E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 Wagon Power Tailgate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Wagon Power Tailgate

Hi,

I recently purchase a CPO 2004 E320 wagon. It seems to have all the luxury features including Key Less Go and I suspect it has a power tailgate. Some motor does seem to pull the tailgate the last few inches to securely closed. The distance that it will close from has varied from 3 to ½ inch. In reading the forums, it seems that some sort of power tail gate is an option.

Is there any way to tell if the car definitely has the option of a power tailgate? To me a power tailgate means that I push tailgate icon on the key and the gate comes all the way open. Then when pushed again the tailgate will close. Is this how it should work?

Is it possible that a defective power tailgate can cause a dead battery? I have a 1 month old battery and it was completely dead this morning. The car had only been parked for one whole day and should have had a full charge as it was driven short distances and the headlights were not used. If we are very careful to make sure that the tailgate is fully charged will the battery stay charged?

I am 2+ hours from a dealer that I would trust with this car. This is obviously a dealer issue as the car is still warranted . However, I would like to know the answer to these questions, so that I can determine the urgency of the trip to Monterey or Santa Barbara. I would also like to guide the dealer in making the appropriate repair.

Thanks, Richard
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Is the tailgate

button on your key?
You can run the vin and see exactly what options came on the car,pm me if you need the link.
04 get the trans fluid and filter changed,if it has not already been done.
Make sure it is all locked up and charge the battery via the under hood charging post overnight on a 10 amp charger.