Mercedes-Benz E270 W211 Front Left Bearing Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E270 W211
Mercedes-Benz E270 W211 Front Left Bearing Change

Hello everyone ,

I'm English and living in rural France. I have a 2004 E270 CDI and two days ago an intermittent squeaking started in the front left wheel. There was an oily stain coming from the plastic emblem in the centre of the road wheel, I removed the wheel and as it came off the grease cover from the spindle dropped off. I could see the bearing rollers were shot and smelt burnt grease. I've looked at the forum and can't find much about bearing replacement . I noted that i will have to disable the SBC otherwise lock the car and wait 5 minutes before working in this area (caliper removal etc). I have ordered a new bearing kit from a local supplier It should arrive today. I read somewhere that there is some sort of magnetic speed sensor in the bearing does anyone have knowledge of this? I have never done this sort of job before and would appreciate a step by step method. How do I get the bearing of the spindle? Please tell me anything you know. Any special tools required ?
Best regards
Harby
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by harby
Hello everyone ,

I'm English and living in rural France. I have a 2004 E270 CDI and two days ago an intermittent squeaking started in the front left wheel. There was an oily stain coming from the plastic emblem in the centre of the road wheel, I removed the wheel and as it came off the grease cover from the spindle dropped off. I could see the bearing rollers were shot and smelt burnt grease. I've looked at the forum and can't find much about bearing replacement . I noted that i will have to disable the SBC otherwise lock the car and wait 5 minutes before working in this area (caliper removal etc). I have ordered a new bearing kit from a local supplier It should arrive today. I read somewhere that there is some sort of magnetic speed sensor in the bearing does anyone have knowledge of this? I have never done this sort of job before and would appreciate a step by step method. How do I get the bearing of the spindle? Please tell me anything you know. Any special tools required ?
Best regards
Harby
The speed sensor is the inner grease seal. There should be 4 magnets built into the seal. YOU MUST USE OEM seal for replacement or you won't have the speed input.

Use PM and send me your email address and I will send you the files I have for the E series bearing change.