Help with MB payoff question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Help with MB payoff question

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me out with a payoff question? I've spoke with MB financial many time but they have no answer for me.

My car is leased.
I want to sell my car to a buyer from Arizona. (In Arizona you don't have to pay for the used car tax.)

Now MB financial gave me two price quote, the first one in $56K included CA 9.25% tax, the 2nd payoff is without CA tax and is $51K.

Here is the question, MB financial rep. told me in order to get the title from MB benz for your car, you MUST pay for the CA tax. But I asked them what about a buyer is from Arizona, he/she don't have to pay for the used car tax. They have no answer for me. They said if you want to pay it off, you have to pay the payoff amount for your car and plus your city/state tax.

Why a buyer from Arizona need to pay for the CA tax since Arizona don't need to pay for the used car tax?

It was not like this before, I paid off my other MB and BMW no need to collect the tax first. They always sent you the title and you go DMV register yourself and pay for the used car tax.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by gl996tt; 06-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.