The MBUSA word on Navigation and V60 Voice Activated Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 03:48 PM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
The MBUSA word on Navigation and V60 Voice Activated Phone

I sent off an email to MBUSA on the nav and voice activated phone. I got a call today from Michael at MBUSA. He was very clear and helpful.

He said without equivocation that all cars manufactured up to the end of 2002 were pre-wired for Navigation and it can be installed when released. The car did not have to be delivered before the first of the year, it has to have left the factory before the first of the year.

Michael indicated that the cars manufactured after the first of the year are not pre-wired for the navigation and, therefore, cannot have a later install. Those wanting it would need to delay manufacture until it is released.

Michael said, that MB is doing final testing on the navigation and that the announcement would be made of its release when they are sure it will be available. He indicated that MB did not want to give a firm date before hand so as to not raise and fail to meet expectations, but that it is still expected within the first quarter of this year. From my perspective, that is exactly what I have been told from the day I took delivery so that doesn't disappoint me.

On the voice activated V60, he indicated that it, too, is projected to be released in the first quarter, but there is no firm date yet for the same reasons. Michael did indicate that the voice activation module can be added to the regular V60 phone if installed now.

Michael indicated that if anyone has a problem or doesn't believe this, they should call MBUSA at 1-800-For-Mercedes.

All in all, I felt comfortable with the answers. If you need more, give them a call. I have never had any conflicting information from my several calls with them.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2003, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Jeff...that is a much more definitive answer than we have been seeing. I think the problem is that in lieu of any official word from MB, we hear uninformed remarks and rumors from salesmen, dealers and some at MBUSA.

Many people on this forum have reported 180 degree answers from what you got. I have always heard the first quarter and had hoped for February or so.

I will go with the answer you got until someone else comes up with something different. Sure wish I had it to go on my little drive...hope I don't get lost:p

Ed
Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 PM

2003 MB E500
Thanks for the info and checking with MB again Jeff. Maybe part of the confusion about not being able to be retrofit is that cars made after the first of the year cannot be retrofit but cars made in 2002 can. I too have never been told anything else by MB. Looks like all we have to do is wait until the release and enjoy our $500 discount!
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 PM

2003 E500
Thanks, Jeff. I, too, have been awaiting correct info for both Nav and VR, as I have already paid for them! I'm sure that you will keep us posted on the actual release dates.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:54 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Oh, I forgot to add one additional bit of information. Michael at MBUSA indicated that there is no confusion in the information being given to the dealers. He told me that the dealers have all been told the information he shared with me. I frankly can understand that.

Once again, second and third and fourth hand information loses a lot in the translation. No one is out to deceive, I think it is all in good faith. Just try telling someone what was in my first post in this thread and have them tell a third person and perhaps them a fourth person. Then ask the third or fourth person what was said.

I conclude from my consistent comfort from consistent answers from calls to 1-800-For-Mercedes, that I will contact MBUSA when in doubt. I will follow up on the Voice Activated V60 and the Navigation and share information. I assume a month will pass before there will be more.

In the meantime, decide to go places you know how to get to (or perish the thought, use a....a....a...[whisper].... map). Mostly continue to enjoy these great cars!!

Jeff