E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Alignment by dealer or tire shop w/ new tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Alignment by dealer or tire shop w/ new tires?

Bringing E in for a new set of tires this week. Decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on stock sport rims. Should I have the tire shop do the alignment or bring it back to the dealer? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If your tires are wearing even, and the car doesn't pull to one side, DON'T do an alignment.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i got some new tires/rims 19s and went to sears to get them installed. Of course i watched to make sure they did it right. I did ask the SA to give me the best person that they have there that do aftermarket wheels. Happy w/the results.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Don't the dealerships just send it out anyway for the alignment? I have mine done at a shop. I'm pretty sure you have to get an alignment every time you get a new set of tires.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Don't the dealerships just send it out anyway for the alignment? I have mine done at a shop. I'm pretty sure you have to get an alignment every time you get a new set of tires.
My dealer has an alignment rack. And I wouldn't trust any ole tire shop, and definitely not Sears, to align my W211. No chance.

But vettdvr is on to something. If your previous tires were worn evenly, I wouldn't touch the alignment. The alignment specs in these cars are so finicky, that unless you're sure you need an alignment, I wouldn't touch it.

That said, my car has been lowered since the first week of ownership and I always chew through tires prematurely. I've always gotten the dealer to do an alignment after every set of tires.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My dealer has an alignment rack. And I wouldn't trust any ole tire shop, and definitely not Sears, to align my W211. No chance.

But vettdvr is on to something. If your previous tires were worn evenly, I wouldn't touch the alignment. The alignment specs in these cars are so finicky, that unless you're sure you need an alignment, I wouldn't touch it.

That said, my car has been lowered since the first week of ownership and I always chew through tires prematurely. I've always gotten the dealer to do an alignment after every set of tires.
Ya, some tire shops don't have the programming for MBs. However, the tire guy I go to does mine. I've seen Aston Martins in his shop so he's pretty good. I've checked and my tires have been wearing out almost perfectly evenly (I'm actually kind of shocked since I've never had it wear out so evenly).
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
care to share the name of the person you go to? Thanks!

Originally Posted by gaazmon
Ya, some tire shops don't have the programming for MBs. However, the tire guy I go to does mine. I've seen Aston Martins in his shop so he's pretty good. I've checked and my tires have been wearing out almost perfectly evenly (I'm actually kind of shocked since I've never had it wear out so evenly).
Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vik888
care to share the name of the person you go to? Thanks!
The shop is on Van Nuys Blvd, between Burbank and Oxnard (right next to a Lexus dealership). The company name is Service Tire Co. You can ask for Steve. You can tell him you got his info from Simon (don't worry guys I don't get any commission, just trying to send a good friend business his way).

Here is there info:

5923 VAN NUYS BLVD.
VAN NUYS, CA. 91406

TEL: 818-786-3141
EMAIL: INFO@SERVICETIRECO.COM
Old 09-15-2009, 06:02 PM

2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Dealer or local shop that has road force balancing. Alignment and balancing at the dealer is only $150. Tire mounting would probably don't cost that much.

I brought my car at the dealer for alignment only, charge me only $125.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roehl
Dealer or local shop that has road force balancing. Alignment and balancing at the dealer is only $150. Tire mounting would probably don't cost that much.

I brought my car at the dealer for alignment only, charge me only $125.
When I was researching, the going rate for outside shops that did alignment on MBs was around $80 to $90 in the valley.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 w211 cdi, 05 slk350, R1200GS
I checked with an MB tech (through the back door) at the service dept regarding alignments.
He advised that most independent shops don't have the spec's or proper equipment to tackle late model MB's.
To do a proper alignment the shop needs MB spec's in their data base and computerized alignment equippment. Then, the vehicle needs to be tied down to the machine &/or weights placed in the passenger compartment drivers & passenger seat area.

Most MB service departments do alighments in-house, perhaps some still sublet to independent's in the event they don't have trained tech's & computerized machine.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by bobsquad7
I checked with an MB tech (through the back door) at the service dept regarding alignments.
He advised that most independent shops don't have the spec's or proper equipment to tackle late model MB's.
To do a proper alignment the shop needs MB spec's in their data base and computerized alignment equippment. Then, the vehicle needs to be tied down to the machine &/or weights placed in the passenger compartment drivers & passenger seat area.

Most MB service departments do alighments in-house, perhaps some still sublet to independent's in the event they don't have trained tech's & computerized machine.
You are correct in your information. But I found more. The way you described is the method for driving High Speed on the autobahn or similar driving. If you drive under 100 mph for most driving you can align without the tie down. The difference is reflected in the toe in preloading. At very high speeds the loading on the suspension causes the tires to toe out. Preloading allows for setting toe in while on the rack to simulate high speed driving. So if you keep it most of the time below 100 you can align without the tie down. Just realize that above 100 you will have more tire wear due to the toe out that will occur.

Caster and Camber are not really affected as speed increases as much as toe in settings.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Although the alignment on my car was perfect when I bought it, now 20k miles later, my rear tires have worn evenly, but my front tires are worn on the outer edges. Would repeated high speed driving 100mph+ have done that? I don't do it frequently, but I suppose I could have done it enough to cause that.

What do you think?

Also, I was going to get an alignment done because of the outter edge wear of the tires. Should I then ask them to do it with the car tied down?

Originally Posted by vettdvr
You are correct in your information. But I found more. The way you described is the method for driving High Speed on the autobahn or similar driving. If you drive under 100 mph for most driving you can align without the tie down. The difference is reflected in the toe in preloading. At very high speeds the loading on the suspension causes the tires to toe out. Preloading allows for setting toe in while on the rack to simulate high speed driving. So if you keep it most of the time below 100 you can align without the tie down. Just realize that above 100 you will have more tire wear due to the toe out that will occur.

Caster and Camber are not really affected as speed increases as much as toe in settings.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Vik888
Although the alignment on my car was perfect when I bought it, now 20k miles later, my rear tires have worn evenly, but my front tires are worn on the outer edges. Would repeated high speed driving 100mph+ have done that? I don't do it frequently, but I suppose I could have done it enough to cause that.

What do you think?

Also, I was going to get an alignment done because of the outter edge wear of the tires. Should I then ask them to do it with the car tied down?
If your wear is just outer edges I would suspect too much tire pressure. You might drop the pressure 2 to 3 #'s and solve this. Don't think it is an alignment issue.