E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Air suspension failure - expensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Siver 94 E320 coupe
the video is helpful

Originally Posted by wjcandee
Fascinating. I don't know if you saw the Arnott video, but they have you take the whole car apart to get that old reservoir out, reassemble just about everything, then just pop their product in before putting the tire back on. It never occurred to me that it would be okay to leave in the old reservoir. That's real Shade Tree Mechanic thinking, in a good way!

The problem with Airmatic was that the rear bags are relatively-inexpensive but it takes a zillion dollars of labor to remove and replace them. The front struts are easy to change, but the parts are expensive as crap. You have just addressed the major issue with the rear bags, provided, of course, that you use the excellent Arnott solution.
I did see the video, it actually delayed me a couple of weeks thinking about how much work it will be, until I figured out that was all for removing the reservoir. I had a quote from a local decent shop for 1219$ to do both including the parts. Im so glad I saved some $$
Old 03-31-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by moooooooon8
I did see the video, it actually delayed me a couple of weeks thinking about how much work it will be, until I figured out that was all for removing the reservoir. I had a quote from a local decent shop for 1219$ to do both including the parts. Im so glad I saved some $$
I exchanged emails with Arnott regarding your approach. They said it's absolutely fine to leave the old reservoirs in place, saving poop loads of labor. They are revising their installation instructions and video. Seriously.

I would not however pull the hose without depressurizing the system first.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:50 PM

a Siver 94 E320 coupe
I exchanged emails with Arnott regarding your approach. They said it's absolutely fine to leave the old reservoirs in place, saving poop loads of labor. They are revising their installation instructions and video. Seriously.

I would not however pull the hose without depressurizing the system first.
That's a good idea, I never thought about contacting them regarding the video. 👍

And, if you are talking about electronically depressurizing the airbags, then I don't know where to start. But I depressurized it by disconnecting the hose coming from the reservoir.

Last edited by moooooooon8; 04-05-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:03 PM

2016 S550 AMG Sedan, 2006 E500 4matic - airmatic (retired)
I had a left front strut air leak. I was not interested in MB dealer cost of $2000. I have a 4matic (AWD). Strut came out easy enough because I could collapse it. Replacement strut was 2.5 inches longer and could not collapse it. I called the rebuild shop (RMT) and they explained that you could get it in without collapsing it. Sure enough it's in and running like new. By the way I had to remove mine first and overnight it to Rebuild Master Tech in Florida ($420 with overnight delivery both ways) because there are no cores left anymore. Arnott wanted 3 weeks at their facility (no thanks.) RMT received it noon Wednesday and had it back in the box noon Thursday. They could not have been more helpful. They will get the right side when it goes. Also MB is only selling rebuilts and they are all located in Germany (WTF!)
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy1956
I had a left front strut air leak. I was not interested in MB dealer cost of $2000. I have a 4matic (AWD). Strut came out easy enough because I could collapse it. Replacement strut was 2.5 inches longer and could not collapse it. I called the rebuild shop (RMT) and they explained that you could get it in without collapsing it. Sure enough it's in and running like new. By the way I had to remove mine first and overnight it to Rebuild Master Tech in Florida ($420 with overnight delivery both ways) because there are no cores left anymore. Arnott wanted 3 weeks at their facility (no thanks.) RMT received it noon Wednesday and had it back in the box noon Thursday. They could not have been more helpful. They will get the right side when it goes. Also MB is only selling rebuilts and they are all located in Germany (WTF!)
I don't know what's so great about this. The Arnott assembly is available from partsgeek.com for $397, shipped directly to you. I don't see the benefit of getting your old part back, when there is a perfectly good Arnott-rebuilt one sitting on the shelf all ready to be installed. You paid more to wait longer, just to get your own part back.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM

I don't know what's so great about this. The Arnott assembly is available from partsgeek.com for $397, shipped directly to you. I don't see the benefit of getting your old part back, when there is a perfectly good Arnott-rebuilt one sitting on the shelf all ready to be installed. You paid more to wait longer, just to get your own part back.

You think it's available from partsgeek until you order it. Arnott has exactly none on the shelf and doesn't expect any to be available for months. This is a 4matic E500. If you want Arnott to rebuild your strut it will take 3 weeks plus shipping (according to Arnott sales dept.) RMT rebuilt my strut in one day. $380 including ground shipping or $420 with overnight shipping both ways. You really shouldn't respond to posts if you haven't checked them out thoroughly.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 PM

I dont, and indeed looked it up on Partsgeek, but I missed the 4matic distinction. Under the circumstances, you did great! Thanks for explaining. I may need this exact service in a few months for my (!!) 4-matic.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 PM

03 Mercedes E500, 74 Vette, 93 Mirage River Racer 111mph. in 12 seconds, 94 Lincoln Mark VIII + NOS
Arnott two weeks ago had no fronts to sell. Was told they were on back order. I bought the spring/shock conversion kit from them $1575.00 delivered. Fronts were a piece of cake, rears OMG... But ride is great, stance is perfect & no worries of being stranded in BFE...
Attached Thumbnails E500 Air suspension failure - expensive?-image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2015, 12:19 AM

A number of folks do have the Arnott front for the 4matic. Pelican, for example, and a slim few amazon retailers. But they are $600+, doubtless bc of the shortage. Also the new original mb parts are available, but for $1400-ish each.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:05 PM

A number of folks do have the Arnott front for the 4matic. Pelican, for example, and a slim few amazon retailers. But they are $600+, doubtless bc of the shortage. Also the new original mb parts are available, but for $1400-ish each.
Better check Pelican stock. I could only find Bilstein and they were out of stock and the MB part at Pelican were in Germany. According to my Dealer (Motorwerks in Barrington, IL) they are rebuilts by MB (and are in Germany) for $1400 not new. My car became undriveable so I was looking for the fastest reasonable part. So far so good with RMT.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM

2004 Mercedes e500 4matic
Are you in the New York area? If so I have a good Indy I would use for this, who is honest and is used to pulling the whole undercarriage to get the rear bag out when it is required. Look at the Arnott video of how to replace the rear bag on the E350. The MB part is two pieces, joined by a hose that runs through the undercarriage so you have to remove the whole undercarriage to get the part out. The Arnott is one piece, so you take the whole car apart to get the old MB part out, then you put it back together, and just before you put the wheel on, you install the Arnott. Holy crap. The next time (which hopefully there won't be), all you do is pull off the wheel and replace the Arnott with another Arnott. I myself wish that I knew about Arnott 5 years ago when I had to replace the rear bag. Did it at the dealer with the MB part. I have since become smarter.

The front strut from Arnott is just a well-remanufactured Bilstein OE one, so for the price it's a no-brainer. The rear one, as mentioned above, is Arnott's own sensible design, which is what Bilstein should have designed in the first place.
wjcandee - you mentioned you had a good indy in the NY area for this type of work. Can you please mention the name/address? I have a 2004 E500 wagon that has this exact problem (rear air leaking out of the suspension when I leave it parked for more than a few days). I would like to be able to bring it to an indy who can replace it with the Arnotts without paying an arm and a leg.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trekker
wjcandee - you mentioned you had a good indy in the NY area for this type of work. Can you please mention the name/address? I have a 2004 E500 wagon that has this exact problem (rear air leaking out of the suspension when I leave it parked for more than a few days). I would like to be able to bring it to an indy who can replace it with the Arnotts without paying an arm and a leg.
Sure. Michael Singh at Cove Tire in Sea Cliff.
516-676-2202. Michael is gone for the day, but Jennifer is there and you can talk pretty intelligently with her. I actually have another airmatic problem that I need him to diagnose, so I will be dropping mine off probably tomorrow morning. Michael actually owns a 2004 E500, with low mileage, lucky guy. But it means that in addition to all his other great qualities, he has real hands-on experience with our particular car.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM

One thing I should also mention is that the NEW Arnott instructions DO NOT require you to pull the whole undercarriage off to get to the reservoir.

Quick history: One of our members mentioned that he had installed the Arnotts himself, and had not removed the old reservoir, which the Arnott does not use. Instead, he had just zip-tied the reservoir hose out of the way and left the reservoir in there, because it was not hurting anything. This obviated the need to remove the undercarriage; putting in the Arnotts would just require removing the wheel and not much more.

Because I was anticipating having Michael do this repair, I emailed Arnott and asked them whether there was anything wrong with how our member did it. They sent back an email in which they said that their technical people had looked into it, and that there was no issue with doing it that way. In fact, they said that they would be revising their written and video instructions to make that the recommended way to install their product, and they have (at least the written ones that they post on their web site).

So that's how mine were installed, and I have had no problems. I wouldn't expect to have any, because the reservoir is superfluous.

A couple of folks here have posted to say that they go through the whole process of removing the reservoir anyway, because it's so easy to remove the undercarriage when you are such experts as they are. However, what they don't say is that they also earn the book labor charge for doing so. So while it is no big deal to them to do, it's a big deal in the price.
The following users liked this post:
Trekker (05-24-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 PM

2004 E500
Air strut replacement

I have an 04 e500 and my front driver side air bag has a fast leak. My rear driver side has a slow leak. Would it be easier to replace all 4 with regular shocks? If so where would i find them for a decent price. I also live in hawaii so its hard to find parts out here for this model
Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Noles12B
I have an 04 e500 and my front driver side air bag has a fast leak. My rear driver side has a slow leak. Would it be easier to replace all 4 with regular shocks? If so where would i find them for a decent price. I also live in hawaii so its hard to find parts out here for this model
Replacing the front strut is easy.

Is it a 4matic or not? If it's the base model, partsgeek.com has the Arnott-remanufactured Mercedes-made OE front strut (which is excellent and anybody with a brain uses) for about $400 with free shipping. The 4-matic ones are in shorter supply, but can be found.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Replacing the rear bag with an OE bag is a PITA and requires lots of labor because you also have to remove the associated reservoir, that you have to remove the undercarriage to fish out. However, the Arnott rear bag solution (which I have and love) doesn't use a reservoir, so it is extremely-easy for a mechanic to replace. Shouldn't take more than an hour. However, you should replace both sides to use the Arnott rear bags, because they are a slightly-different design. The front strut you can replace one at a time, because the Arnott is just a remanufactured Mercedes strut.

Before you start pulling parts, make sure you have checked all the connections, as well as the hoses, for leaks. A slow leak or fast leak in the unit itself is possible, but it's also possible that there is a leak in a hose, or at a connection block or that a wire is broken or frayed to the unit or to a sensor, and there is nothing wrong with the strut or bag itself. I replaced my bags with Arnotts because the dealer told me that there was a leak in the right rear air spring. There wasn't, as it turned out. But the new bags ride soooooo much better than the old system; I guess the old bags were worn out.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 AM

2003 E500
I have a 2003 E500 and the passenger side air strut went out. I took it to the MB dealership (because I'm from out of state) and couldn't make it to my regular mechanic. I got Arnott struts and took them to the dealership for installation but when i got they're my car was sitting right in the front like the struts were fine. The mechanic mentioned that they installed some kind of rubber gaskets just so they could move it around without scraping the car. Is there any truth to this? I'm not trying to get played by MB because they will end up giving me a brand new E500 if that's the case..
Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
never heard of it, get part numbers and research part numbers.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM

2004 Mercedes e500 4matic
Sure. Michael Singh at Cove Tire in Sea Cliff.
516-676-2202. Michael is gone for the day, but Jennifer is there and you can talk pretty intelligently with her. I actually have another airmatic problem that I need him to diagnose, so I will be dropping mine off probably tomorrow morning. Michael actually owns a 2004 E500, with low mileage, lucky guy. But it means that in addition to all his other great qualities, he has real hands-on experience with our particular car.
wjcandee, thanks for the above, I got busy but finally really want to get this work done. Do you know if your indy above will use parts that I provide if I buy it online or is it not worth it? should I just let them buy the Arnott part that I want?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Latest observation, I hadsmall leak in wagon suspension, that I track to deteriorated air tubing right above the T at rear axle. Since it was about 5" from the end, I was able to pull the slack and reinsert the original tubing short.
But that is indication that the tubings on those cars go and now I wonder how many owners paid for bags replacement, when couple dollars worth of tubing was the problem.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:31 AM

e500 2005
i saw a 2005 e500 for sale 170kmiles 4500 needs air struts springs etc is this a good buy
Old 10-16-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pitson1
i saw a 2005 e500 for sale 170kmiles 4500 needs air struts springs etc is this a good buy
Let's see.

Air Springs/Struts - I assume you would go with Arnotts. Fronts will run about 700-900. Rear air springs 600-800? Then the rear strut most likely needs to be replaced. About 400 each, so 800. So total just for parts = $2400 roughly.

Then the other items you should be worried about, especially 2005 models with SBC.

SBC Brake controller using is $1000 for the part.

Don't forget all of the ball joints, control arms, outer tie rods, and sway bar links. Let's say another 600-800 for these parts.

Then other things that might fail with that kind of mileage. The bearing on the AC clutch assembly. Catalytic converter (expensive!!), water pump, tensioner.

You sure you want to buy this car? Because I think you would easily spend another $4500 just to fix items.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes E 320 CDI Avangarde est 2004 2000
Originally Posted by Ser05E500
Has anyone used arnott shocks on their car??
I bought Arnott rear Air Springs and Compressor had MB fit them no problems with suspension since.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 PM

E63amg
Originally Posted by daminchi
I have all front and rear air shock for sale if anyones looking.
is it same as e63 amg?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E320
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
You don't have to get the rebuilt air shocks from eBay............here's the Website for the Arnott firm that refurbishes and sells FRONT airshocks (not rear) directly for $500 ($400 with core return) with Lifetime Warranty. Mine haven't gone out yet but will probably order these when they fail unless my MB Dealer will give me new ones for near the same price..........but they don't warrant them with a Lifetime Warranty either! http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...18_pid127.html Anyone tried these and if so, what was the labor to do it.............not sure whether my MB Dealer would installed rebuilt units but there are indepentent shops that should be willing to do it?
I replaced my right front strut myself. As long as you have the correct tools, it can be done in a couple hours. Pretty simple. I will say this, if your upper control arm/ball joints look like they need to be replaced any time soon, my suggestion is to do it while you are replacing the strut. Makes it way easier. And normally if you are going to replace one strut, you may as well do the other one.

Good luck, IG
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E320
Originally Posted by amgthinker
OK thanks
I would check your air ride compressor first. If the rear is sagging, may not be putting out enough pressure to raise the rear. They make rebuild kits for them online for less than $20. Just a suggestion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E500 Air suspension failure - expensive?