E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HIDExtra - H7 8000K - perfect HID upgrade - no cutting/modifying - my experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
HIDExtra - H7 8000K - perfect HID upgrade - no cutting/modifying - my experience

Okay,

Anyone on the fence about getting HID's, here's my experience. I purchased the HIDExtra lights which are advertised on this forum for pretty much the lowest price you'll find for these type of lights. I went with the recommended H7, 8000K which are extremely bright and give a whitish/pale blue tint.

First HIDExtra ships their stuff USPS in a plain cardboard box, nothing fancy. You get all the standard stuff to install your lights which I won't go into here since there's already a great post on this anyway in this forum (it's what I used to guide me in my install).

So, here's the good and the bad. The good is, the install really is simple everything from installing wires into ballasts and running the power leads to the original sockets is pretty much a no-brainer. The real challenge is the lame metal bracket used to hold the H7 HID bulb. First there is a rubber gasket that covers the base of the bulb and makes it a bit thick to fit into the stock metal bracket up against the base of the HID bulb. In fact, on the second bulb, I ended up slightly cutting the rubber gasket (hope that won't leave any lingering issues) as I forced the bracket onto the HID bulb base. Once you get get these two matched up, it's off to placing it into the lense socket. Good luck here. it took me at least 20 minutes each side of cursing, and fiddling to finally get it to fit into the socket.

So..that's the bad. Believe it or not, that's the only bad in this installation. If anyone has a better way of installing these lame brackets to HID bulbs and getting the assembly into the lense socket, I'm all ears.

One final note, HIDExtra will offer you a 'bypass' wire with the kit for free. It's basically a wire that has what appears to be about 5 or 6 capacitors installed in series onto it. Before I even turned on these lights, I did install this bypass wire which you place into the ballast. Basically, the HID light will turn on, then off immediately. I removed the wire and ran the stock wiring and 'voila' lights turned on, no flickering and no warning lights on the dashboard. At least in my case, a 2004 W211 Estate Wagon, you don't need this bypass wire.

I do hope these lights and ballasts last the life of my car.

For now, I give HIDExtra a 9/10.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Not to rain on your parade....

Originally Posted by aa240sx
Okay,

Anyone on the fence about getting HID's, here's my experience. I purchased the HIDExtra lights which are advertised on this forum for pretty much the lowest price you'll find for these type of lights. I went with the recommended H7, 8000K which are extremely bright and give a whitish/pale blue tint.

First HIDExtra ships their stuff USPS in a plain cardboard box, nothing fancy. You get all the standard stuff to install your lights which I won't go into here since there's already a great post on this anyway in this forum (it's what I used to guide me in my install).

So, here's the good and the bad. The good is, the install really is simple everything from installing wires into ballasts and running the power leads to the original sockets is pretty much a no-brainer. The real challenge is the lame metal bracket used to hold the H7 HID bulb. First there is a rubber gasket that covers the base of the bulb and makes it a bit thick to fit into the stock metal bracket up against the base of the HID bulb. In fact, on the second bulb, I ended up slightly cutting the rubber gasket (hope that won't leave any lingering issues) as I forced the bracket onto the HID bulb base. Once you get get these two matched up, it's off to placing it into the lense socket. Good luck here. it took me at least 20 minutes each side of cursing, and fiddling to finally get it to fit into the socket.

So..that's the bad. Believe it or not, that's the only bad in this installation. If anyone has a better way of installing these lame brackets to HID bulbs and getting the assembly into the lense socket, I'm all ears.

One final note, HIDExtra will offer you a 'bypass' wire with the kit for free. It's basically a wire that has what appears to be about 5 or 6 capacitors installed in series onto it. Before I even turned on these lights, I did install this bypass wire which you place into the ballast. Basically, the HID light will turn on, then off immediately. I removed the wire and ran the stock wiring and 'voila' lights turned on, no flickering and no warning lights on the dashboard. At least in my case, a 2004 W211 Estate Wagon, you don't need this bypass wire.

I do hope these lights and ballasts last the life of my car.

For now, I give HIDExtra a 9/10.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Appreciate the counter point CEB. People will choose to do what they do. To me, the link gave a lot of scientific data that resulted in being told that HID lights give no better output than Halogen or they give a light spread that's unsafe. I disagree. From a simple qualitative POV, the light looks brighter and when aimed properly does not cause blindness to oncoming traffic. Again, my opinion, my choice. The author of this 'link' is really swimming against the mainstream and I appreciate that. Fight the good fight!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Appreciate the counter point CEB. People will choose to do what they do. To me, the link gave a lot of scientific data that resulted in being told that HID lights give no better output than Halogen or they give a light spread that's unsafe. I disagree. From a simple qualitative POV, the light looks brighter and when aimed properly does not cause blindness to oncoming traffic. Again, my opinion, my choice. The author of this 'link' is really swimming against the mainstream and I appreciate that. Fight the good fight!
Agree. With proper aiming, the lights won't bother anyone. I have BiXenon's on both my E and our CL, neither of which shoots too high or bothers others. It's those ricers and big trucks and suvs (especially the raised ones) that put HID's on and blind others. Even sometimes with halogen lights on a truck or suv, they might be too bright and hit you straight in the eyes from front or back.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Um, I'm not sure that you actually read the article. Because that's not anywhere close to what Stern is saying.

Anyway, 8000k is too cold to match OEM. It ends up looking Ricer, imho. And in the end, that cold a color temp puts out less lumens than say, 4500k.

But, yes, it's your choice. Enjoy.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
I am starting to get annoyed with how people are linking this website in response to fellow members getting 8k hid's, or just other people calling those members 'ricers' and such terms because of their 8k hid preference.

First off, to all the people who feel that 8k hid's are so dangerous on the road to other drivers, and because you obviously CARE about safety that much, then here's a list of what you also shouldn't do:

-Don't do 10 or more above the speed limit.
-Don't drive at night.
-Don't let your kids drive until they are 25.
-Don't drive a Mercedes because your car will attract too much attention from other drivers, becoming a distraction to them and causing hazardous driving conditions.
-Don't drive fast.
-Don't switch lanes too often.
-Don't run yellow lights.

And if you do, SOMEBODY here on mbworld should find a website for you to go to, like the one CEB gave to us.

Last edited by Dtv211; 07-14-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 AM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
hilarious dtv211 - i couldn't agree more. there's arguments out there against aftermarket wheels for cryin out loud. if i listened to every 'stern' out there, i wouldn't even have a benz.....

why? cuz the money i spent on it was from vegas winnings. seriously.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think you guys quite get it. It has nothing to do with not using HIDs. I highly recommend HIDs. But the issue is the lens that the lamps are fitted into. If you don't have proper projector lenses that are made for HID (and can also use halogen), then the HID projection on the road is incorrect.

That's the whole point (and only point) of the article that CEB posted. In another article Stern claims HIDs are not quite road worthy. I disagree with that assessment.

I replaced my halogens on my Porsche with aftermarket HIDs. Although I went with 4500k since they are brighter (temp color and lumens are two different things) than 8000k+ bulbs, and because they look like OEM (and there's a big reason OEM lamps are not 8000k+) My Porsche came from the factory with projector lenses. But they were equipped with halogen bulbs. Therefore putting in HIDs created no issues whatsoever. They were meant for either halogen or Xenon.

If you have projector lenses in the vehicle, then there's no problem. Other than possibly ending up with cheap ballasts that won't last very long or begin to flicker in a short time. The majority of them are inexpensive Chinese made units.

As far as color temp is concerned, just understand that a higher temp does not correlate with more brightness. They only appear brighter because of the blueish tint.

4100k to 4500k is the ideal HID color temperature to produce the maximum amount of light (lumens), and that is the reason all OEM manufacturers equip their vehicles with these types of bulbs. 8000k lamps only produce 2900 lumens. 4500k lamps produce 3200 lumens. Those blue lights are not brighter, they are dimmer.

And yes, I personally feel blue lights look Ricer. Because no OEM lamps are blue. Higher k lamps are sold only for looks. And the Ricer crowd adopted blue lights because their cars were not equipped with factory HIDs. After all, when Xenon lamps first came out, they were on high end cars only. And Ricers (and trucks/SUV owners) are still installing 8000-10000k lamps in non-Xenon fittings. In other words, scattering blue light all over the road.

And, imho, blue lights look cheap. But you are entitled to do whatever please you. So, like I said earlier, enjoy
The following users liked this post:
bernard farquar (12-30-2018)
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya, if the angle is correct there is no problem. That's why I notice when suvs such as range rovers, MLs, or GLs with HIDs come toward me, the projection is angled not to bother other drivers (now it's different if the driver left her high beams on ). That's why even OEM xenons that had non-projector lenses from MB still came with auto leveling (the height of the light adjusts in conjunction with weight in the car), such as the R170 SLK. And that is why 911s, MBs, BMWs, Audis, with HIDs come with the auto level feature so the light doesn't shoot to high.

Also you have to remember with OEM BiXenons, that the HID on low beam, isn't "open" all the way. When the high beam is turned on, the lense is opened all the way to shoot the full power of the HID light and there is a halogen high beam bulb to help out as well.

A lot of these do come from china and they are mostly POS. I mean I've seen on ebay $30 for the kit. I mean, how long is the ballast gonna last. I had a sample HID kit once a couple of years ago from hong kong. The cost from the factory was $90. So think what that would sell retail, that's quality. My friend when he got his F150 back in the late 90s (this is a while ago) bought one of the first aftermarket HID kits that were out back then. He paid around $2000 with install. The units were made in Japan (yes in Japan) and the original bulbs up until a year ago (since he sold the car after that) still had not burned out and the ballasts never had a problem.

My favorite temp for HIDs are 4300k which is pretty much what OEM uses. I think the 3000K (yellow light) is really ugly and cheap looking. Been seeing it a lot lately. Honestly, 6000k and 8000k, I think is still ok, but wouldn't put on my cars. Anything over is just pointless. I live in the valley here, so I see a lot of these trucks and suvs with 12000K (the bright purple) xenons. They just shoot light into everyone's eyes and it doesn't even light the road. Even 10000K is too much.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Generally speaking....

...the author of that article is anti-HID - a position that I disagree with vehemently, but he is dead on correct about HID kits and the color temp issues.

In most other countries aside from the US (FMVSS 108 is silent on auto leveling) you must have auto leveling for HIDs and in most European countries you need a dash operated manual levelers.

The bottom line is that it is impossible to install a HID kit in the halogen housings and have it work even close to properly. You need the proper HID housings...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this a W211 forum? Not trying to be a smarta$$, but aren't all w211's regardless of whether they came with HID originally or not equipped with projector housings. I just checked this sub forum for pictures and one after another came up with projectors in the lense.

There's some folks here saying we shouldn't do this if we don't have projector housings, but w211 owners do have them. Not only that, but I just did a ton of driving last night and the cutoff is really perfect even without adjusting the headlight. Noone was getting blinded by these lights.

I mention this only because I really wasn't trying to get a whole thing started about whether or not to use HIDs, but believe me, if my car didn't have a projector housing I wouldn't do it. Yup, it would look ghetto to me.

As for my choice to use 8000K, pretty subjective here. I like it though.

Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong about projector housings being standard equipment on W211s. I posted specifically in this group, so there wouldn't be this kind of miscommunication.

Last edited by aa240sx; 07-16-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope. Nothing wrong. I only pointed out that you got the basic premise of the article that was originally posted wrong. And I said in my second post that using projectors is no issue.

And I stand by my belief that these days 8000k and more just looks Ricer. Like spinning wheels. In my mind it doesn't stand out in a good way, it just looks too obviously aftermarket and kinda cheap. Again, my opinion.

And that a lower k will give you a lot more brightness than a higher k. Which is why mfgs use a lower k as their OEM.

Not sure what else is going on

Cheers.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think that you read the article...

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this a W211 forum? Not trying to be a smarta$$, but aren't all w211's regardless of whether they came with HID originally or not equipped with projector housings. I just checked this sub forum for pictures and one after another came up with projectors in the lense.

There's some folks here saying we shouldn't do this if we don't have projector housings, but w211 owners do have them. Not only that, but I just did a ton of driving last night and the cutoff is really perfect even without adjusting the headlight. Noone was getting blinded by these lights.

I mention this only because I really wasn't trying to get a whole thing started about whether or not to use HIDs, but believe me, if my car didn't have a projector housing I wouldn't do it. Yup, it would look ghetto to me.

As for my choice to use 8000K, pretty subjective here. I like it though.

Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong about projector housings being standard equipment on W211s. I posted specifically in this group, so there wouldn't be this kind of miscommunication.
...if you had, then you would know that projectors for halogens aren't projectors for HIDs.

Quite simply, the bulb design requires a different projector design.

The article also describes why "cutoff" isn't cutoff....
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM

2003 E500
how about everyone takes a step back, thinks a little, and grows the f**** up

they are lights, plain and simple, whether or not they are made for our housings is irrelevant really, seeing as aftermarket is just that, aftermarket.

the kit apparently works perfectly according to 240, regardless of your "words of wisdom" about how they aren't suitable.

he chose 8k, big whoop, im sure you buy pants or shirts in colors i wouldn't wear, who am i to say you're a unfashionable?

come on now, he was simply trying to share his experience....
Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by machman8
how about everyone takes a step back, thinks a little, and grows the f**** up

they are lights, plain and simple, whether or not they are made for our housings is irrelevant really, seeing as aftermarket is just that, aftermarket.

the kit apparently works perfectly according to 240, regardless of your "words of wisdom" about how they aren't suitable.

he chose 8k, big whoop, im sure you buy pants or shirts in colors i wouldn't wear, who am i to say you're a unfashionable?

come on now, he was simply trying to share his experience....
And you have your "words of wisdom" too. Like all the rest of us.

btw, welcome to MBWorld (I see you have only 5 posts) Any pics of your car posted yet?

Cheers.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM

2003 E500
I actually don't have any pics as of yet but will post some soon, on a buisness trip at the moment, but you can imagine, 03 black/black e500, nothing too special
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 AM

E320
Welcome to the prestigious w211 subforum of mbw.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I agree with CEB's link. HID retrofit always looks weird, you can recognize such cars easily, very bright, without any reasonable direction light, blinding everybody. However such retrofit brings a good feel of having real HID and saving a lot of money to an owner . I think it is good feel, so why bother?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think if it is done correctly, regarding both alignment and temp (4300K is OEM), the HIDs shouldn't bother anyone.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right....

Originally Posted by gaazmon
I think if it is done correctly, regarding both alignment and temp (4300K is OEM), the HIDs shouldn't bother anyone.
if done correctly meaning that HID housings are used.

It is physically impossible to put HID bulbs into non-HID housings (projector or not) and have them work correctly....
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CEB
if done correctly meaning that HID housings are used.

It is physically impossible to put HID bulbs into non-HID housings (projector or not) and have them work correctly....
That's interesting because my Porsche was optioned at the time (it's a 993) either with halogens or what they called Litronics (HIDs) I was going to buy the OEM Porsche Litronic kit for $3000. But as it turns out, the housing is identical to the non-HID car. All you really get are the ballasts and lamps and wiring. Both have the same projector lamps. I installed a high quality HID aftermarket system and cutoff is perfect. The high beams are the existing halogen bulbs. Granted, it's older technology of that time.

However, on my E63 with active HIDs I notice that there is a mask that moves to give me either high beam or low beam. The lamp stays the same (it's one lamp) and it's the housing unit itself that projects the light properly (with load or when turning, etc..)
Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youe E uses bi-xenons.....

Originally Posted by 220S
That's interesting because my Porsche was optioned at the time (it's a 993) either with halogens or what they called Litronics (HIDs) I was going to buy the OEM Porsche Litronic kit for $3000. But as it turns out, the housing is identical to the non-HID car. All you really get are the ballasts and lamps and wiring. Both have the same projector lamps. I installed a high quality HID aftermarket system and cutoff is perfect. The high beams are the existing halogen bulbs. Granted, it's older technology of that time.

However, on my E63 with active HIDs I notice that there is a mask that moves to give me either high beam or low beam. The lamp stays the same (it's one lamp) and it's the housing unit itself that projects the light properly (with load or when turning, etc..)
...which means that the bulb and housing is optimized to be the high beam. The unit uses a shutter to decrease the light output to the low beam output.

As far as Litronics is concerned, the kit included a new headlight (housing) as described in this Porsche bulletin:

http://www.bga.com/~rentner/Porsche/...ronic11-02.pdf

Here is a picture from Pelican parts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-98)%2C%20Each

Let me reiterate - it is impossible to put HID bulbs in non-HID housings and expect them to work properly....
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Putting an HID bulb in a halogen projector will still give you a hot spot in the center.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CEB
...which means that the bulb and housing is optimized to be the high beam. The unit uses a shutter to decrease the light output to the low beam output.
That was my point.

Originally Posted by CEB
. As far as Litronics is concerned, the kit included a new headlight (housing) as described in this Porsche bulletin:

http://www.bga.com/~rentner/Porsche/...ronic11-02.pdf

Here is a picture from Pelican parts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-98)%2C%20Each

Let me reiterate - it is impossible to put HID bulbs in non-HID housings and expect them to work properly....
Thanks, although that's not the correct bulletin for my car. That's a 996 part number for the egg yolk lamps. My car is a 993. If you want to use Pelican, then look here for the correct parts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

The diagram shows the same headlamp assembly. Anyway, my mechanic (factory trained tech, etc, blah, blah) claims the housing is the same. But I rarely drive the car at night anyway, so it's kinda moot for me.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

The truth of the matter is....

Originally Posted by 220S
That was my point.

Thanks, although that's not the correct bulletin for my car. That's a 996 part number for the egg yolk lamps. My car is a 993. If you want to use Pelican, then look here for the correct parts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

The diagram shows the same headlamp assembly. Anyway, my mechanic (factory trained tech, etc, blah, blah) claims the housing is the same. But I rarely drive the car at night anyway, so it's kinda moot for me.
...that your mechanic is wrong. The correct housings are different....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HIDExtra - H7 8000K - perfect HID upgrade - no cutting/modifying - my experience