E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Newbie looking at the W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum R/T heads/cam/headers
Newbie looking at the W211

Specifically the 2005 E500 4-Matic. It'll be the new daily driver - I'm in sales so I drive a lot. I read somewhere that the 04s are a bit more prone to issues than the 2005s so that's the reason I'm looking at this model - I'd rather get the newer ones of course but the budget I have in mind (16-18K) doesn't allow it.

I have researched German cars for six months trying to make a decision and looked at Audi A4s, S4s, BMW M5, regular 5-series and MB E-Class and C-Class. I think I finally came to a decision and will be seriously looking at this car. The purchase will be in the beginning of 2010 so hopefully I'll find a nice, clean example that will last me a while.

My other cars are a 2000 Chrysler LHS which is it's the current DD. The other car is a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with performance heads, aftermarket camshaft, shorty headers and other goodies. As many know, the LX cars share parts with MB like for example the transmission (NAG1/WA580) and some of the electronics. The cruise control stalk and turn signal stalk are right out of an MB interior. Of course the partnership between Daimler AG and Chrysler has since ended but the LX cars benefitted from a lot of nice technology and parts while it lasted.

Anyway, good to be on board and I hope to learn a lot more about the car here.

Last edited by V8OrDeath; 12-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
The best piece of advice I can give you is pay for an extended warranty. These cars are very expensive to fix when problems come about.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I reco buy one with out sbc brakes and airmatic suspension for better reliability and lower maintenance cost.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
I can only tell user SolidGranite has been right and get a extended warranty. I got one for about 3200 Dollars and I spend so far 3600. It was worth for me. I will go in one more time to get stuff done before my 24 months/30k Miles are over. I'm not sure if I get another extended warranty since I believe most of the problems I had so far are fixed with new parts. I never had an issue with SBC so I can't confirm vettdvr's post. But I let my extended warranty company pay for the damper that eliminated the rattling/vibrating issue that came from the SBC pump.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Welcome! Make sure you fully research your prospective purchase before buying it. Get the maintenance history, etc and look for any outstanding / recurring issues.
Even with a warranty, it's still a hassle to have the car in the shop all the time...

That being said, once you find one, you are going to absolutely love it!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Yes, the 05s were a big step up in quality from the 04s. 06s are even better.

Ya, the 07's might be a bit to pricey right now still.

Out of the cars you listed, I think your making a good choice with the E. Great for DD, excellent comfort (the 5's and A/S4's cannot compare IMO).

Ya, I had a 05 chrysler 300 limited before and it had some stuff from MB (the V8's had the 5 speed tiptronic). I wish it was the 300C, those were so much nicer (better leather, better wood, projector headlights, more MB parts, etc).
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 119 Likes on 77 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
2004 E-500 highly recommended.

Bought mine on ebay, sight unseen 4 months ago.

Happy with the car and the performance, etc.
(Bad experience with the trucking from Chigago to Fort Lauderdale however, but not the car or the seller's fault)

No issues yet, but I did buy a 36/36000 warranty from the local MB dealer at $3200.00 including sales tax.

For any questions, send me a PM and don't let the negative guys turn ya off, these are great cars with lots of life left in them.

(As long as yer car is clean with no collision or other damage, well maintained and no driving on salty roads in the rust-belt..As any car)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by gaazmon
Yes, the 05s were a big step up in quality from the 04s. 06s are even better.

Ya, the 07's might be a bit to pricey right now still.

Out of the cars you listed, I think your making a good choice with the E. Great for DD, excellent comfort (the 5's and A/S4's cannot compare IMO).

Ya, I had a 05 chrysler 300 limited before and it had some stuff from MB (the V8's had the 5 speed tiptronic). I wish it was the 300C, those were so much nicer (better leather, better wood, projector headlights, more MB parts, etc).
Yeah especially the S4... just got a feeling it's a bit too "sporty" for a DD and probably on a small side as well. 300 eh? Yeah actually the V6s with the five-speed had the same transmission as the V8s and that transmission can take a beating like few others. 500 RWHP not problem at all for a stock NAG1/WA580. The LX cars are excellent and if I didn't have one already, I'd get one. Used they are one of the best values on the road, especially with the HEMIs.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
Welcome! Make sure you fully research your prospective purchase before buying it. Get the maintenance history, etc and look for any outstanding / recurring issues.
Even with a warranty, it's still a hassle to have the car in the shop all the time...

That being said, once you find one, you are going to absolutely love it!
I found a few which have made the short list. All 2005 E500 4-Matics. I was out on sales today and went to see one of them which had 70000 miles. It's amazing how much negotiating power you have when you're not ready to buy - pricing came down $2k before I could blink my eyes. Anyway, the car was incredible inside. I can't get over how nice the interior is and I love that I can see the three-pointed star on the hood. Very cool. Body was in ok condition except for two pretty bad scratches on the rear bumper, but the rims were the biggest issue as they were badly corroded on the passenger side. It's going to be a DD, but those didn't look good. I didn't have time for a test drive as I was "at work" but I may go look at it again later. The car was black and while I don't prefer that color, the car certainly looks fantastic in black, I have to say.

I know I've made the right choice of which car to buy, now I just have to find THE ONE.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i'll see you mine?!!! but you are looking at $16-18K which would be out of the price range i want for mine...i'm trying to get an 05-06 E55 AMG ..
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by novae500
i'll see you mine?!!! but you are looking at $16-18K which would be out of the price range i want for mine...i'm trying to get an 05-06 E55 AMG ..
Yeah the 06s are out of my range right now. Nice car though

Btw what would a couple of replacement rims cost?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

I negotiated 6 hours, left the table 7 times (didn't wanna buy a car back then but wanted to see what will happen) and got them down from 34k to 24k and got 9k for my used paid off car. So my car was 15k out the door. They paid for all the fees and even threw a LoJack and leather protection stuff on top of it just to get this deal Happy camper. Can't complain.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
I negotiated 6 hours, left the table 7 times (didn't wanna buy a car back then but wanted to see what will happen) and got them down from 34k to 24k and got 9k for my used paid off car. So my car was 15k out the door. They paid for all the fees and even threw a LoJack and leather protection stuff on top of it just to get this deal Happy camper. Can't complain.
Awesome - that's negotiating. The guy I talked to today mentioned the small crack in my car's bumper, so I ripped his car for its scratches and bad wheels. He said he couldn't sell a car and lose money and I said well I know you didn't pay even 3000 less than you're selling it for now, he said my car would be worth significantly less next month so I should do the deal now...lol... Just shoot down everything they say and make them go to their manager's office ten times. You have all the power. I'm in sales and I work hard to get new business and you only get the best deal by being a PITA. If the dealer can make the deal, they will. Especially in this economy.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

This was 2 years ago. There was the initial sales guy involved, his supervisor, his manager, and finally the finance guy came over, too All in all, I liked what I did. I don't feel bad at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Re-checked the car fax for the one I saw yesterday. It was a "commercial vehicle" and then registered as a taxi in Brooklyn, NY. Uhm... city miles by people who don't give a crap about the car + god knows how many people drove it. Not a fan.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 AM

2006 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by V8OrDeath
... It'll be the new daily driver - I'm in sales so I drive a lot. I read somewhere that the 04s are a bit more prone to issues than the 2005s so that's the reason I'm looking at this model - I'd rather get the newer ones of course but the budget I have in mind (16-18K) doesn't allow it.
Since you drive a lot, ever thought about an e320 cdi? Excellent gas mileage, the torque is almost same as a v8. Thought you might consider... Good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by anewbie
Since you drive a lot, ever thought about an e320 cdi? Excellent gas mileage, the torque is almost same as a v8. Thought you might consider... Good luck!
Thanks! I did yes but the ones I found so far were too highly priced and the car isn't available in 4-Matic which would be preferred as I already have a RWD car plus as my user name suggests I'm a big fan of V8 engines.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Where did you so this? MB of SD or the Esco dealer?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Yeah the 06s are out of my range right now. Nice car though

Btw what would a couple of replacement rims cost?

??? If you are talking about the 19s that i got....it ran me $1040 for the rims. Tires another $600 from Tirerack and $100 to have Sears install them.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by werewolf34
Where did you so this? MB of SD or the Esco dealer?
MB of SD and of Esco are crocks :-) They are owned by Penske. Nope I did this at Mossey Toyota. Drove by saw it was looking closer around the car. The young and enthusiastic sales guy approached and it was his worst day of selling I believe as he didn't know what will happen to him with me being a cheap *** German hahah...
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Thanks! I did yes but the ones I found so far were too highly priced and the car isn't available in 4-Matic which would be preferred as I already have a RWD car plus as my user name suggests I'm a big fan of V8 engines.
V8's are nice but consider what you said: You will drive a lot and gas prices certainly won't decline. My Mom has a CDI at home in Germany and she drives nearly 700 miles with one full tank and she is not one of the slow ones on the road...
Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Re-checked the car fax for the one I saw yesterday. It was a "commercial vehicle" and then registered as a taxi in Brooklyn, NY. Uhm... city miles by people who don't give a crap about the car + god knows how many people drove it. Not a fan.
You can bet the suspension was worked over pretty well, but Livery cars are maintined well (although with quick turnaround times) so as to keep them dependably on the road. Even so, I wouldnt want an ex Livery car.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Yeah especially the S4... just got a feeling it's a bit too "sporty" for a DD and probably on a small side as well. 300 eh? Yeah actually the V6s with the five-speed had the same transmission as the V8s and that transmission can take a beating like few others. 500 RWHP not problem at all for a stock NAG1/WA580. The LX cars are excellent and if I didn't have one already, I'd get one. Used they are one of the best values on the road, especially with the HEMIs.
Yeah, I was actually looking at an 05 S4 at the MB dealer I bought my car from. Besides being small (and the nasty zeneti rims on the car), it was the gas mileage that made me say wtf. lol, an E55 got better mileage than the S4.

Actually my 300 limited was an 05 and came with non-tip 4 speed (I think they added that in 06 or 07). The tranny on my car actually sucked (that's what we get for buying the car the 1st day it comes out ). When I would make a u-turn or really sharp left turn, the car would be stuck as if in neutral for a few seconds (not very safe as you can see). They never could figure it out so called lemon lawyer, he took care of everything. The car was great overall though. Easy maintenance, handled well for a big car, very roomy in the back, the dealer was very good to with service and loaners. But man, the 300C's were sooooo much nicer: premium leather, nicer wood, the v8 power.

Ya, like the other guys are saying if you drive a lot the V8 will really add on the cost of fuel. Back when I bought my car (aug 2007), I calculated the difference between 320 and 500 gas I would have to purchase in a month. The difference was almost $100 per month with the amount of driving I do (a little over 15K miles a year). Ya, the diesels are pricey due to the whole supply / demand thing, so maybe a petrol 320 would be something to look at. Since your getting 4matic you wont get the 7 speed tranny on the 500 that the RWDs do, so no added benefit for highway driving in regards to mpg.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

What is the advantage of a 4MATIC anyways?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Gas is paid for by the company so getting 21 mpg highway or 28 doesn't matter to me. A good set of winter tires on an RWD is very close to having AWD except for taking off but like I said, I have that already and want something different plus the thought of AWD appeals to me since I have to drive all over the Northeast which sometimes brings me into snow-country in CT and upstate NY during the wintertime.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking at the W211