E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear sunshade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e-500
Rear sunshade

Does anyone know whether it's possible to retrofit the rear sunshade into the 211? For that matter, can the side windows be retrofitted as well?
Old 02-05-2003, 11:38 AM

2003 MB E500
The side shades can be purchased as an accessory but I don't think they look as nice or retrack into the door like the factory instaled ones. I don't think the rear shade can be added later.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:54 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Most items can be retrofitted provided your willing to pay for it, note that on buying these items for retro fit you are paying for a spare part now (did i forget to mention where manufacturers make their real money) , and its gonna cost ya, the side blinds are obviously too expensive to justify as your prob need to change your rear door panels, we tried to retro fit a rear sun shade on our old w210, when we went to the dealer we got a quote for the actual sunshade, a new rear panel to house it a switch and wiring (all as individual spare parts) plus labour, needless to say it was for a ****load of money at which point we decided the sun didnt feel so hot on our backs anymore
Old 02-05-2003, 11:54 AM

2003 e-500
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:22 PM

E 320
Agree

I asked my dealer 2 days ago when I bougt my car.
They said: No to both.
(so I guess unless you are willing to pay extraordinary money it is not a practical thing to add....)

Wonder if someone has a suggestion for cutting extra heat without a factory installed rear and side sunshades. It gets HOT for a few months where I am.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
I retrofitted the side window blinds on a W210 for $160 - Ofcourse they do not retract into the door .. they sit above the door panel. The rear window sunshade is a different story. If you want the automatic one like mellow said, you are in for a butt load of money. Otherwise, you can also retrofit the manual one (you retract it by hand just like the side blinds) for $150.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 AM

2023 E450 wagon 2011 Toyota Tacoma
Re: Agree

Originally posted by IQguy

Wonder if someone has a suggestion for cutting extra heat without a factory installed rear and side sunshades. It gets HOT for a few months where I am.
You're location is Northern California and you say it gets HOT for a few months where you are. I am assuming you're closer to Central Valley Northern California and not the SF/Bay Area Northern California. If that's so, you're probably near a Pep Boys or a Kragen. Those stores, and probably any other auto parts store, have window shades that use suction cups to stick to the inside windows and can be folded up into something about the size of flat frisbee for storage. There are various sizes and shapes available. I have two sets that cover the passenger and driver side side windows in the front and back seat and a larger oval shaped one that fits in the rear window of my wagon. They aren't a perfect fit but they cover enough of the window to do as good a job as the factory installed window shades from what I can tell. They do an impressive job of cutting the heat and can still be used while you're driving. There are also solid material ones that are even better but you can't see through them so you can only use them when you're parked. Check 'em out.