E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT3, GTR, 570S
Extended warranty

Is the MB ELW refundable if the car is sold or totaled before the factory new car warranty expires? What if its sold during the extended warranty period? Is the warranty transferrable to the next owner?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My selling dealer in '04 (PA) said it was, but when I traded the car in 11/06, it was a total loss... No pro-rated refund. That policy booklet made no mention of any pro rated refund.

On my '07 That Dealer (FL) told me it was pro rate-able, but is says nothing about pro rating a refund in that booklet. BOTH booklets mentioned cancellation/refund policy explicitly, so I'm guessing you can give the policy to a new owner, but not pro rated cancel it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My selling dealer in '04 (PA) said it was, but when I traded the car in 11/06, it was a total loss... No pro-rated refund. That policy booklet made no mention of any pro rated refund.

On my '07 That Dealer (FL) told me it was pro rate-able, but is says nothing about pro rating a refund in that booklet. BOTH booklets mentioned cancellation/refund policy explicitly, so I'm guessing you can give the policy to a new owner, but not pro rated cancel it.

That's an interesting point. I was told by multiple dealers that the MB ELW is 100% refundable if you are still within your original Factory Warranty period (didn't use the ELW yet), and eligible for pro-rated refund if you totalled or sold your car during the ELW period. I'm going to have to go through the contract's T&C in more detail to see what it says...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in selling my 2003 C230 Kompressor that is still under MB ELW, I called MBUSA to inquire about getting a pro-rated refund on the policy if the new owner didn't want ELW and wanted to save a few bucks, and I was told to contact the Dealership Finance Department where I purchased the vehicle from to arrange for a prorated refund (apparently the Dealership's Finance Department is responsible for processing the refund). I called them, left a message, but have yet to hear back from them. This was a couple weeks ago... I'll try again, and worse comes to worse, I'll drop by in person so they can't ignore me.

Last edited by chokaay; 07-13-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by chokaay
That's an interesting point. I was told by multiple dealers that the MB ELW is 100% refundable if you are still within your original Factory Warranty period (didn't use the ELW yet), and eligible for pro-rated refund if you totalled or sold your car during the ELW period. I'm going to have to go through the contract's T&C in more detail to see what it says...

Actually you ARE using it concurrently with the MFG warranty. Since they sell you a 7 year contract, yet you are only receiving 3 extra years of actual coverage, so that MUST mean that they run concurrently. 4 of the 7 years run at the same time as your new car warranty. Crazy, aint it?

The policy booklet spells out your refund policy pretty clearly. I assume that different states my have different laws & slightly different policy documents to remain in compliance with applicable law.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

Actually, you are entitled to get a pro- rated refund as long as ...

1) The amount of repairs covered under the ELW does not exceed what you have spent on the ELW
2) The date of cancellation of your ELW is before the expiration date of the ELW

When I lost my car due to a total loss from an accident, MB refunded me 77% of my ELW. The Extended Warranty Department within MBUSA computed the cost for the repairs covered under the ELW and the remaining months available on my contract and sent me a check for the loss. The trick is the moment you need to cancel your ELW, contact the finance mgr of the dealership, they will log onto the system and create a cancellation request.

Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM

GT3, GTR, 570S
Ok Im even more confused now after speaking with several finance managers. Does the ELW truly give you a 5,6,7 yr or 100k warranty or a 1,2,3 yr extension up to 100k? There is a differnece. One manager said that MB has really changed their policy and that it is a 5,6,7 or 100k mile warrnty, whichever comes first. Others have stated that the extension starts at the expiration of the factory warranty. If I drive 25k miles a yr, the factory warranty will expire in 2 years. If the ELW begins right then, I would need another 2 yrs to get to 100k miles. So in essence they say I need to purchase the 6/100. Another manager says all i need is the 5/100 since i will reach 100k in 4 yrs. Following me??? Which is correct.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 PM

2005 E500, 2011 ML350
"Old" ELW was sold as 12/24/36mo 100Kmi coverage. This coverage starts when factory 4/50 warranty ends. So if you come in for warr service at 2.5years of ownership, but have over 50k miles, and have repairs performed under ELW, the warr starts ticking the clock then. Kinda sucks.......

The "new" ELW is sold as 5/6/7 year coverage with 75k or 100k total mile coverage. This warr runs from vehicle in-service date.

I believe the new policy started a year or so ago. You may now also purchase ELW after time of sale for a small surcharge.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 PM

GT3, GTR, 570S
Originally Posted by MB211
"Old" ELW was sold as 12/24/36mo 100Kmi coverage. This coverage starts when factory 4/50 warranty ends. So if you come in for warr service at 2.5years of ownership, but have over 50k miles, and have repairs performed under ELW, the warr starts ticking the clock then. Kinda sucks.......

The "new" ELW is sold as 5/6/7 year coverage with 75k or 100k total mile coverage. This warr runs from vehicle in-service date.

I believe the new policy started a year or so ago. You may now also purchase ELW after time of sale for a small surcharge.
so they DID change the policy recently! why do some finance managers not know this
dont I have 30 days to pick up the ELW without surcharge?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Yes, you have 30days to purchase w/o additional surcharge (15% I believe). The NEW ELW is fully refundable up to the expiration of the 4yr/50k warr as well. The OLD ELW had a 60 day refund policy.

Both warr are fully transferable in a private party sale. There is no transfer fee.