motor mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 06:13 PM
mco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML430, E500
motor mounts

After having no problems with my E500 for the first 3 weeks, while driving today the engine area had a horrible sound- like a machine gun for about 15 seconds and then it completely went away and did not return. Is this the "motor mount" problem??

Also radio went completely off for the first time and then came back on and no problems.

Hopefully will not recur, but I have my doubts.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC
Re: motor mounts

Originally posted by mco
After having no problems with my E500 for the first 3 weeks, while driving today the engine area had a horrible sound- like a machine gun for about 15 seconds and then it completely went away and did not return. Is this the "motor mount" problem??

Also radio went completely off for the first time and then came back on and no problems.

We had the same problem with our radio. Took 2 dealer trips to fix the thing. You should get it checked out, they will fix it for free. Sounds like the radio thing is common.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Motor mount problems are usualy constant and unwavering- this one sounds a little different. Every had the prblem again?

Have your E taken in for whats called a "short test" (an MBZ DAS test of all the systems) many have reported central gateway problems that manifest themsleves in odd, non-linear ways.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: motor mounts

Originally posted by mco

That doesn't sound like the motor mount problem. Yours almost sounds like a lifter collapsed, although I'd have to hear it to be able to say for sure. The motor mount problem happens under light acceleration and sounds like piston slap. Plus, it doesn't go away after 15 seconds. There's a bulletin out for intermittent switching off of the radio, but I can't remember what exactly it entails. I'll have to find it again at work.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I checked up on the radio bulletin. It says the audio gateway located in the trunk has a tendency to overheat and switch off until it cools down. The solution for this is a small cooling fan that is installed to keep the gateway module cooler.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:05 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Dave: Thanks very much for taking the time to look that up.