E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

certain noise i cant figure out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
certain noise i cant figure out

ok, so i am going to try and explain this as best as i can. for the past couple of weeks i have been hearing a strange sound coming from either side or the front or my car(each wheel well interchangeably). the sound is almost like metal on metal but not quite. now the strange, the noise only seems to happen when i either turn the wheel a great degree at low speeds or if i am even driving slow and straight in the rain. the noise goes away after i pass around 10-15mph. any ideas? no codes and no signs of rubbing anywhere in the wheel well and brake pads are fine
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by machman8
ok, so i am going to try and explain this as best as i can. for the past couple of weeks i have been hearing a strange sound coming from either side or the front or my car(each wheel well interchangeably). the sound is almost like metal on metal but not quite. now the strange, the noise only seems to happen when i either turn the wheel a great degree at low speeds or if i am even driving slow and straight in the rain. the noise goes away after i pass around 10-15mph. any ideas? no codes and no signs of rubbing anywhere in the wheel well and brake pads are fine
Given limited data and I can't hear the sound. I suspect you have bad ball joints. You didn't mention mileage but at 67,000 or so miles I had my ball joints replaced and this is a common problem.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
That's the thing, ball joints recently replaced, car has 73k miles

the noise does not happen all the time either, as sometimes when I try and show knowledgable friends it cannot be replicated, it also switches sides, I think the most detail is that for some reason in cold/rainy weather it makes the sound whether I am going straight or turning but only at low speeds, everything feels fine after 15-20, but on normal days it'll only make the noise when turns are made and even then randomly
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by machman8
That's the thing, ball joints recently replaced, car has 73k miles
Have the torque strut bushings checked if not already replaced. Normally associated with steering wheel twitch at low speeds or when braking nevertheless the hydro-mount or partially hollow rubber bushings installed at production can deform, modified solid rubber bushings have an increased resilience towards deforming – part # 2113331114 (for comparison shopping, parts.com $25.88).