E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Couple questions of E BlueTec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009 | 07:55 PM

Couple questions of E BlueTec

What's the deal with the BlueTec E-Class that the car doesn't sell any better and dealers "can't get rid of 'em"? I've always thought the D Benz was a highly desirable commodity. What's changed?

Also, as I'm seriously considering picking one up, what special precautions might I need take for wintering a BlueTec E here in central Indiana (i.e. in winter--block heater, etc?)
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by a.brewer
What's the deal with the BlueTec E-Class that the car doesn't sell any better and dealers "can't get rid of 'em"? I've always thought the D Benz was a highly desirable commodity. What's changed?

Also, as I'm seriously considering picking one up, what special precautions might I need take for wintering a BlueTec E here in central Indiana (i.e. in winter--block heater, etc?)
I have not seen any for sale in my part of the world; Mid-Atlantic. I don't drive mine around on the snow, primarily because I don't have snow tires and also because I drive my suv during winter.
Old 07-20-2009 | 10:07 PM

Thanks, Baron

You have the KD Box, do you not?

Still happy with it?
Old 07-21-2009 | 12:52 AM

06 w211 cdi, 05 slk350, R1200GS
I don't know about the late model Bluetec but, . . .I have an 06 inline CDI that I'm entirely satisfied with. Under reasonable conditions I can get 41mpg on the intestate at a constant 70mph. City driving averages around 33mpg. It also has torque out the a _ _ should you need to demonstrate it to some "enquiring person" at a stop light.
From what I understand the later V-6 isn't quite as fuel efficient nor does it have quite the torque output. The new model also requires a fill-up with urea of some sort to remain compliant with Kalifornia (& a couple other state) emmissions standards. Sorry, . . . .but I'm not that "green!"
Old 07-21-2009 | 11:03 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 GL320 CDI
More things to think about...

first as far as torque and power output, the v6 has around 400 ft/lbs, the inline has about 360. The v6 is down slightly on mpg, but has more power. NO E class currently available stateside uses urea.

They don't sell well, IMHO, because people are afraid of change. they are scared to get a diesel. However, if you check the prices of used diesels, they exceed the price of the gas counterpart considerably. The new diesels arent' marketed very well either. People buy Mercedes for many reasons, one of them is status. Not many people properly informed about diesel will buy the bottom labeled car and pay the same price. E320 vs. E350. Marketing should have simply called it EBluetec and left the numeric designation off.

Both the I6 and V6 diesels are great engines. They both have the strong points. I can get into more details if you like.

Bryan
Old 07-21-2009 | 11:28 AM

Thanks guys

Keep 'em comin'

Will there be any issues with the cold? In particular, parking outside in the wintertime?
Old 07-21-2009 | 01:05 PM

None that I have noted.

Now and again, it gets quite cold in Virginia I never had an issue. The glow plug only comes on for less than a second and the time is dependent on the temperature. One thing I noticed on the V6 diesel, is the engine warms up rather quickly for a diesel. I believe this is because the turbo is placed in the middle of the V rather than bolted on the side. My Jetta TDI takes a lot longer to warm up. I don't even believe they offer a block heater, there just aren't reported issues of cold start trouble. But then again I don't have trouble with the Jetta either, although there is noticeable smoke on start up with the VW, but never on the E320 or GL320.

Right now, the E320 as far as a luxury, efficient vehicle goes, is the best thing going. No currently available hybrid in that class even compares. Resale value is exceptional. Take a look in kbb and compare the price for a 3 year old diesel to a 3 year old gasser with comparable equipment. The used diesel is about the same price as the E500. You will less trouble selling a diesel with 100k miles than a gasser anyday.

Bryan
Old 07-21-2009 | 02:49 PM

09 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by bobsquad7
I don't know about the late model Bluetec but, . . .I have an 06 inline CDI that I'm entirely satisfied with. Under reasonable conditions I can get 41mpg on the intestate at a constant 70mph. City driving averages around 33mpg. It also has torque out the a _ _ should you need to demonstrate it to some "enquiring person" at a stop light.
From what I understand the later V-6 isn't quite as fuel efficient nor does it have quite the torque output. The new model also requires a fill-up with urea of some sort to remain compliant with Kalifornia (& a couple other state) emmissions standards. Sorry, . . . .but I'm not that "green!"
wrong
all Bluetec E class's do not use urea thats including the 09 models.
Old 07-21-2009 | 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by a.brewer
Thanks, Baron

You have the KD Box, do you not?

Still happy with it?
Absolutely. Would not leave home without it.
I may consider a 2012 Bluetec (2nd generation W212) and still keep this one.

Last edited by pinebaron; 07-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 | 01:12 AM

Another question, this one about the tax credit: does the BlueTec E320 get the credit? Anyone know how much it is at the current time? Have a link to an official source to verify?

TIA
Old 07-22-2009 | 01:54 AM

09 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Absolutely. Would not leave home without it.
I may consider a 2012 Bluetec (2nd generation W212) and still keep this one.
hopefully by then someone will develop a tuner for urea injection cars
Old 07-22-2009 | 06:24 AM

No urea, no 50 state compliance, no tax credit.

Without urea injection the current e320 is not 50 state emmision compliant therefore you won't get the credit. You will get a credit on the 09 GL320, 09 Ml320, and possibly the R320 if it has urea injection. I know both the 09 GL and ML have the urea injection. The current E320 09 and below do not meet 50 state compliance.

FYI, average around town and some highway I get about 23 with the GL and about 28 purely highway driving. The E320 nets about 32 mixed around town and highway and about 37+ purely highway.

Bryan
Old 07-22-2009 | 09:42 AM

Thanks Baron11...very helpful info

Thanks Baron11...very helpful info
Old 07-27-2009 | 09:16 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Wrong!

The current BluTecs absolutely do use and require urea. That's the only way the EPA would let MB sell them hear. The early BluTecs did not require urea. If you run your urea tank empty on a new new MB diesel it will eventually not start...thanks to the EPA. The VW TDI does not use it because VW was able to get by w/o it due to the small size of their engine. They have said that if they had a larger engine, they would probably also need urea injection to control NOx. BMW also uses urea injection. The E320 I6 has 369 lb.-ft of torque. the BlueTec V6 puts out 400 lb.-ft. HP difference is negligible.

I think what scared people about diesels was the obscenely high price it hit last summer even vs. gas.

There is also the smoothness issue and some additional noise. Diesel engine is also usually more expensive and diesel fuel is somewhat less available. Women probably worry about lining up behind a line of tractor-trailers to refuel.

I have an E320 CDI and like it a lot, but it is nowhere near as refined as our 1992 LS400 with 100,000 miles. Gets 2X the city mileage, though and 50% highway.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by Baron11
first as far as torque and power output, the v6 has around 400 ft/lbs, the inline has about 360. The v6 is down slightly on mpg, but has more power. NO E class currently available stateside uses urea.

They don't sell well, IMHO, because people are afraid of change. they are scared to get a diesel. However, if you check the prices of used diesels, they exceed the price of the gas counterpart considerably. The new diesels arent' marketed very well either. People buy Mercedes for many reasons, one of them is status. Not many people properly informed about diesel will buy the bottom labeled car and pay the same price. E320 vs. E350. Marketing should have simply called it EBluetec and left the numeric designation off.

Both the I6 and V6 diesels are great engines. They both have the strong points. I can get into more details if you like.

Bryan
Old 07-27-2009 | 09:26 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Wow!

Your 2006 E320 CDI mileage numbers are astonishing. I have one (20,000 miles) and the best I get at 70 mph is 34.5 mpg and in town (suburban traffic) I get 24-27 mpg. The latter is on the optimistic self-resetting average mpg readout...reality is slightly worse.

How do you manage those numbers that are far above EPA and CR figures?

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by bobsquad7
Old 07-27-2009 | 10:47 PM

06 w211 cdi, 05 slk350, R1200GS
Most of my trips are on interstate's and 5 to 600 miles or more with just me in the car.
Also, I'm in the lower midwest where a lot of my travels are on flat & level roads.
I've found that with my wife along & (full trunk), my mileage on similiar 5 or 600 mile trips, goes to 36 or 37 mpg. I also "attempt" to not accelerate like a jack rabbit & coast to a stop etc,...