E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E350 Purchase - Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009 | 10:42 PM

E350
2008 E350 Purchase - Advice?

I am contemplating purchasing a 2008 E350, 20K miles, Sport Package as a MB Certified. This would be my first MB (currently drive a 2002 BMW 530i), so I'm looking for a view of common problems, annual costs, etc that I might hit in the MB.

This is certified, so I'm reasonably confident that I won't have too much out of pocket costs for at least the remaining 2 years on the factory warranty and then 2 of certified warranty, but I'm currently spending 1-3K/year on my BMW, and want to avoid spending too much time in the shop, regardless of cost.

Are there common electrical problems, alignment issues, tire wear that often need to get fixed? Note that my view is a Lexus might be better from a reliability perspective, I'm willing to pay more and put up with something that has more of a sole. BMWs are great - but I loathe the current Banglers and don't want to spend 60K on the new 535 (although gorgeous).

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 12-14-2009 | 08:29 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mferris
I am contemplating purchasing a 2008 E350, 20K miles, Sport Package as a MB Certified. This would be my first MB (currently drive a 2002 BMW 530i), so I'm looking for a view of common problems, annual costs, etc that I might hit in the MB.

This is certified, so I'm reasonably confident that I won't have too much out of pocket costs for at least the remaining 2 years on the factory warranty and then 2 of certified warranty, but I'm currently spending 1-3K/year on my BMW, and want to avoid spending too much time in the shop, regardless of cost.

Are there common electrical problems, alignment issues, tire wear that often need to get fixed? Note that my view is a Lexus might be better from a reliability perspective, I'm willing to pay more and put up with something that has more of a sole. BMWs are great - but I loathe the current Banglers and don't want to spend 60K on the new 535 (although gorgeous).

MB is not a good compromise between a Lexus and a BMW IMO. Go look at an Infiniti m35 if this is your aim. But drive them all and listen to your instincts.

2008 is a recent yr and has the facelifted e-class body. MB warranty should take care of you for the next 4 yrs. I guess it depends on how long you keep your cars.

Scheduled services run 150-500 for service A and Bs (alternating every 10k miles or so) with oil changes in between. If you're getting the sport, you're getting staggered wheels so you won't get as much life out of the tires. Also brakes wear pretty quick.

I'm not sure that running costs will be lower but the electrical gremlins are not much of an issue with the warranties
Old 12-14-2009 | 09:38 PM

E350
Originally Posted by werewolf34
MB is not a good compromise between a Lexus and a BMW IMO. Go look at an Infiniti m35 if this is your aim. But drive them all and listen to your instincts.

2008 is a recent yr and has the facelifted e-class body. MB warranty should take care of you for the next 4 yrs. I guess it depends on how long you keep your cars.

Scheduled services run 150-500 for service A and Bs (alternating every 10k miles or so) with oil changes in between. If you're getting the sport, you're getting staggered wheels so you won't get as much life out of the tires. Also brakes wear pretty quick.

I'm not sure that running costs will be lower but the electrical gremlins are not much of an issue with the warranties
Thanks. I think I'd classify a MB and then a Porsche as part of my "bucket list". I've not been successful in finding any '09's new in any part of the country - so I now have to decide on an 20K mile '08 or not at this point. 55K for a new car isn't as appealing as it used to be.

Service doesn't sound too out of range for a car. I do about 10K miles a year so 500/year (not inc tires/brakes) sound lovely compared to my 1-2K today. Although I'm completely ignoring depreciation. I have 8 years on my current car, and still like getting in it. If I'm fortunate, having this for 4 years would be my goal (at least).
Old 12-14-2009 | 11:31 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Thanks. I think I'd classify a MB and then a Porsche as part of my "bucket list". I've not been successful in finding any '09's new in any part of the country - so I now have to decide on an 20K mile '08 or not at this point. 55K for a new car isn't as appealing as it used to be.

Service doesn't sound too out of range for a car. I do about 10K miles a year so 500/year (not inc tires/brakes) sound lovely compared to my 1-2K today. Although I'm completely ignoring depreciation. I have 8 years on my current car, and still like getting in it. If I'm fortunate, having this for 4 years would be my goal (at least).
I hear you on the 55k sticker shock. I would take a good hard look on e-class depreciation. This class of vehicle seems to get hit pretty hard.

As for the driving angle, I bought an e-class b/c of safety and highway cruising. I've never been in a more stable high-speed cruiser--it does inspire a lot of confidence. It's been as good as advertised on build quality.

But when I'm rationale the Japanese options pencil quite well. Consider a GS350 or m35 if you shopping the e350. You're spoiled for choice; this is a great vehicle segment
Old 12-15-2009 | 08:45 PM

1995 S280 5-speed

What are they selling it for? I have an '07 Sport with similar miles I'm tring to sell. May even give you a good price for your BMW.