E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E550 4matic exhaust dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600
E550 4matic exhaust dilemma

so been reading around the web for information on mufflers for w211's.. didnt really find too much on e550 mostly all e55's. anyway pretty much not sure which brand of muffler to get not simply bcuz im not sure what kind of sound im looking for but whether or not they make the correct size for my car? i brought it into the shop today for them to take a look at it and they said magnaflows would mean they have to cut off certain areas of my stock muffler, meaning it cannot be replaced back to stock. tons of different places would also need to be weld'd in order to fit the magnaflow muffler. im looking for a brand that would fit my e550 and wouldnt need to get off areas of the stock exhaust that would be needed again to put back in. i also have my resonator deleted with straight pipes replacing it but its not near the sound i was hoping to get

also, thinking about removing my secondary cats but the one shop i went to today said if i did that it wouldnt pass the Air-Care we have here in BC. ive heard that there may be other local shops that will still do it so im looking into that however im not really sure how secondary cats work. do i remove that converter and replace it with something? is a pipe supposed to go in its place? x-pipe or straight pipes etc?

thanks for putting up with my newbie questions!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Your cats should not be messed with or replaced by blank pipe. It is illegal in the states to do that, not sure what your locale calls for. A certain amount of back pressure is programmed into you exhaust systems ECU. If you mess with it the program is screwed up and you will not pass emissions and the quality of the exhaust emissions will suffer. Remember our environment? Eisenmann and Remus both make replacement, sport and race mufflers for your car. Contact either one for a dealer near you and to request product info. Magnaflow does not make a product designed for the MB. It would be a ba*****ized setup at best as you have found out.

The more impressive car is the one with power you don't hear coming. Machine like sound not the rumble rumble of the 60's. Loud exhaust noise impresses no one. Think of the car you selected. It is supposed to be refined.

Last edited by ejsheltra; 03-05-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 AM

2007 S600
thanks for your input, as ive been reading around most people had removed their secondary cats and i mustve mistaken with replacing it wiht some sort of pipe thats what i thought it was. anyways i wanted to follow in those steps as well but it may seem like that may not be possible. thanks for letting me know about eisenmann and remus mufflers i will definitly look into those. im looking for something that would fit perfectly on my car so that i can remove my stock muffler without cutting anything that wouldnt allow the stock to fit right back in.

im trying to research as many brands that make mufflers especially for e550's so that they fit properly so please let me know what you guys know!

thanks!
input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by tchu-; 03-06-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=tchu-;3394160]so been reading around the web for information on mufflers for w211's.. didnt really find too much on e550 mostly all e55's. anyway pretty much not sure which brand of muffler to get not simply

--------

here are some sound clips for you man, in case it help.
Remus fits W211 and W 219 perfect.

I have the remus on the SL , sounds amazing,, with the x-pipe and put bullet high flow reconators on each pipe between x-pipe and mufflers to tone the sound..

they are about 20% louder than AMG, but not as loud as Eisenmann, or brabus or magnaflow and have more midtone and less burble

you can use the universal sport remus mufflers or powersound with tunable sound knob to change sound, that will fit great, and are only around $300 ea

best thing about remus,, they own Sebring which make Mercedes mufflers AMG mufflers,
they make brabus mufflers, and they sound awesome but are not as loud
as the eisenmann, or brabus. and have a great midtone howl totally euro sounding.. not ghetto

here is a W211 with REMUS beast but should add the resonators like I did to mellow the sound a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkRekq5cR0

FERRARI with remus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eBgLI4HhP8

M5 with remus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7TsT6G1X0

audi with remus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h42DObnBmM

M3 2008 with remus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBTd...eature=related

best sound that is not too loud, wont drone, as long as you put high flow resonators on, and are best band for buck bar none.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM

2007 S600
thanks storm, since my e550 to exhaust pipes, that means im goign to need to buy 2 mufflers right?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Your car has 4 cats and 1 resonator for emissions components. Removing the secondary cats and replacing the resonator with an x-pipe will not cause you to fail emissions. The 0^2 sensor is after the primary cats, so keep those.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM

2007 S600
i think i just may have to look for a new shop that is willing to do it then i guess right? also to clarify, i replaced the resonator with 2 straight pipes already, and removing 2ndary cats means i have to replace it with an xpipe or a pipe of some sort? or do i just simply remove it without replacing something in its spot? not too sure how all the connections work under there.
thanks

still doing some research on made for mercedes e550 perfect fit mufflers.
input please!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Your car has 4 cats and 1 resonator for emissions components. Removing the secondary cats and replacing the resonator with an x-pipe will not cause you to fail emissions. The 0^2 sensor is after the primary cats, so keep those.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't 100% it was 4 cats but you seem to know. Check your PMs I have some questions...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Normally, the method is to remove the secondary cats and replace with s straight pipes, then remove the resonator and replace with an x-pipe. You're setup is going to be a bit different but will physically work.

You normally want the x-pipe at the spot where there is the highest amount of dynamic pressure. This just so happens to be where the OEM resonator is.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=tchu-;3395206]i think i just may have to look for a new shop that is willing to do it then i guess right? also to clarify, i replaced the resonator with 2 straight pipes already, and removing 2ndary cats means i have to replace it with an xpipe or a pipe of some sort? or do i just simply remove it without replacing something in its spot? not too sure how all the connections work under there.
thanks

hi

dont remove the second cats and resonators it will sound like crap

this is what you need to do.. to make it sound euro and good, the right way, not ghetto a like a muscle car

STAGE 1 exhaust about $ 1200-$1500 including labor addtional 10hp

1 get an X-pipe and replace your stock resonator with it same location.

2 get 2 remus mufflers and put them on the car, either sport or power models

3 put 2 bullet resonators high flow models that are small, look like big pipes, 1/2 way between after the X-pipe and before the Mufflers to tone the sound and reduce drone and resonance.. this will NOT affect performance in any way,, as they are straigh through design. high flow

4 use 2.5 to 2.75" piping from the cats back if you have a non AMG car,
use 3" piping if you have AMG use 304 stainless steel for both

now that is MIN to do for good sound and like 10 hp

stage 2 so to speak to take it to the lext level $500 with labor
maybe add 5hp

replace the 2nd cats with HIGH flow 200 cel racing cats..and again a midpipe 2.5 to 2.75" or 3"

stage 3 so to speak, $2500-$3000 add another 25-35 hp
to get even more power, is to
replace the headers with aftermarket , either Kleeman 35hp or VRP 25 HP.
and use a 2.5" or 2.75" downpipe with Primary racing 200 cel cats,,

stage 4, ECU tune $800-1200
add another 20-25hp

if you do all the above you should get about 60hp total at least
maybe 65 hp is you are lucky with air filters and cats

this is the proper way to do an exhaust, from the back up front, from teh customer point of view
so you can see what you like as far as sound in stages how loud
and what sound you get in STAGES, and power etc..

so start with CAT BACK and then move forward, but
DO NOT JUST START HACKING INTO YOUR CATS, and REMOVING RESONATORS, that is the cheap way,, and wll be way to loud and not the righ way to do things as you have not replaces the piping with large diameter pipes, so its still a bottleneck

this is the world class way to do it......... in stages if you are short on cash, or if you have the money do it all,

Last edited by storm; 03-08-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 PM

2008 E550 4MATIC
Would you please tell me what effects that the removal of your resonator had? Just better sound, and did you do it yourself? Thanks

Brian
Old 11-18-2013, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
$140 exhaust modfication, muffler delete with Helmholtz resonators. I'm so happy with this setup and the exotic sound I get when I let off the gas as well as the good combination of sedate driving tone versus the wide open throttle sound.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...althrough.html
Old 03-12-2016, 04:59 AM

2007 e550 4 matic
i got a 07 e550 4 matic i did a muffler delete then what i did was i got an x pipe, now im noticing that its not popping as much and i want a louder tone to it so idn if i should exchange my secondary cats to high flow cats any ideas thanks?