E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC pump warrantee runs out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 sedan
SBC pump warrantee runs out

Hi, perhaps a newbie question but... I love my 2005 E 320 and want to keep it forever but am concerned about the replacement cost of the SBC pump after the 10 year warrantee runs out. (cost is $5-6000) Is there a way around this (ie: rebuilds/aftermarket) or should I sell the car (sniff) in a few years?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I don't have a good answer for you. I have seen them on e- bay several times (new) for $1800 Aftermarket products are driven by demand versus return on investment. I doubt that a manufacturer would invest in a reproduction part for such a limited market. It is not like a Taiwan sheet metal press making fenders for Ford Rangers. I suspect that rebuilt units will become available for a five to ten year window as soon as 2013. At present there is no incentive to service a market that is already covered by the manufacturer. I believe the failure rate on these pumps has be pretty well established. The Eurpoean W211 in cab service highlighted the problem. Problems will be driven more by mileage rather than time, IMHOP.
You are right to be vigilant. Once these cars exceed the warranty period, pump failure will probably equal the same level of push back as transmission failure IE fix it or sell the vehicle as junk.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I don't have a good answer for you. I have seen them on e- bay several times (new) for $1800 Aftermarket products are driven by demand versus return on investment. I doubt that a manufacturer would invest in a reproduction part for such a limited market. It is not like a Taiwan sheet metal press making fenders for Ford Rangers. I suspect that rebuilt units will become available for a five to ten year window as soon as 2013. At present there is no incentive to service a market that is already covered by the manufacturer. I believe the failure rate on these pumps has be pretty well established. The Eurpoean W211 in cab service highlighted the problem. Problems will be driven more by mileage rather than time, IMHOP.
You are right to be vigilant. Once these cars exceed the warranty period, pump failure will probably equal the same level of push back as transmission failure IE fix it or sell the vehicle as junk.
?? Perhaps my SBC failure was different but mine didn't fail as a result of time it failed at approx. 70000 miles on the car. This was total SBC failure which required tow in and full replacement.

I planned to keep the car 200000 miles and bought it on the MB reputation for reliability. Now I plan to get rid of it before the 2013 time period.

So many failures so little miles.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 sedan
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone had an answer other than the above.....