E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
Check Engine Light

My new E320 is just four days old. This morning, I connected my cell phone charger to the cigarette lighter and put my EZPass transponder in the console. When I started the car, the Check Engine light came on. I shut the car off and restarted a couple of times, but the light stayed on.

I drove the car to work with the light on and the car performed perfectly. I am going to call the dealer this morning, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what caused the light to come on.

I have seen some mention to the gas cap or the type of gasoline, but I have not added fuel or touched the gas cap since I picked the car up.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:50 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Check at least that the cap is tight--I believe that's what it monitors regarding the filler cap, among many other things. The manual will give you a full list.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:49 PM

2013 E350
Question Check Engine Light

I spoke with a service technician. He was very helpful and spent a good amount of time with me, asking questions and offered to have me bring the car in on Thursday (I need a loaner).

Since the performance and gas mileage (27mpg highway) was not affected and I need gas anyway, I decided to fill the tank and see if the light comes back on. He said to call him tomorrow and let him know if that fixed the problem. If not, he wants me to bring the car in on Thursday.

Let you know that happens.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:29 PM

2013 E350
The gas cap was not the problem. My car is at the dealer. The initial diagnosis is to replace the charcoal canister. They have to order the part so they will keep my car overnight.