E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need to one up somebody

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gets me from point A-B
Need your help

Sup guys, i need your help. Long story short, i have a cousin that i hate, who just recently bought an 01 w210 E430 and he thinks hes the ish now. Used to drive a Camry, now a Benz...acts like he doesn't know me anymore . So i decided that enough is enough, time to one up him. Well, I'm torn between either a 2005 w211 E500 or a 2008 c-class. Both of them have problems, though. The E500 is an old design, which is soon to be replaced, but as i observed at my cousin, an E-class is still the ish, even if its 10 years old...that stupid *****. Anyways, the new C-class is beautiful, a real neck breaker, but the only thing from keeping me buying one is its "image". I always see the c-class associated with the phrases "poor man's Mercedes," "entry level, comparable to an accord". That's not what i want to hear. So at this point i don't know what to do, give me your suggestions guys!!

Sorry for the realllyyy long post, but im really pissed right now

Appreciate the help!!!

Last edited by benzlvr2500; 07-25-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:28 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
E500 is a better car............the 204 C Class has poor build quality and crappy body gaps.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
I think you have the worst reason to be getting into a Mercedes anyways, but personally, I'd go with the E500. You'd have the newer E-Class while he'd have the previous gen E-Class.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:05 AM

gets me from point A-B
sorry for giving the impression that its "just to one up him" ive had a couple benz's in the family before, but due to the current financial situation, had to let em go. so none of you guys favor style over function?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Short answer: E500

One caveat though...If your family has had financial issues, DO NOT even consider getting an 05 with out an extended warranty. Also, I have to agree with Quadbenz...wrong reason to buy a car.

Let your cousin be a *****...buy a car that you want because it makes you happy. Life is to short...
Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Here is a great way to "one up him" .. be the first one to GROW THE F*#K UP.

This whole damn country is in the state that it is in from everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses .. except what they don't know is that the Joneses are BROKE.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
I agree. Buy what you really like (or need). At the end of the day it is you who will be making the car payments.

Anyways, if you must: Couldn't you get an in-warranty facelift W211 E350 CPO for same money as a new W204?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
The car doesn't matter. It's the size of the rims.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM

2007 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred
The car doesn't matter. It's the size of the rims.
+1
Old 07-25-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Vik888

This whole damn country is in the state that it is in from everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses .. except what they don't know is that the Joneses are BROKE.

I agree... this is the best advice in this thread so far IMO.

However, if you REALLY MUST get a MB, you should really look for what you can AFFORD! If that's a CPO'ed C-Class, then that's what you should get. If that's a CPO'ed E-Class, then that's what you should get. Don't get a car you can't afford, and drive your family into bankruptcy (that's the STUPIDEST idea IMO).

If you're bent on buying CPO/USED, remember that in general, MB's made 2007+ are going to be significantly more reliable and have less quality issues and problems in the long-run than MB made before then. Check Craigslist.org, AutoTrader.com, PennysaverUSA.com (and the mailer), your local newspaper classifieds, and other online/offline sources and you can find some GREAT deals on CPO/USED Mercedes-Benz vehicles (that's how I sold my 2 cars recently). The market is FLOODED with luxury cars that people can't afford to keep anymore, and some are very desperate to get rid of them!

Also remember that certain 2009 models (such as the 2009 E-Class) are being offered for FANTASTIC prices now (until they all are sold) ... prices that won't repeat itself for at least another few decades (until the U.S. goes into another financial crisis as big as this one, AND hits the bottom, AND MB is discontinuing a model at the exact same time, AND has way too much overstock on their hands and needs to get rid of it ASAP, AND the new generation cars are already on the lot and being sold)! So if you find the right dealer desperate enough to get rid of overstocked 2009 E350's, and you are able to afford a new car, then you could get a great NEW car for a GREAT price (E350 + P1 + 321 AMG Sport Package can be had for less than $42K now... less than $5,000 more than a CPO'ed 2007 E350 I looked at a couple months ago). The 2009 E-Classes are much improved over the pre-2009 ones... at least in the COMMAND system, the free 321 AMG Sport Package, and the PRICE (right now)!!!

Happy hunting!

Last edited by chokaay; 07-25-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

Excellent statement. Borrowing too much, paying cash for nothing.

To the OP, if you are in a financial bind adhere to the statement above. Get the car you want later when you have the means.

If you do have the means now, get what car YOU want and forget about your cousin. The C Class is a fine car, the E500 is fine also, nothing wrong with either.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:23 PM

gets me from point A-B
Yea. main reason why i switched to lexus was that M-B was too unreliable. And now i miss benz. Lexus/jap cars in general just dont have that "feel" that german sedans do. My IS just feels kinda soul less if you know what I mean...i do have to say, you guys are way more mature than the guys on the w204 forum...they're making me feel like a piece of $h!t
Old 07-25-2009, 05:37 PM

gets me from point A-B
Originally Posted by chokaay
I agree... this is the best advice in this thread so far IMO.

However, if you REALLY MUST get a MB, you should really look for what you can AFFORD! If that's a CPO'ed C-Class, then that's what you should get. If that's a CPO'ed E-Class, then that's what you should get. Don't get a car you can't afford, and drive your family into bankruptcy (that's the STUPIDEST idea IMO).

If you're bent on buying CPO/USED, remember that in general, MB's made 2007+ are going to be significantly more reliable and have less quality issues and problems in the long-run than MB made before then. Check Craigslist.org, AutoTrader.com, PennysaverUSA.com (and the mailer), your local newspaper classifieds, and other online/offline sources and you can find some GREAT deals on CPO/USED Mercedes-Benz vehicles (that's how I sold my 2 cars recently). The market is FLOODED with luxury cars that people can't afford to keep anymore, and some are very desperate to get rid of them!

Also remember that certain 2009 models (such as the 2009 E-Class) are being offered for FANTASTIC prices now (until they all are sold) ... prices that won't repeat itself for at least another few decades (until the U.S. goes into another financial crisis as big as this one, AND hits the bottom, AND MB is discontinuing a model at the exact same time, AND has way too much overstock on their hands and needs to get rid of it ASAP, AND the new generation cars are already on the lot and being sold)! So if you find the right dealer desperate enough to get rid of overstocked 2009 E350's, and you are able to afford a new car, then you could get a great NEW car for a GREAT price (E350 + P1 + 321 AMG Sport Package can be had for less than $42K now... less than $5,000 more than a CPO'ed 2007 E350 I looked at a couple months ago). The 2009 E-Classes are much improved over the pre-2009 ones... at least in the COMMAND system, the free 321 AMG Sport Package, and the PRICE (right now)!!!

Happy hunting!
42k??? you're kidding me right? that's how much a fully loaded C350 costs...i might check those out
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 PM

E350
Originally Posted by benzlvr2500
Yea. main reason why i switched to lexus was that M-B was too unreliable. And now i miss benz. Lexus/jap cars in general just dont have that "feel" that german sedans do. My IS just feels kinda soul less if you know what I mean...i do have to say, you guys are way more mature than the guys on the w204 forum...they're making me feel like a piece of $h!t

I agree with the difference between Japanese cars (ie: Lexus) and German cars (ie: MB). I felt the same way as you too (not to say that Japanese cars are BAD or anything... they're just not the same as German cars). Therefore, I chose to invest in something that I LIKE driving (and drive often) instead of saving a couple grand and investing in something that I DISLIKE driving (but still have to drive often). Yes, MB *MAY* be more expensive to maintain/repair over it's lifetime than a comparable Lexus, but to me it's worth it. YOU should decide what is worth it to YOU (and what YOU can afford)!

But honestly speaking, the concept behind this thread is quite childish IMO. One thing I've learned in life, is that there will ALWAYS be people "more fortunate" than you (at least financially), and there will ALWAYS be people "less fortunate" than you. So what if your cousin has a better car than you? Who cares?!? There are LOTS of people (both on and off MBWorld) that has better cars than HIM! So don't even feel bad about this!

As for your cousin treating you like dirt, I say "what comes around, goes around". Personally, I *try* to give everyone a fair chance. If they treat me with respect and dignity, I do the same. If they are pompous a-holes (and there seems to be quite a few of them in SoCal), then I give them the exact same treatment as they give me. (Of course there will be exceptions from time to time... especially if your boss is an a-hole, but you want to keep your job... but in general this has worked out for me.) Just don't talk to your cousin or ignore him if you don't want to... your time is too precious to waste on people like him (until he comes to his senses).

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM

E350
42k??? you're kidding me right? that's how much a fully loaded C350 costs...i might check those out

Nope, not even joking. Got my E350 + P1 + Pano + Parktronic + 321 AMG Sport Package for $46,600 2 months ago... you can get it for a few thousand less now (if there are any available still). If you get it without Pano and Parktronic, you can even probably do $40K now (since the majority of the E350's left only have P1 and 321 Sport Package, so the dealers are more willing to sell these at a bigger loss just to get rid of them).

Sell your current vehicle privately to maximize your profit (trading-in vehicles to dealerships are NOT worth it for the price... unless you have an old "clunker" that isn't worth $3,500-$4,500 and qualifies for the "Cash For Clunkers" legislation that just started a few days ago... then go do that!).

Also, don't forget that according to the "American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009", on any NEW vehicle purchase, your tax is able to be deducted from your 2010 taxes (maximum $49,500 from your vehicle... but since 2009 E350's all now sell below that price, you get 100% of your tax deducted).

And right now MB has a low 1.9% APR going on when you finance your vehicle for up to 36 months (used to be 66 months, but now 66 months is at 2.9%... which is still pretty low).

Just some incentives to get people to buy a NEW car/Mercedes!

Last edited by chokaay; 07-25-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:02 PM

gets me from point A-B
I agree with the difference between Japanese cars (ie: Lexus) and German cars (ie: MB). I felt the same way as you too (not to say that Japanese cars are BAD or anything... they're just not the same as German cars). Therefore, I chose to invest in something that I LIKE driving (and drive often) instead of saving a couple grand and investing in something that I DISLIKE driving (but still have to drive often). Yes, MB *MAY* be more expensive to maintain/repair over it's lifetime than a comparable Lexus, but to me it's worth it. YOU should decide what is worth it to YOU (and what YOU can afford)!

But honestly speaking, the concept behind this thread is quite childish IMO. One thing I've learned in life, is that there will ALWAYS be people "more fortunate" than you (at least financially), and there will ALWAYS be people "less fortunate" than you. So what if your cousin has a better car than you? Who cares?!? There are LOTS of people (both on and off MBWorld) that has better cars than HIM! So don't even feel bad about this!

As for your cousin treating you like dirt, I say "what comes around, goes around". Personally, I *try* to give everyone a fair chance. If they treat me with respect and dignity, I do the same. If they are pompous a-holes (and there seems to be quite a few of them in SoCal), then I give them the exact same treatment as they give me. (Of course there will be exceptions from time to time... especially if your boss is an a-hole, but you want to keep your job... but in general this has worked out for me.) Just don't talk to your cousin or ignore him if you don't want to... your time is too precious to waste on people like him (until he comes to his senses).

Just my 2 cents...

Valid points you made, bro. I would have to say w211 forum is more mature and nice. I'm seeing a lot of A-holes on the w204 forum, where i posted this same thread...i really appreciate all your guys's help
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM

gets me from point A-B
Nope, not even joking. Got my E350 + P1 + Pano + Parktronic + 321 AMG Sport Package for $46,600 2 months ago... you can get it for a few thousand less now (if there are any available still). If you get it without Pano and Parktronic, you can even probably do $40K now (since the majority of the E350's left only have P1 and 321 Sport Package, so the dealers are more willing to sell these at a bigger loss just to get rid of them).

Sell your current vehicle privately to maximize your profit (trading-in vehicles to dealerships are NOT worth it for the price... unless you have an old "clunker" that isn't worth $3,500-$4,500 and qualifies for the "Cash For Clunkers" legislation that just started a few days ago... then go do that!).

Also, don't forget that according to the "American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009", on any NEW vehicle purchase, your tax is able to be deducted from your 2010 taxes (maximum $49,500 from your vehicle... but since 2009 E350's all now sell below that price, you get 100% of your tax deducted).

And right now MB has a low 1.9% APR going on when you finance your vehicle for up to 36 months (used to be 66 months, but now 66 months is at 2.9%... which is still pretty low).

Just some incentives to get people to buy a NEW car/Mercedes!
yea i heard about that tax rebate thing, all i got to do now is convince my dad to go to the dealership with me
Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM

C204
i do have to say, you guys are way more mature than the guys on the w204 forum...they're making me feel like a piece of $h!t
priceless.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by alexlev
priceless.
Listen to your friends.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
[quote=benzlvr2500;3638254]. The E500 is an old design, which is soon to be replaced,

quote]

Just wanted to add that, while the W211 may have been designed a few years ago, the styling is still very much current and valid.

Get what works best for you. But, if I was in your situation and faced with those that particular choice of cars, I would go for the E500.

Lastly, life is much more pleasant and rewarding when you are living for YOU and not for other people and ways to impress them. Do what is best for yourself (within reason of course) and what makes you happy.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM

gets me from point A-B
[QUOTE=fortlaudsummer;3639186]
. The E500 is an old design, which is soon to be replaced,

quote]

Just wanted to add that, while the W211 may have been designed a few years ago, the styling is still very much current and valid.

Get what works best for you. But, if I was in your situation and faced with those that particular choice of cars, I would go for the E500.

Lastly, life is much more pleasant and rewarding when you are living for YOU and not for other people and ways to impress them. Do what is best for yourself (within reason of course) and what makes you happy.

Finally someone with good advice
Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Used to drive a Camry, now a Benz...acts like he doesn't know me anymore .
Just curious, if you have a "better car", is he going to acts like he knows you?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
If yours is smaller than his, perhaps you can see who has the bigger Beacon score. Or get a GF with bigger implants. Etc. However, Vik888 had good advice for you.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM

gets me from point A-B
Originally Posted by no_clue
Just curious, if you have a "better car", is he going to acts like he knows you?
god honest truth is, yea...i hate being indian
Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Take my advice: go out and buy the best car you can find. People will think you are way cool. I had an E350 but couldn't get any respect. So I sold it to a dumbass relative of mine and got me an E63. It cost me a lot and I can't make my house payments anymore. That's okay 'cause I moved in with my Mom and she has a nice basement. And I don't care if the bank took the house, 'cause no way are they gonna take my car!

I noticed people on the road think I'm pretty cool. It's such a great feeling. The other day a guy in an awesome Maserati drove past me and smiled at me. I knew he respected me. That moment was so worth it all.

You only live once, so go for it. That way nobody can ever dis you. No way, dude. Don't let it happen. Nobody can see you with your pants down except your girlfriend and she's already bored seeing it. So a cool car is the only way. Go for it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to one up somebody