E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question on tire replacement...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Question Question on tire replacement...

Hey guys,

The tires on our E are getting close to needing a replacement. I know I'm gonna catch a lot of slack for saying this, but I can't stand those low profile tires. The ride is rough!!!

Do I have to replace the tires with low profile because I have the big rims (see below -- not actual photo) or can I get regular tires? And, if so, any recommendations? I'm in South Florida and I want big fluffly ride!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I don't know about all tire retailers but I can tell you that the chain stores are prohibited from installing alternate size tires that exceed 3% in diameter. The reason is for the speedometer error it creates. In addition, they will not install a LOWER speed rating than the factory application. So, by my statements, you are pretty limited in changing. I can sympathizare with the ride characteristics. Some older metropolitan areas have such poor paving that rims / tires take a pounding. Several threads on this board about the abuse they suffer from rims / tires with low profiles . The younger guys on this board are all about style and bling and I can assure you that someone will want those 18"? rims. I am more a form / function guy and the lowly 16" 10 spokers that came on my car are functional, classic style and take the soft donuts you seek.