E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Proper starting procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI
Proper starting procedure

How’s this for being a dullard. This is the first diesel that I’ve had since the early 80s when I used my father’s 350SD on occasion. I know the old way, you know with a key, to start a diesel (insert key turn to accessory position, wait for glow plugs to warm) but my CDI has the keyless go and I really like the feature but don’t want to muck up the car using it. So…. to properly start my CDI with keyless go, do I:

-Press the Start Button twice (foot off the brake) and bring the electrics online and wait for the glow plug indicator to fade and then place foot on brake and press the Start Button to activate the engine.

Or

-Put foot on brake and press the Start button right from the get go? It seems to waste no time starting the engine like this (often times the glowplug light is still illuminated as it is cranking) and it makes me wonder if perhaps this isn’t the incorrect option.

I appreciate the input!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-320 Bluetec
I've got the keyless go on my Bluetec, and all I've ever done is push the button. If it's really cold it may take a split second longer. My car is in the garage most of the time, so don't know how long the glow plugs would make me wait if it's really cold,