment to get the audio to the COMAND unit, and the COMAND has an analog/digital converter to get the audio into digital format, onto the MOST ring, and to the AGW (amp) in the rear of the car. It then taps between the AGW and car's CAN bus to communicate to the instrument cluster. The COMAND just thinks a normal AUX connection is established and is not iPod aware.

The COMAND analog/digital converter leaves a little to be desired as it has too much attenuation and lowers the volume of the AUX devices compared to the other sources (some say to prevent the blowing of speakers - not sure if that is the actual case or a design flaw). There is an iPod integration kit amplifier that can be installed that raises the volume of the iPod but results in clipping/distortion of some iPod audio files that are recorded at a high volume to start with (which will damage speakers). If you get an MB integration kit, be sure to purchase the current version as the software is not upgradable and there are software issues that cause CAN communication problems with newer COMAND software.

Your COMAND, being a 2005 model, will probably read DVD-R discs. This means that you can store 4.7GB-8.4GB of MP3 data on a DVD-R and have quite a bit of music on one disc. Just separate the albums into folders and precede the track name with the track number for proper sorting on the screen. It will not play DVD movies or DVD-A, however.

6) miles between oil changes? what type of oil?
Follow MB 229.5 Specifications - change at interval located on instrument cluster - typically 12k but can vary depending on your driving style
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

7) Anything to lookout for on this car? Should I take it to the dealer and discuss service with them and stuff? Are there scheduled things that must be done? Any other random details I should know?
You can request a VMI from the dealer to possibly get some of the car's service history, and most warranty work/claims. They will need your VIN number.

If you want PM me your email address and VIN I can email you a datacard that shows the factory options (not packages) with initial delivery date, etc., in PDF format.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Your car has appearance package (blue tint, xenons, led tail lights, sport bumpers, 17 inch 5 spoke rims) and from what you say it has premium package (dynamic seats, nav, cd changer, harman/kardon, rear sunshades). On E320s air suspension is an option which comes with the appearance package, E500s have air suspension standard. In 05, MBUSA removed the vent. and heated seats from the premium package. Those options require the comfort seat package. You also have keylessgo. Ya, it's loaded really well, nice buy my friend. Get some clear side markers, you'll love em.

Wait... are those towels on the floor of the front seats. OMG, I did the same thing when I got my car. Then I went and bought these clear plastic floor mats from Wal-Mart cause I was on a date once and she made a comment about the towels (damn women... always gettin' there way ).