E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HIDExtra - H7 8000K - perfect HID upgrade - no cutting/modifying - my experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by CEB
...that your mechanic is wrong. The correct housings are different....
Yeah, probably. { no, "not probably" see edit below} But like I said it's pretty moot for me. I rarely drive it at night (don't know why I even put in HIDs); in fact I have an insurance policy that only allows 5k a year (but with an agreed upon value.)

Edit: turns out my mechanic was correct. I stopped in this morning and he showed me the PET. The projector unit itself is the same. Litronics has the sensors and the control unit for leveling. The non-Litronics do not. But the actual projectors are the same. My housing uses halogen for the high beams and HIDs for the low beams. The cut-off is correct and there is no glare (the lens is also correct for xenon projection.)

If one wants to say that leveling is necessary by law (as are headlamp washers) I agree with that; no denying that. So I'll admit that perhaps if the car is loaded differently or on a rise of a hill, etc., that I possibly could "blind" someone. But the car is very low to the ground as it is. I'm running 4300-4500k lamps and as lows only. But I have the projectors and the lens (and headlamp washers ) So I'm comfortable with it.

The later version bi-Xenons Litronics have the mask, of course, since they use the bulb as both hi and lo beam.

Last edited by 220S; 07-21-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GTS
blah blah blah 8K HID light belongs on a civic period.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 E320
...I just intalled 8ks on my E class - couldn't be happier. I'd compare it to a RangeRover's set up. Not Rice at all contrary to common belief. All of my friends were on some ''don't go any higher than 4or6k....well, just my opinion, but the 8ks look good. Perfect combo of light blue/purple - maybe the projector makes it look less cheezy than some rust bucket w/ halogen reflectors w/ an 8k kit...who knows?!?
The only problem I ran into is my POLARGsuperwhite parking light look way dim so I ordered a set of LEDs from AUTOlumination (supposed to be an error free LED) HIDs I got are APEXcone 8ks - no "lamp deffective" warning so far an I couldn't be happier.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Nice wheels Nelson09! I was looking at those for my w211 wagon, before landing on a set of used 19" Carlsson 1/6.

i couldn't agree with you more about the projector housing vs. halogen housing thing. regardless of whether the projectors were designed for halogen or HID, the proof is in the pudding. in my case, the projectors confine the beam just fine. no blinding effects and they light up the road plenty for me with no eye strain/fatigue (just did a 6 hour road trip 1/2 of which was at night).
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'm not sure about the MB projectors as my current (and my previous MB) has active Bi-Xenon.

But despite what CEB (aka Mr. Rogers) claims (see above post https://mbworld.org/forums/3631396-post26.html), my Porsche projectors (just the projectors and lens) are identical to the original factory option (single xenon) projectors. The depth is the same, the reflector is the same. And the glass is the same (yes glass, it's a 933 and the first model of 911 for the single xenon option.)

What's missing is the leveling control. That could be a "problem" with using existing projectors. But if the cut off is fine and you are using them as only low beams, I'd say you're okay. Unless you've loaded the trunk to capacity for your next drug run.

The law now states that you must have headlamp washers and self-leveling to be legal. But I've yet to hear of any fix-it tickets around here, unless you're running obviously super blue 8-10000k lamps and also high beams.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 E320
Thanks man, nothing wrong with Carlsson's though
(especially if you got a smokin' deal) Just the other night I saw a black ///AMG SL (the previous generation) on a mean staggered chrome multipiece set - I'm not really a fan of chrome wheels - but I must say I was pretty envious
LOL there are some good senses of humour in here - I love it. Everyone have a good weekend...over and out
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by 220S
I'm not sure about the MB projectors as my current (and my previous MB) has active Bi-Xenon.

But despite what CEB (aka Mr. Rogers) claims (see above post https://mbworld.org/forums/3631396-post26.html), my Porsche projectors (just the projectors and lens) are identical to the original factory option (single xenon) projectors. The depth is the same, the reflector is the same. And the glass is the same (yes glass, it's a 933 and the first model of 911 for the single xenon option.)

What's missing is the leveling control. That could be a "problem" with using existing projectors. But if the cut off is fine and you are using them as only low beams, I'd say you're okay. Unless you've loaded the trunk to capacity for your next drug run.

The law now states that you must have headlamp washers and self-leveling to be legal. But I've yet to hear of any fix-it tickets around here, unless you're running obviously super blue 8-10000k lamps and also high beams.
If you have 4300k - 6000k, the cops mostly likely can't tell if they are aftermarket unless you make it really obvious, or they're on a really old car. The lenses for MBs are different on the cars minus the S, CL, and SL (they all come with BiXenon standard). The E does have a different lens cause the BiXenon ones turn (the projector that is) while driving and turning.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
some pics for you

with 8k hids and all