E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ETA display of the navigation system wrong???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
ETA display of the navigation system wrong???

Hi @ all,

I wanted to ask you guys if this is normal to see 1:11 11 MI while doing 90 mph on the freeway. Is this ETA wrong due to a older HU firmware version?
Attached Thumbnails ETA display of the navigation system wrong???-pic-0145.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
But if it is ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), you have to let us know the current time (when the photo was taken). I guess the system can be programmed for both options, ETA or the estimated time left on the journey?

I thought you would not see any ETA if the HU SW was too old.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

HU is 03/2006 according to the EM. I can either show ETA per menu selectable or detailed information like Latitude/Longitude, Altitude, Satellites and something else but I can't remember.

Current time was about 4PM, I drove about 4 Minutes since start. But the thing is, 1:11 never changed although 11 MI obviously decreased by the amount of miles I drove toward my destination. And my true driving time was about 15 minutes I would guess.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
The time shown will be the time you arrive. Not how much longer it will take. Maybe the clock in the COMAND is incorrect if you were driving at 4pm and it said you would arrive a 1:11 AM with only 11 miles to go.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

How do I know thought it is 1:11 AM? I will check the clock later. I went into the Date/Time setting earlier but I thought I saw the correct date/time being set.

Would this also answer the question why the Nav/GPS date is always 1 day ahead b/c of a wrong date/time setting of the COMAND?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I always have the coordinates showing since it also shows the altitude. I use the altimeter all the time here in Colorado. To get the ETA and the hours of travel left I press the upper left soft button "info" and it will first give me all that data. It is usually dead on!

Go to the service menu in the COMAND unit and make sure that the hour is set correctly, then make the dash clock synchronize to the navigation unit. This is neat because when you are driving and you across a time zone it automatically sets the clock in the dash! I thought that was cool.

Steve
Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I always have the coordinates showing since it also shows the altitude. I use the altimeter all the time here in Colorado. To get the ETA and the hours of travel left I press the upper left soft button "info" and it will first give me all that data. It is usually dead on!

Go to the service menu in the COMAND unit and make sure that the hour is set correctly, then make the dash clock synchronize to the navigation unit. This is neat because when you are driving and you across a time zone it automatically sets the clock in the dash! I thought that was cool.

Steve
Check in your COMAND system settings for the clock like Steve said above.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

Steve
Steve, how do I sync the dash clock with the COMAND clock? I always set both sep.

And is it important to have it on 24h or 12h setting in the COMAND in order to have it sync'ed?

I didn't know it will change the time automatically when you cross time zones.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Steve, how do I sync the dash clock with the COMAND clock? I always set both sep.

And is it important to have it on 24h or 12h setting in the COMAND in order to have it sync'ed?

I think the syncing option is in the instrument cluster menu options.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

I double checked my COMAND:
-Time is correct and in 12 AM/PM mode
-Date is correct and in MM/DD/YYYY mode

So now what could be the reason? Nav unit went in yesterday for version coding but for some reason it is not I believe since I don't have the extra cluster display menu option.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R

I don't think that 12hr or 24 hr has anything to do with it. If I remember correctly, there is a setting in the MFD (it might be in the instrument cluster menu, under settings) where you can set to have the dash clock be controlled by the navigation. Then you press that service button on the COMAND and hit the soft button to Time/Date (I think). You can NOT set the minutes on the clock, but you can set the hour. Once you set it there you will see the clock in the dash change. You need to have the ignition on (but the engine does not need to be running) to do this.

I cross time zones quite often and I always liked the fact that the car always was on the correct time.

Hope this helps, but if it does not, you will have to read the manual. I have not driven my E in just over 4 weeks, so I have not checked my instructions out while in the car. I have been enjoying the nice weather and the Porsche is the car for that. :-)

Steve
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

I don't think that 12hr or 24 hr has anything to do with it. If I remember correctly, there is a setting in the MFD (it might be in the instrument cluster menu, under settings) where you can set to have the dash clock be controlled by the navigation. Then you press that service button on the COMAND and hit the soft button to Time/Date (I think). You can NOT set the minutes on the clock, but you can set the hour. Once you set it there you will see the clock in the dash change. You need to have the ignition on (but the engine does not need to be running) to do this.

Steve
I checked the pdf about the car's MFD and it is only available with Nav drive installed. Since I have the nav installed I will check again later if this part of the MFD setting is present now (although version coding hasn't been done yet).

I didn't see anything related in the COMAND/Nav menu. If you have a chance could you check and write it up for me how to get to this menu
Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked the pdf about the car's MFD and it is only available with Nav drive installed. Since I have the nav installed I will check again later if this part of the MFD setting is present now (although version coding hasn't been done yet).

I didn't see anything related in the COMAND/Nav menu. If you have a chance could you check and write it up for me how to get to this menu
I will be glad to check for you, but I don't know if I will have time when I get home from work today. If you have not figured it out by tomorrow, I should be able to go to the car and take pictures of the menu. So post on this thread if you have not gotten anywhere on the MFD dash setting tonight and I will see it tomorrow when I check this forum. Then I can check on my Benz when I get home.

Steve
Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Thanks a bunch for your help. I will check and post my "experience"
Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Checked MFD's Date/Time submenu and there is no submenu for the sync feature. Believe it will be there once navigation is version coded.

I'll be waiting for your input about the COMAND menu/submenu.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
"Synchronizing the time" is the very first function in the Time/Date submenu where you are currently setting the time and the date. However, page 144 of the 2004 owner's manual states, "This function can only be seen on vehicles with COMAND and navigation module." So it won't show up until you have it coded.

If you don't have the owner's manual handy, you can download it at

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Dan thanks for the help. I have it as a pdf and that's what I read and state already as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E 350
Slight hijack - I've noticed that the ETA function does not take into account a time zone change that will be occurring.

For example if I'm in the central time zone and my destination is in the eastern time zone my ETA will be off by a hour until I cross into the eastern time zone when it corrects automatically.

I've got the clock set so it gets it's time from the nav system.

Anybody know if there's a setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks.
Randy
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Went back to the dealership today for the second attempt of version coding. They couldn't do it again.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

3rd attempt is a charm. I did it myself with a friend's SDS. Took me 5 minutes and it worked. Everything is version coded. I found out though that the dealership updated my AGW/COMAND without asking me and VIM is disabled AGAIN :-(