E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What do i need for ind. garage to change my transmission fluid and filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GTs
What do i need for ind. garage to change my transmission fluid and filter?

Hello all, are there any transmission fluid and filter kit available for 04 e500 4matic?
are there any DIY for transmission oil and filter change?
i went to the stealer today and asked and they said 490+ tax....so i just got the motor oil changed instead.. $89+tax seems cheap for mobil 1 synthetic +filter change.
please help. Thank you! i have 71k miles on my car.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Might want to contact the dealer again and verify the price they suggested is for your 5 speed and not a newer 7 speed. The latter procedure is much more complicated.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
That is a pretty penny.

For the 722.6 5spd you need MB's (basically proprietary) fluid for the 722.6 or the (usually) cheaper backward compatible fluid for the 722.9 + filter + lock pin. Gasket is usually fine. You or your indy will need the factory dip stick tool and some way to measure fluid temp to fill properly.

04 should not have the torque converter drain plug so prob need 5L, maybe 6.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
This question brings up a question I've had for quite a while. I'm curious what the forum watchers see in using independent service people vs dealers or as some put it "stealers" - In checking labor rates at both dealers and independents I find that they vary only by a few dollars an hour always less than 5.00 per hour - also, I find it hard to believe that most if any independent can have access to the informational software and tools much less the expertise the dealers have - in addition to the warranty factors of using independents.

I have never found that prices at the dealer are any higher than the independents when checking on prices for things - so what's the deal?

Is my experience unique living in a relatively small area such as Spokane where we have a dealer I trust and independents that I question?

I'd love to hear from those of you that have other experiences -

Thanks

Steve
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
The indy I use (european car repair shop) is substantially cheaper (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area). He is also easier to get on the phone, shows me whats wrong, is more willing to negotiations and works faster. He always tries to beat the dealer quotes for service and he doesn't charge for estimates (local dealer here charges an $89 "diagnostic fee"). I just replaced a front airmatic strut and saved $300 compared to what my dealer SA quoted me, new MB parts with warranty on parts and labor. Obviously, you have to do your research and find a reputable, honest shop with years of service in your area.

Last edited by locomercedes; 03-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Steve - Indy shops specializing in work on newer MB models as an alternative to the dealer will usually have SDS or another high end scanner capapble of capturing live data from all modules providing same. The principals most often were trained by MB and worked at a dealer before striking out on their own. Shops working on older models may not have the scanners needed for todays models and might be at a disadvantage. Most will tell you what they can and cant do.

My logic has always been to let the dealer do most of the warranty/service if still under warranty. After its expired I do most of it myself or let a qualified indy do what I don't want to do. As with anything, the amount of competition effects cost greatly.