Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E 500 2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2014 E 350 Sport
Question Ball Joint Replacement

Today, 10:20 AM * #1
spoke
Drives: 2004 E500
Ball joints controll arm bushings
I took my E500 to the dealer for front end alinment and was told they could not do the work unless they replaced the ball joints and bushings.
This cost $2,500.00 plus tax. The car has 50,000 miles and I have never had to have this kind of work done on any car I have owned. Does this mean that the E5000 has a week front end? Is this a common problem?
Does any one know if this work can be done DYI?
I am thinking maybe I should replace the car instead.
It seems strange to have these going bad this soon in the cars expected life of 100K
Today, 03:44 PM * #2
Drives: 1999 e320
i see lower ball joints and thrust arm bushings go out all the time///you can do it your self if you have ball joint remover and installer and press for installing new bushings//
Today, 05:38 PM * #3
spoke

Ok so there are speical tools for this?
Does any one have pictures on how to do this?
I think I can do it myself if I know witch parts to replace and were I can rent or buy the tools.
This is the only way I can keep my car is to fix it myself.
I really need to be told how to do this I have never replaced ball joints or bushings.
Thanks, Spoke
Today, 05:42 PM * #4
spoke
Discount Parts?
Were can I buy discounted parts like ball joints and bushings? I also need pads and rotors for my 2004 E500.
Thanks, Spoke
Today, 05:50 PM * #5
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
Take it to an indy. I had mine (both balljoints onthe e320)done for $500 including parts~! I did both although only needed the driver side. Sucks it went out at 64k miles.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
If you are handy, then this is not that bad of a change (the lower ball joints). You will need a ball joint separator (the two pronged fork looking thing), a small sledge hammer, and a ball joint press tool. The separator and the press can be used free through and auto parts supplier that loans out tools. In NY we have Autozone that can loan them to you - just pay upfront and you get a refund when you return it. The separator is used to separate the lover control arm from the ball joint - you will need a small sledge to bang the separator into the joint to separate it. Becareful of the other thrust arm ball joint behind it. Keep hacking at the separator, dont just quit on it. The autozone press is for American cars, but if you are creative, you can make it work. Otherwise the Mercedes ball joint press can be purchased on Ebay - which should be much easier to use. I think once you see how the ball joint is sitting in the knuckle, you'll know that you need the press to "push" out the old ball joint, and then to press in the new ball joint. It really helps a lot to have a friend assist you.

As for parts, you can buy them online - just make sure you get the updated version. I cant find the updated part # but you can call your Mercedes dealer for it and search that way. The updated design should prolong the life of the ball joint.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
As for the bushings, are you talking about the thrust arm or the control arm bushings? Most likely it's the thrust arm, but you need to confirm this. The thrust arm is the arm that goes to the front to the knuckle, and the control arm is the one going from under the shock to the lower ball joint. If it's bad it's probably leaking. It's much easier if it's the thrust arm - because you don't have to remove the sway bar joint in the middle of the lower control arm.

The bushings can always be pressed in and you don't have to worry about buying the whole part - just the bushing. I've never had to do this, but i heard that if you dont press it in evenly, then it will wear/leak prematurely. probably best if you can pay a local mechanic a couple of bucks to do it for you.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 PM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
ball joints

I've changed both mid controll arm ball joints. It took me over 3 hours but I saved a lot of $, found two ball joint on the Internet for 23.58 each plus shipping and the manufacturer was LEMFOERDER which is the OEM part.
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._2CB14693.aspx
it was kind of easy job, got the ball joint remover/pressure at autozone for free (just deposit) for one week and few average tools that all we have in the garage. Don't pay 500 for that if you can DIY.

hubi
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM

2004 E 500 2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2014 E 350 Sport
Thumbs up Independent Shop

I found a shop that the former shop foreman at Mercedes has opened in 2008 and got a seconded opinion free of charge. It turns out that I only need right side lower ball joint and right side control arm replaced. They will do it tax included for $616. that includes front end alignment and they will do all brake pads and rotors for $784. tax included.
I decided to have them do it this time. It will be easier on me and i would probably screw something up with the bushing. Also the complete control arm has to be replaced the ball joint in that is a part of the arm.
So for $1,400.00 I am on the road again.
This shop seems really good I am lucky to find them the dealer can not be trusted to do the work they say that they will do.
If anyone needs a Mercedes shop in Naples this one is the best I have seen;
MB EXPERTS (239) 331 - 7420
3951 Arnold Avenue
Naples FL 34109