E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

FUEL PUMP FAILURE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES BENZ S55 AMG
FUEL PUMP FAILURE

I have a 2002 Mercedes Benz E320 Avantgarde which has had an unexpected engine shut down whilst driving. The engine will start but will not fire up. I suspect it has a fuel pump failure. I can have it replaced but was being advised to replace the fuel delivery system at the same time. Is it true?

Also, there has been a dash display message: "consumer electronics switched off" but once the car has been driven for few days, it goes away. However, if the car has not been driven for few days, the battery is drained. Needs a jumpt start and it would then recharge but still dispalys the consumer electronics swithed off. The interior roof lights also do not function due to power supply. I would like to know if there is an electrical problem with the car and how to find a solution.

I will appreciate some advise please.

Last edited by Nazir Jinnah; 11-09-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
You can search this forum for extensive discussion about the battery message.
Most of it appears to revolve around the aux battery. I believe the UK 2002 E320 is a W211 series?

The small battery has the ability to throw a warning code even though the charging system is healthy. Other problems are a "battery control module" that directs the the charging system and our cars (US) had a problem with the alternator / voltage regulator.
Any of these could be your culprit. Maybe the main battery is old / failing as well. I dont think the aux battery assists starting,

As for the fuel problem. I have not read any fuel pump issues on this board. Some have replaced the fuel filter located atop the tank. Access is beneath the rear seat and I believe it takes a M-B tool to get it open.
I THINK the pump can be removed from this area as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
You can search this forum for extensive discussion about the battery message.
Most of it appears to revolve around the aux battery. I believe the UK 2002 E320 is a W211 series?

The small battery has the ability to throw a warning code even though the charging system is healthy. Other problems are a "battery control module" that directs the the charging system and our cars (US) had a problem with the alternator / voltage regulator.
Any of these could be your culprit. Maybe the main battery is old / failing as well. I dont think the aux battery assists starting,

As for the fuel problem. I have not read any fuel pump issues on this board. Some have replaced the fuel filter located atop the tank. Access is beneath the rear seat and I believe it takes a M-B tool to get it open.
I THINK the pump can be removed from this area as well.
Without codes and just observation sounds like CPS to me. Cranks means to me just fires or attempts to fire then quits. The CPS is also subject to fail.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES BENZ S55 AMG
Mercedes Benz E320 Avantgarde

Further to your responses, I have replaced a new 100A battery which should have been there in the first place. The electronics work well including the interior ambient lighting. The previous battery was dying and was creating a electronic consumers power drain.
However, driving the car for about 30 minutes, it all feels and drives like a new Mercedes. But the engine stalls. The engine will crank but wont run. It takes about an hour to restart and an engine light stays on in the cluster. I will appreciate it if i could get a reconfirmation for replacing the fuel pump and fule delivery part. I would also change the fuel filter at the same time.