E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Newbie looking at the W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
I will. Car is in anyways for the last repairs before extended warranty runs out in Jan. I gave them the order to check VMI and do all the free things anyways. But I will ask for a print out of the history.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by gaazmon
any e class 03 - 06. for 07 - 09, only e63s have them
My 2009 E63 has hydraulic and no SBC
The only electronics are the same as all 07 on: BAS, EBP, and adaptive braking.

also, the 07+ cars (minus e63) come with pre-safe now.
Again, my 2009 E63 has pre-safe.

Here's the media release from Daimler AG for the 2007 W211 E63:

"Like all the variants of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the new E 63 AMG benefits from the extensive model enhancements which guarantee optimal handling safety. For example the standard inclusion of PRE-SAFE®, the preventive, award-winning safety system offered exclusively by Mercedes-Benz. PRE-SAFE® already recognises critical situations as they develop: if braking deceleration exceeds a certain level or the vehicle threatens to develop a skid, the system tensions the front seat belts as a precaution, adjusts the position, height and cushion/backrest angle of the front passenger seat, and closes the side windows and sliding sunroof to leave only a small gap."
Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Very informative about PRE-SAFE. I saw some youtube videos about it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum R/T heads/cam/headers
Ok any particular things I need to ask the dealer(s) about this car?
I am in dialogue with three dealers right now - neither of which is an MB dealer but neither is a corner lot used car dealer either - they're just not MB specific.

Are there any options that are very desireable I should ask about? One car is listed as having the Harmon Kardon system, the other two are not... is that standard or??? Any help with options and such would be appreciated - perhaps there is a list somewhere of available options on this model?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

HK is always a good one... The sound is a million times better just to mention that.

If you would give us a list what each car has you might get some feedback about it.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by 220S
Again, my 2009 E63 has pre-safe.
oops, that was a typo. yes, the 63 does have pre-safe (i should've double checked my typing).

I thought the E63/CLS63 still had SBC?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Mercedes Benz E500 4MATIC
Originally Posted by V8OrDeath
Specifically the 2005 E500 4-Matic. It'll be the new daily driver - I'm in sales so I drive a lot. I read somewhere that the 04s are a bit more prone to issues than the 2005s so that's the reason I'm looking at this model - I'd rather get the newer ones of course but the budget I have in mind (16-18K) doesn't allow it.

I have researched German cars for six months trying to make a decision and looked at Audi A4s, S4s, BMW M5, regular 5-series and MB E-Class and C-Class. I think I finally came to a decision and will be seriously looking at this car. The purchase will be in the beginning of 2010 so hopefully I'll find a nice, clean example that will last me a while.

My other cars are a 2000 Chrysler LHS which is it's the current DD. The other car is a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with performance heads, aftermarket camshaft, shorty headers and other goodies. As many know, the LX cars share parts with MB like for example the transmission (NAG1/WA580) and some of the electronics. The cruise control stalk and turn signal stalk are right out of an MB interior. Of course the partnership between Daimler AG and Chrysler has since ended but the LX cars benefitted from a lot of nice technology and parts while it lasted.

Anyway, good to be on board and I hope to learn a lot more about the car here.

Hey v8 LOL we have the same cars instead I have a 07 R/t and 03 condorde limited LOL this is insane....anyways...oh I do have 04 e500 4matic too.....ok I find the e500 to be good when things are working good but sometime the car makes me upset. YES its true get the best/longest warranty possible...little silly things break on these cars and its not cheap. Rims are known for easily getting bent out of shape due to rough roads and pot holes. Having own both vehicles I would say the dodge is more durable. The transmission thats in the 4matic doesnt shift or drive the same as the one in the dodge. If I were you I would prob look at a non 4matic model if you do not need it because you will gain the 7speed transmission which is a blast to drive. Also compared to the ride over rough roads the benz might feel harsh due to low profile tires on the vehicle and wheel size. As much as I just complained about the car I do like it. Before you buy I want you to test drive a couple so you can have a good idea of how the car is. Here is what you need to do apon buying yours..

1. Check the vehicle all the way around look at rims and also paint very well. Feel the car as you go around to ensure it wasnt in an accident...etc....

2. If you buying an E500 make sure the vehicle rides good and that it is level. Listen to the engine and make sure it sounds normal and also the car shifts good and brakes are in good condition.

3.Check inside Audio system and make sure speakers aren't blown and also check computer to make sure the vehicle displays no error messages. Test the AC/system by puting the front on heat and Rears on cool and vice versa.

4. Check Carfax history report... Most dealers report when service to the car is done so you can see what repairs and/or problems the vehicle might of had.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 e320 cdi
Ok any particular things I need to ask the dealer(s) about this car?
I am in dialogue with three dealers right now - neither of which is an MB dealer but neither is a corner lot used car dealer either - they're just not MB specific.

Are there any options that are very desireable I should ask about? One car is listed as having the Harmon Kardon system, the other two are not... is that standard or??? Any help with options and such would be appreciated - perhaps there is a list somewhere of available options on this model?

Thanks
I don't know if bluetooth is important to you, or not. That was my biggest surprise. If the car doesn't have hands-free phone pre-wiring (cell phone cradle), the dealers would want >$2000 to put it in. And not all dealers do that. With pre-wiring, it still cost $400 to add bluetooth module. Only 2008+ models have bluetooth capability straight out of factory. That's my understanding. Without MB hands-free phone pre-wiring, you can get after-market bluetooth/ipod integration unit for about $900, that's still expensive ....
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anewbie
I don't know if bluetooth is important to you, or not. That was my biggest surprise. If the car doesn't have hands-free phone pre-wiring (cell phone cradle), the dealers would want >$2000 to put it in. And not all dealers do that. With pre-wiring, it still cost $400 to add bluetooth module. Only 2008+ models have bluetooth capability straight out of factory. That's my understanding. Without MB hands-free phone pre-wiring, you can get after-market bluetooth/ipod integration unit for about $900, that's still expensive ....
900? Wow rip off. 300 bucks and 10 minutes of your time and you have BT in your car
Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Good point about the BT - It would be nice but not a huge deal. I have a set up with my blackberry which works ok but it's definitely a nice thing to have in the car. The Magnum has it and it couldn't be easier to use. Neither car I'm looking at has a specific list of options - you know how they are; just list all the crap the car has, even stuff like ABS brakes and power steering... NO REALLY, IT HAS THAT??!!! Sigh.

I would love the HK sound system. HK makes some of the best audio systems around, for cars and otherwise. How about the parking thing - parktronic?? Is that a rare option or do basically all the cars have it?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hawk25
Hey v8 LOL we have the same cars instead I have a 07 R/t and 03 condorde limited LOL this is insane....anyways...oh I do have 04 e500 4matic too.....ok I find the e500 to be good when things are working good but sometime the car makes me upset. YES its true get the best/longest warranty possible...little silly things break on these cars and its not cheap. Rims are known for easily getting bent out of shape due to rough roads and pot holes. Having own both vehicles I would say the dodge is more durable. The transmission thats in the 4matic doesnt shift or drive the same as the one in the dodge. If I were you I would prob look at a non 4matic model if you do not need it because you will gain the 7speed transmission which is a blast to drive. Also compared to the ride over rough roads the benz might feel harsh due to low profile tires on the vehicle and wheel size. As much as I just complained about the car I do like it. Before you buy I want you to test drive a couple so you can have a good idea of how the car is.
haha is too funny. The LHS and the later Concordes even have the exact same body - LHS became Concorde after the LHS name was dropped after 2001. Hey you have good taste Yeah my Magnum has been perfect - not a single problem of any kind in nearly two years of ownership, even after major engine mods it's as reliable as ever. The LHS has been the same way - I think I've spent $600 besides oil changes and other regular maintenance on it in three and half years of ownership. Not bad for a now 10 year old car. I figure Daimler Chrysler has served me well so far - I'm figuring I can't go completely wrong with an MB product.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned

Good point about the BT - It would be nice but not a huge deal. I have a set up with my blackberry which works ok but it's definitely a nice thing to have in the car. The Magnum has it and it couldn't be easier to use. Neither car I'm looking at has a specific list of options - you know how they are; just list all the crap the car has, even stuff like ABS brakes and power steering... NO REALLY, IT HAS THAT??!!! Sigh.

I would love the HK sound system. HK makes some of the best audio systems around, for cars and otherwise. How about the parking thing - parktronic?? Is that a rare option or do basically all the cars have it?
It's good to have if you don't know how to park your car... I'm messing with you. I never needed it but I can tell you one thing. Whenever you go reverse towards a wall, I look 3 times to make sure I don't hit the wall b/c it is hard to see the back (partially b/c of the limo dark tint) end of the car. So if you would get a car with it why not. But H/K is def. over Parktronic.

Last edited by Mackhack; 12-14-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by hawk25
Here is what you need to do apon buying yours..

1. Check the vehicle all the way around look at rims and also paint very well. Feel the car as you go around to ensure it wasnt in an accident...etc....

2. If you buying an E500 make sure the vehicle rides good and that it is level. Listen to the engine and make sure it sounds normal and also the car shifts good and brakes are in good condition.

3.Check inside Audio system and make sure speakers aren't blown and also check computer to make sure the vehicle displays no error messages. Test the AC/system by puting the front on heat and Rears on cool and vice versa.

4. Check Carfax history report... Most dealers report when service to the car is done so you can see what repairs and/or problems the vehicle might of had.
Yeah I'll definitely do all my due dilligence. Even Carfax isn't perfect, so it's important to give the car a good inspection before buying it. I really look forward to the test drive(s) and see how I like it. I'm sure I will. I looked at BMW and Audi for a while and while I do appreciate their sporty attitude and image, I feel the MB doesn't give up much there but kills the other two in comfort and hopefully also in overall build quality.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
It's good to have if you don't know how to park your car... I'm messing with you. I never needed it but I can tell you one thing. Whenever you go reverse towards a wall, I look 3 times to make sure I don't hit the wall b/c it is hard to see the back (partially b/c of the limo dark tint) end of the car. So if you would get a car with it why not. But H/K is def. over Parktronic.
haha yeah I always thought it was a bit weird when people say they can't live without it... some of the BMW guys are like that... I mean... you know how to park, right? Does something need to go BEEP to help you? It's cool and probably useful to some degree but yeah, between those options I'd pick the HK 100 out of 100 times.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
haha yeah I always thought it was a bit weird when people say they can't live without it... some of the BMW guys are like that... I mean... you know how to park, right? Does something need to go BEEP to help you? It's cool and probably useful to some degree but yeah, between those options I'd pick the HK 100 out of 100 times.
I find it HILARIOUS when I see as SMART car with parking sensors
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oops, that was a typo. yes, the 63 does have pre-safe (i should've double checked my typing).

I thought the E63/CLS63 still had SBC?
No SBC on my car. Unless the dealer ripped it out, LOL.

My SA says no SBC on all Es including AMGs and only on the SLs. But my car def doesn't have it.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM

I'm curious about the SBC as well. Never drove a car with that before.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

Don't worry about it... It's a brake and it works.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SBC was an idea ahead of its time. (brake-by-wire.) But it was plagued by software issues. It was unfortunate because it was a good system. It allowed for a lot less manual foot pressure and sensed the driver's braking style. It also had a unique brake hold feature (at a stop light, etc.)

But now modern ESP and electronic assists have made SBC obsolete and it's been discontinued (except the last of the SLs)

It cost MB a fortune to develop it and cost another fortune in SBC failure recalls and free extended SBC warranties. It was co-developed with Bosch and built by Bosch so you can blame them.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM

So there is a recall for it if/when I would have an issue with it?
On my LHS, a bolt broke on the driver's seat, making the seat unable to stay upright but there was a recall for it and the dealer fixed it free of charge although the vehicle was way out of warranty at the time.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 e320 cdi
Post bluetooth in your car

Originally Posted by Mackhack
900? Wow rip off. 300 bucks and 10 minutes of your time and you have BT in your car
May I ask who makes this 300 bucks part to add BT to in my car - 2006 e320 cdi ? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

MB!!! But dealers sell it for way more than that!