E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Retrofitting TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
Retrofitting TPMS sensors

Searched in the W211 area, and I didn't really find any thing very useful. I guess most everybody already have the TPMS sensors..

Does anyone know the part numbers I need to retrofit TPMS sensors and receiver into my car and how to get it to display on the MFD? I saw some post it's about $240 to get them retrofitted but I don't know where to order them and how to enable them in the MFD.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Its a big deal. It requires additional wiring to the wheel wells, TP sensors for each wheel, version coding the car's computer system so that it know the system is there. The cost per sending unit is about what you quote above for the whole system.

It will cost you more than if you had ordered it from the factory & only a few people are willing to tackle the job.

You might consider these: http://www.amazon.com/Tire-Alert-Sel.../dp/B0009RSR36
(You inflate the tires to the desired pressure, screw these caps on and they instantly memorize that pressure one time, forever. Whenever the pressure is 4 lbs below the memorized pressure or the caps are off the car, the LED in the cap blinks red. Put air in the tire & the blinking stops.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-07-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Cannot be the OEM system at $240, you may get the wheel sensors with that money.

The Siemens system for a 2007 car is a bit simpler than the older Beru with an antenna for each wheel but it still needs quite a lot of wiring plus the control unit.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Wheel sensors are at least $100 each from Mercedes.

You can search WIS to verify, but I doubt there's a procedure for retrofitting TPMS, in which case forget it.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 PM

2007 E550 Sports
Ouch! I thought I can get it down for $250-$350 range.. I guess not.. Has anyone actually done one of these? I really like to know a ball park amount that I am looking at.. I certainly don't want to spent more than $500-$600 for a complete system. Barry, did you remember how much it cost as an option when you ordered your car?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You can get an aftermarket system--which will NOT interface with your instru cluster--for maybe the price you like. You pretty much can't retrofit the OE system at all, but for sure not for your price.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by lkchris
You can get an aftermarket system--which will NOT interface with your instru cluster--for maybe the price you like. You pretty much can't retrofit the OE system at all, but for sure not for your price.
Yes One can retrofit the Factory TPMS into a Vehicle that was Not built with it
Did the Wifes W211.It requires a LOT of labor to fit the wire harness...
Along with a set of rims fitted with sensors..then version code the vehicle via SDS ...Re the Price the TPMS sensors alone will cost more than the 250/350 range
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Searched in the W211 area, and I didn't really find any thing very useful. I guess most everybody already have the TPMS sensors..

Does anyone know the part numbers I need to retrofit TPMS sensors and receiver into my car and how to get it to display on the MFD? I saw some post it's about $240 to get them retrofitted but I don't know where to order them and how to enable them in the MFD.
Why do you even want these? My car came with the "basic" TPMS, which just tells you if one of the tires is low, but not which one. And it never tells you what the individual pressures are, as on the more advanced TPMS that some E class cars have. If you're a member of this forum, you probably know how to check your tire pressures anyway, so save your your money.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 AM

2007 E550 Sports
It's true.. but I am one lazy *******.. lol that's why I wanted to retrofit them.. However I originally was looking for the more advanced ones, but right now it seems even the basic tpms is better than nothing..
Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
How much would Steve charge for this? Maybe Mr. Cummins can answer this since he got it done on one of his cars.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I'm looking to do the install as I recently did a trip across Florida (Juno to Tampa) on two lane roads in my 2007 E63 where I found myself really putting my car to the test after having rebuilt the engine and front suspension by making some bold 18 wheeler passes! I was already a hundred miles into the trip when I came upon a strip mall-like town and when I came to the first light I noticed smoke billowing from my Rear Main Seal Leaking onto my exhaust, so I pulled over to check it out! Well, what freaked me out was not the smoke but the fact that I happened to look down at my driver rear tire (relatively "new" Michelins) to see it was totally flat!!! I mean, I seriously 10 minutes before was going gang busters passing semi's and I didn't even notice the totally flat rear tire!! Crazy! It goes to show how well engineered these beasts really are! Not to mention the beefy side walls of those Michelins keeping my rim safe too!! No way I could have pulled that off with my Stage 5 SAAB 9000 Aero without noticing it!! Luckily, one of the four Tire Shops in "town" patched it up for $20! and I doubled that in the form of a tip! Noticing it after the fact my be exhilarating at first, but I would have rather known via the TPMS beforehand if I was loosing air "on the fly" due to a screw puncturing that tire!!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by E63007
I'm looking to do the install as I recently did a trip across Florida (Juno to Tampa) on two lane roads in my 2007 E63 where I found myself really putting my car to the test after having rebuilt the engine and front suspension by making some bold 18 wheeler passes! I was already a hundred miles into the trip when I came upon a strip mall-like town and when I came to the first light I noticed smoke billowing from my Rear Main Seal Leaking onto my exhaust, so I pulled over to check it out! Well, what freaked me out was not the smoke but the fact that I happened to look down at my driver rear tire (relatively "new" Michelins) to see it was totally flat!!! I mean, I seriously 10 minutes before was going gang busters passing semi's and I didn't even notice the totally flat rear tire!! Crazy! It goes to show how well engineered these beasts really are! Not to mention the beefy side walls of those Michelins keeping my rim safe too!! No way I could have pulled that off with my Stage 5 SAAB 9000 Aero without noticing it!! Luckily, one of the four Tire Shops in "town" patched it up for $20! and I doubled that in the form of a tip! Noticing it after the fact my be exhilarating at first, but I would have rather known via the TPMS beforehand if I was loosing air "on the fly" due to a screw puncturing that tire!!
Good luck. The harnesses are no longer available for years. Not even junk yard sellers on eBay have any because these morons rather cut them all up in order to dismantle the cars in record time. They don’t understand that they through away gold in form of harnesses. I’m about to build some harnesses for my own two cars to retrofit it though. That’s the only way today.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two 2005 E320 CDI, ML63 4MATIC
I have multiple updates planned for my 03 e320. Waiting to pick a good point to add multiple harnesses since I will be tearing the interior apart to add them. I was able to buy the harness for the Beru system last year P/N 2115406207. It included the air suspension lines that run from the rear of the vehicle. I will be deleting the air lines since I don't have the air suspension. The only parts I am missing are the front mounting brackets that are no longer available. As others have stated, this is not a cheap update.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 PM
Banned

His car is a facelift and won’t work with Beru system. You’re correct, the brackets are no longer available either. These cars are old and MB doesn’t care anymore. Old cars don’t make money. They want just like every US maker that you buy or lease a new one every year. This is the only way they can keep going. If one plant spits out 400 cars every day (and this is not a hypothetical number), that means they have to be sold. When is this world finally at the verge of complete collapse with this financial system that only makes 0.00001% richer every day on the backs of 99%?

Last edited by Mackhack; 05-31-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two 2005 E320 CDI, ML63 4MATIC
Point taken. I wanted to let him know that, as of last year, the harness could still be purchased. I suspect MB is only producing one variant. So if you order it you may get the version that includes the air suspension hoses.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:33 PM
Banned

The air hoses are only there for AIRmatic vehicles. Since the harness goes along the way to each wheel house they combined multiple harness and in your case air hoses for faster assembly at the assembly line.

As an example, for US W211, ATA, Airmaric hoses, TPMS, Keyless Go, and the main chassis harnesses was one gigantic pile of cables weighing approximately 80 lbs.

Last edited by Mackhack; 05-31-2020 at 10:36 PM.