E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Passenger side front spring hanging from strut!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Passenger side front spring hanging from strut!

Hey, i was changing my tires and when i took them off i inspected the suspension. I was about to crap my pants when i saw that the spring on the passenger side strut was collapsed in and was only hanging by a thread. It's as if it stretched out and fell off half of the mounting surface. I took the car to a repair shop they told me it is common, i kinda don't believe they made struts to come apart like that. Anybody ever replace them themselves? They said i might as well replace both which i agree cause ride height may not be quite the same. it also needs new ball joints... I have the tools to work on it but never done it on a benz and don't know if i'll have alignment problems any info would be helpful
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E240
Umm, same sort of problem different part of the world, I'm currently looking for parts here in Perth Australia, and i'm comming up against all sorts of problems getting my hands on a strut. From the looks of it, you would have to compress the spring in order to remove the strut ( after undoing the screws) but i supose compressing the spring wont be a problem in your case.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
I have a complete suspension from a 2006 E350 for sale in the classifieds under the suspension and braking section. If you're interested, please let me know. I'm working from my phone right now so I'll send you a PM with the link when I am able.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,429 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
I have the tools to work on it but never done it on a benz and don't know if i'll have alignment problems any info would be helpful
Remove several nuts, detach strut from control arm, PM email address and I will forward WIS. MB recommends replacing both sides if @ 50000 or over. Only concern would be to check headlamp adjustment afterward.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Hey, i bit the bullet and got it done i didn't want to risk it bursting while i was putting a compressor on it. Went to a reputable repair shop that replaced both sides with oem parts and the technician said he was scared cause he had to put a screw type compressor on it, wouldn't fit on the shop press. Next time hopefully this won't happen but the spring deformed and was about to fall off. I gotta do some balljoints too but i ordered a tool from ebay to do it... i'll post pics on replacing the ball joints... That is not something i ever want to happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
Hey, i bit the bullet and got it done i didn't want to risk it bursting while i was putting a compressor on it. Went to a reputable repair shop that replaced both sides with oem parts and the technician said he was scared cause he had to put a screw type compressor on it, wouldn't fit on the shop press. Next time hopefully this won't happen but the spring deformed and was about to fall off. I gotta do some balljoints too but i ordered a tool from ebay to do it... i'll post pics on replacing the ball joints... That is not something i ever want to happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
It would be great if you have any pics of the failure and your install of ball joint.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM

yer right vettdvr i forgot to take pics of it!!! I'll try and describe it as good as i can. What happened was at the bottom of the spring where it sits on the perch, the spring wasn't flush on the perch, it was sagging so bad on one side that it wasn't centered and it was pushing against the shock causing a rubbing noise going over bumps, and only half a turn of the spring was holding up the car. The perch was intact but the spring was deformed. What boggles my mind is that this is supposedly common. If it is mercedes has a hell of a lawsuit coming. If it slipped off of the perch, the car would've hit the ground and slid off the wheel and caused a massive accident. That is downright dangerous if it is common.

when i do the joints there'll be tons of pics!!!