E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-12-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

No power to trunk, 3rd brake light, or license plate lamps

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 430 2003, E350 4Matic 2006
[E350 4Matic 2006] Yesterday, a msg came on stating that trunk lid third brake light was off. Then found that not only the trunk was locked,and once opened mechanically with the key, found the interior lights were off and also the license plate bulbs were black and needed to be replaced. Was not happy.

Just found the brilliant solution from habamark and am really grateful. Turns out that the "brown" wire was severed. So that should be an easy fix!
The following users liked this post:
Clarke Taylor (08-13-2016)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM

w211 e320
Smile e320 trunk not opening thankyou for your help worked a treat

thankyou for your help worked a treat great job
Originally Posted by hbamark
Hi All,

If your vehicle has lost power to the trunk unit, and lights, there is a very simple fix. This is fairly common problem on W211 models. The wires get caught it trunk hardware and get severed. The dealer wanted to charge me $250 for something that took me 20 minutes and less that $10 to complete. Here's what I did.

1. Use the key to manually open the trunk.
2. Remove two plastic pins holding carpet/panel on the driver side of trunk. Pull carpet/panel away carefully.
3. Remove plastic cover on left trunk hinge by unfastening pin at top of cover.
4. Follow the wires until you find where they are severed.
5. Strip wires slightly.
6. Put a piece of shrink tubing over one side of the wires.
7. twist severed wires back together where you stripped and exposed the copper.
8. Solder the wires.
9. Pull the shrink tubing down over the exposed copper.
10. Heat the tubing so that it shrinks around the exposed wire.
11. rewrap wire so that it follows the left hinge in a manner that is will not get cut again. (I wrapped the at risk area in duct tape, not pretty, but it was effective).
12. Reinstall Panels.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but this is a real easy fix. I hope this procedure saves some $$$ for someone.
The following users liked this post:
Clarke Taylor (08-13-2016)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

w211 e320
just fixed problem with trunk not opening thanks to hbamark
Old 08-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
Thank You For Your Post - It Worked Like a Charm

Thanks very much for your post. I had to repair 8 wires and it took me about 45 minutes, in my suit this morning. I have been without trunk power, 3rd brake light & license plate lights for about 2 weeks until today.

To show my appreciation, here are my advanced tactics for finding files online that relate to my rides:

Type the following kinds of stuff into Google:

site:startekinfo.com filetype:pdf
or
inurl:w211 keyword (for example: wiring diagram or manual)
or
site:anydomainnameyouwanttotypeinhere.com (space) filetype:pdf
this will produce all pdf's that are on that particular domain that are of the pdf filetype.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Thank You for this thread!

I do have one question though...How the heck do you get the trim pins out without wrecking them? I'm going to buy several replacement pieces (which I have to replace them now anyway).
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

e280 sport
mercedes e280 sport desiel

hi there,iam new to this forum but i have a problem with my car,its the number plate light,third brake light and the boot electric catch and boot lights,i have read some forums saying it could be a wire that broken or poss a bad earth,has anybody come across this problem and if so is it easy to fix or should i go to a auto electrician and have it plugged in to the computer pls help
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 AM

mercedes E220
Thumbs up BRILLIANT HELP...

THANKS hbamark

you and the others but you in particular helped immensely and saved me a fortune; and hassle if I had been stopped before repairs.

As a result have joined forum; I doubt I know much to help anyone else, but moral support!!!

Safe driving.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM

e280 sport
i would like to thank you guys out there for your advice,after takeing the trunking off and the left hand pannel out of the boot,i saw a cluster of wires under the u bend of the boot hindge and the thick brown wire had completley snaped in two,so i extended the wire and re joined it and it works fine now you have saved me a lot of money thank you garry
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 Black, 2007 GL450 Carneol Red
Originally Posted by cali_motoman
BTW, my fuse box has no reference to which fuse does what..? Is there a legend supposed to be attached somewhere in the box?
In my 2005 E55 at least, there is a small paper chart folded up and stored within the Interior Fuse box (left side of the Dashboard), but that didn't include all vehicle fuses, especially fuse 88 which controlled the Trunk Closer circuit in my car that had been shorted out by a previous technician. So after much learning from the WIS and fixing mine, I wrote a concise fuse and relay chart and started a new thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...les-chart.html.

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I do have one question though...How the heck do you get the trim pins out without wrecking them? I'm going to buy several replacement pieces (which I have to replace them now anyway).
If you are asking about the A 2019900292 Push-Pin Rivets:

I use a small flat screw driver and lift out the smaller headed center pin. (Sometimes I use a small Diagonal Wire Cutting Pliers to leverage out the center pin.) After the center pin is out, the remaining clip lifts out quite easily. With practice, you won't even have to pull the center pin all of the way out before lifting out the larger pin.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by garry794
hi there,iam new to this forum but i have a problem with my car,its the number plate light,third brake light and the boot electric catch and boot lights,i have read some forums saying it could be a wire that broken or poss a bad earth,has anybody come across this problem and if so is it easy to fix or should i go to a auto electrician and have it plugged in to the computer pls help
The bannana fell off the tree----please look at the solution in "hbamark's" post 27, and like others you should be able to locate and fix the wire yourself.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM

w211
Many thanks hbamark, had boot not oppening, third stop and plate lights actuallly on n off working but this morning all dead. Brown whire snapped.
Read ur post, THANK YOU and stopped on petrol station, gents easy fix. Took me 30 min and screwdriver to do, didnt damage anything but brown whire now not wraped, will do it back home but ALL WORKING NOW .
Many thanks again
Safe ride
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM

e320 cdi
Thanks for the info. Exactly the same problem, brown wire was broken fixed.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM

E220
I had similar issues with no remote trunk opening, the 3rd brake light warning and no light inside the trunk. This was on a 2008 w211. Thanks to this post everything is now working as it should saving me £200 (~$300).

As Pekkle reported, my car also had the tubing presumably added to prevent this issue. Initially I couldn't see any break in the wires. However on removing the top of the tubing, I found the break at the very top of the tubing that was previously hidden by tape and tubing. Unfortunately I didn't have a solder iron so instead used a small terminal block bought from Maplins to join the wires. Now everything is working as it should. Thanks again to the original poster and subsequent ones too for saving me $300.

It seems strange that the brown wire is breaking where it is. Perhaps it's being bent one way then the other as the trunk is opened and closed causing a fatigue type break. Whatever, it is poor that Mercedes did not fix this design fault when the w211 facelift model was introduced. They then have the cheek to charge $300 to fix the fault that is of their own making.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55
This would have saved me some money had I tried it first. I installed a new LED and still didnt work, started inspecting the wires per the above and was able to fix it. Now I have an extra LED that I presume still works fine. Got a decent price on Ebay so not so upset, now I have a spare.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 AM

W213 E220 2017
Thank you hbamark

I had the same problem, and it was the brown wire that had snapped.
Soldered a new piece all working now.
Safe driving

Netwalla
Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

2006 E350 4Matic
Guess I know what to do tomorrow morning

Dealer fixed mine 2 years ago, now trunk inop. Lic plate lite working.

Prolly the stupid wire harness... update tomorrow, thanks Guys!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM

E320
What a wonderful Thanksgiving Gift from HBamark

You made me and my wife very happy. I was really worried I might get a fix it ticket that I have no other choice but to bring it to an auto shop. But oh boy, I did it myselt and walla, I found the severed wire, replaced the busted lic. plate light bulb and the rest is history. You saved me at least $300 (?). And I did it in less than 30 minutes. I really appreciate your knowledge and unselfish help. Good luck and more success to you. God bless.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
Hi All,

If your vehicle has lost power to the trunk unit, ...
Sorry for the lack of pictures, but this is a real easy fix. I hope this procedure saves some $$$ for someone.
Thanks for this. Have a 2007 E350 that had this problem. Kind of a basic design flaw that could have been prevented by:

- installing a grommet between the plastic wire sheathing (normally used to help protect the wire, not cut it!) and the wire bundle ... seriously this is kind of "Electronics Assembly 101"

- making the cable just a little longer (say, a few inches) so it doesn't have to flex so much and at such a sharp angle (actually, MBZ often seems to skimp on cable lengths by a few inches, making it difficult to work on a unit while it's "pulled out" but still connected -- just try the Command unit, etc. ... I realize that another $50/car in wire cost adds up to millions over the year, but I'd gladly pay the extra $50)

Anyway, the real reason for this post (other than a sincere "Thank You!") is to supply a couple of pictures I took during my repair effort.
-
Attached Thumbnails No power to trunk, 3rd brake light, or license plate lamps-trunk.jpg   No power to trunk, 3rd brake light, or license plate lamps-severedwire.jpg  

Last edited by user33; 12-03-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Great thread.

I also have a 2007 E 350 and had the same problem. I googled and found this thread. Really like this forum. I added an 8" section of wire and used wire nuts to put it together. I have a question about something that didn't make sense to me. There are other 16 gauge wires in this bundle. Why does only the brown wire break?

Thanks for this helpful thread. ~ SgtRock
Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 PM

E320
Thank you so much for sharing this info! I followed your instructions verbatim and found the broken wire. Spliced it together and my trunk (and plate lights) work as designed with no malfunction light on the instrument cluster.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM

E500
Intermittent trunk, license plate light problem

Had a similar problem but the trunk closing light worked intermittently or I had to partially close trunk for the light/closing mechanism to work and also got an intermittent warning notice on the instruments. I opened the cover as described but could find no break as most of the wiring is wrapped, so using electrical tape I strapped the wiring bundle tightly to the hinge and so far the problem seems to have disappeared. This may just postpone the inevitable break but until then my 10 minutes of work is paying off.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
Great advice. Thanks

Just used your exact instructions. Fixed problem in half an hour. Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM

E350
This worked in 20 minutes!! Wrapped with electrical tape. Was told months ago that it would be $1000 to replace the whole 3rd brake light. After my trunk stopped opening and my license plate lamps went out at the same time I thought it was a fuse. All those were fine and found this thread. Had 2 wires severed. Thanks so much!!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 AM

C450 AMG
Thumbs up OMG... for real.

2007 E550 - I love my car. bought it used two years ago so I did not drop the 100K it cost its original buyer. The car was in mint condition. low mileage. So far its been amazing except for this EXACT problem.

I have been suffering from this problem for over 6 months! I new it was electrical but was just waiting to take it in for repair. or maybe just avoiding the repair cost.

Thanks for the post. I will give it a try tomorrow and see how I do.
:-)
Seb
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM

E270
Boot (Trunk) lid electrics problem fixed

Thank you so much for these posts and for the solution. In my case it was the brown wire that had parted company. Even in the dark using a torch for light I was able to follow "hbamark's" instructions and carry out the repair myself.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: No power to trunk, 3rd brake light, or license plate lamps