E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AutoWeek "Autofile" E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Mercedes E320
Thumbs up AutoWeek "Autofile" E500

AutoWeek's current issue (Feb 17) has the Autofile report on the E500. They have been requesting subscriber comments on the E Class for about 2 months, and this article reports on owners' comments as well as the results of their testing. This is probably one of the most complimentary reviews I have seen them publish.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 PM
BEC

E-500
Jim, thanks for the heads up.

I just read this on the net and it is indeed favorable. Here is the link:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=00575551
Old 02-19-2003, 05:48 PM

I submitted my review via email, and am disappointed to see what they published - seems they only selected the 'dumbed-down' reviews...not that I'm bitter, I just think the content of most of those chosen was pretty airy.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:54 PM
CRB

I was going through a stack of old magazines recently and found the Autoweek issue that had the Autofile for the W203 C-class. Very much like this E-class offering it was a complete fluff piece. The owners comments were both "airy" and gushing.

The stuff really hits the fan when they pick the car apart in a long-term test. Autoweek is presently editorially dismembering a C320 wagon and have been pretty brutal thus far.

Thanks for the link.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM

03 E500
Here's the other view. I'm the guy who was quoted in the first reply - N. Barrington, IL. I sent that e-mail to AW when I had 1200 miles on the clock, and the comments were sincere. Now, 4 months later with 5,000 miles on the clock I've experienced almost all the problems you guy's have read about since then; motor mounts, SRS, radio, mystery brake system noises, front suspension shakes/rattles, and countless other curiosities that were either poorly articulated in the manual, or simply not mentioned.

With that said, I accept the fact that early build models will produce dissapointments, however most have been fixed to my satisfaction. I'm hoping the rest will also be resolved. So, do I regret my earlier public comments? No. This is a great automobile that I would buy again tomorrow if my current one was gone from O'Hare's garage when I return on Friday. The only difference would be that I'd pay less than sticker.

I stand by my ealier "airy" opinion.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
They also failed to mention that it is the only car in its' class that cannot be purchased with a Navigation system.
Rich

'01 E55 AMG
'99 ML 430
'96 911 C4 cab
Old 02-21-2003, 05:46 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Originally posted by Rich
They also failed to mention that it is the only car in its' class that cannot be purchased with a Navigation system.
Rich

'01 E55 AMG
'99 ML 430
'96 911 C4 cab
nice one!
Old 02-21-2003, 09:20 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Actually, NAV is listed as an option in the "Other major options" text on page 69 of the magazine version. $2125

It's a shame someone who is waiting for NAV on a pre-wired model does not personally know a MB dealership general manager well enough to have him call the zone office and get an "official" response. The whole idea that something can't be retrofitted when the MB has a CAN based control network and a standard GPS locator, makes no logical sense.

Talking with salesmen or calling the 800 number with this type of inquiry just does not get good answers in my experience.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I think that I will email MBUSA today and express my "concern" at the lack of information and the rumors.

I will quote the MBUSA rep that jhb reported.

I will ask for an official response as to status of availability..

Is there actually a question if MB will be able to deliver Nav?

I will explain that the navigaion is very important and was the availability was the critical decision in buying the 211 and that without it...I do not want the car.

Probably won't do any good and I will probably get a "let you know later" response, but maybe if they got a LOT of similiar emails they would get something official out sooner rather than later.

Ed
Old 02-21-2003, 11:52 AM

LEXUS
I have emailed my concerns about the Eclass to MBUSA 3 times in the last month. There has been no response.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
I emailed MBUSA about COMAND and got a timely reply.
Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

While we are planning to release the Command option for the E-Class in the
Spring of 2003, we do not currently have a definitive date as to when this
option will be available.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again or
call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Kathleen O'Keefe
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC

I'm sure that MB will come through with COMAND for those who have already paid for it. I think the key issue for MB is the cost of installing it at the dealership vs the factory. As far as prewiring, all of the audio input and output wiring is there anyway. The only additional wiring needed is input from the GPS antenna and/or GPS receiver and a vehicle speed input from the car's "brain". The cars all have GPS antennas and receivers for the SOS system. In the 210's, all of the wiring for COMAND was there in non COMAND cars, although I could never get any assistance from MB on how to do it. I saw it done in the E55 forum a while back
Old 02-22-2003, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich
I emailed MBUSA about COMAND and got a timely reply.
Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

While we are planning to release the Command option for the E-Class in the
Spring of 2003, we do not currently have a definitive date as to when this
option will be available.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again or
call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Kathleen O'Keefe
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
[/QUOTE

When did you get this reply. Hopefully it was within the last week or so. If so it would be very positive. If longer it would just fit in with the older information that was put out earlier.

Ed