E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Looking to buy a new 07 or 08 E350 - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Iridium Silver E350 4matic (P2, Pano)
Looking to buy a new 07 or 08 E350 - Thoughts?

Hi all, I curretly drive a 2002 C240 I have had for about 5 years and I am looking to upgrade to an E class. I have my eyes set on the E350 for gas mileage over performance. I am also looking at the 07 or 08 models as they seems to be the most reliable as well as having the slight makeover.

My questions are:

1) What are the difference between the 4matic and the RWD? Other than the obvious. I live in the midwest which means the four wheel drive would be a nice option, but by no means mandatory. So would I be paying more and sacraficing gas mileage for only a slight benefit the few times it substantially snows? Also, what is the difference between the 5 speed and 7 speed transmission. I have heard some problems associted with the 7.

2) I want a car with the P2 package as the keyless go and Xenon lights appeal to me. Any thoughts on this?

3) Any other thoughts on this car? It seems like MB worked out a lot of the early problems and the perception is that this is a good car.

Thanks for any comments. I am just now beginning my search and will be buying the car through a wholesale auction as my dad is a dealer. (Would be an off-lease from MB Financial.) I plan to purchase a car with warranty remaining.

- Bill -
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My 07 E550 RWD w/ P2 has been a joy to own & drive. The 7 speed trans is known for an occaisional harsh, non Mercedes-like downshift from 2 to 1 when coming to a slow stop... most often when cold. ...but there are no failure problems. Other than the downshift issue it is silky smooth.

I've had NO Problems with my car. My 04 was my worst nightmare.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Bill RHIT
Hi all, I curretly drive a 2002 C240 I have had for about 5 years and I am looking to upgrade to an E class. I have my eyes set on the E350 for gas mileage over performance. I am also looking at the 07 or 08 models as they seems to be the most reliable as well as having the slight makeover.

My questions are:

1) What are the difference between the 4matic and the RWD? Other than the obvious. I live in the midwest which means the four wheel drive would be a nice option, but by no means mandatory. So would I be paying more and sacraficing gas mileage for only a slight benefit the few times it substantially snows? Also, what is the difference between the 5 speed and 7 speed transmission. I have heard some problems associted with the 7.

2) I want a car with the P2 package as the keyless go and Xenon lights appeal to me. Any thoughts on this?

3) Any other thoughts on this car? It seems like MB worked out a lot of the early problems and the perception is that this is a good car.

Thanks for any comments. I am just now beginning my search and will be buying the car through a wholesale auction as my dad is a dealer. (Would be an off-lease from MB Financial.) I plan to purchase a car with warranty remaining.

- Bill -
I have an 07' E350 with the 4MATIC. Also live in the midwest. There is definitely a sacrifice on gas mileage over the RWD. But we just got hammered with snow the past two nights and I sliced right through it like a hot knife through butter. Personally I want this peace of mind. I also do very well in the rain for which the AWD helps a lot, too. Friend of mine has RWD S550 and he constantly complains about hydroplaning...granted this has a lot to do with the tires he has. But I still think the RWD v. AWD plays a role.

Important. I think MB puts crap stock wheels on these cars even though they say they are rated A/S performance (typically Conti's or the MXM4 Michelins). I just put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on...they are amazing and cheaper than the MXM4's I had previously. Extremely quiet, too. I have noticed a 2 mpg drop in gas mileage but really don't care. The ride is smooth, quiet, safe. And I can still have a lot of fun with them. Have only had them 2k miles. So will report more later.

Can guarantee -> get caught in the snow in the RWD with bad tires and you'll be all over the place. If you have a second car use it; then the RWD option may have a slight advantage with regard to gas mileage. (Knock on wood) -> haven't heard anyone having significant problems with the 5-speed gearbox mated to AWD 4MATIC. Seems to be a very good tranny.

One other thought compeltely unrelated. And I am constantly on this bandwagon. Take a very clsoe look at the nav screen before buying any used MB. They are very hard to clean, most people don't know how to. They scratch very easily. And this goes unnoticed when the car is purcashed. Then it CANNOT be fixed. Is a huge eyesore. Typical dealers try their trickery and say it can. Then the buyer is totally screwed. Only way to fix is to replace the whole unit. Which costs more than the t-case for the AWD system. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
I also came from a C240 (mine was a 2005) and the difference is night and day between the two cars. I liked driving the C240 but driving the E-Class is driving on a different level. You'll love it much more I promise.

I live in the North East and I would not consider having a car without 4matic. Just gives me a piece of mind when the weather catches up with me. It's awesome in the few snow storms we have here and it proved itself quote useful in the rain also when you feel you need to drive in a spiritted way. The gas mileage does suffer but its not that bad. My best range with the 4matic was 468 miles on a single tank with an MPG of 24.2. All highway with the cruise control set at 80mph and some back road driving.

4matic cars only come with 5-spd gearboxes. Haven't had any issues with the gearbox and consider it very smooth. Only downside of the 5-spd box is that at 85mph you will be revving at 3,000rpms. With a 7-spd you would be lower hence consuming less gas but you would not have the 4matic option.

Go for it. Thumbs up for both packages; wish I have this on my current car.

I've have both a 2007 and 2008. Both cars are rock solid and besides the annual oil change and maintenance they don't see the dealer.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM

A few toys & 07' E350 4matic w/AMG sport packg.
The E350 4matic will be real good on gas mileage compared to the E550 4matic. If you NEED 4matic to drive around (a lot of snow, and you ALWAYS need to drive the car) then definitely get a 4matic. The 3.5 packs a pretty decent punch on the performance level, so don't think it's slow. The E550 is pretty ridiculous too though, but suffers with worse MPG.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
My car has the 5 speed and i love it. have had loaners with the 7 speed and had an 07 c230 with the 7 speed and i can't stand it. I had a GLK loaner once and every time the thing went from 2 to 1 it would just throw me back. Left it in C after that. I love the 5 speed cause you can choose the gears 1 by 1 instead of the 7 speed just picking the lowest gear for that speed (i.e. gear 7 to gear 3)

07+ cars are way better off in quality. P2 is nice. Not a fan of keylessgo but want HIDs. If you can find a car with leather I'd look for that since leather is not standard on 350.

If you get warranty i'd go with Starmark from MB. I bought my car CPO and it paid for itself when my tranny went out completely due to glycol contamination (common problem on 03 and some 04 cars).
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Master - love those AMG rims!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by NickR41
Master - love those AMG rims!
Haha thanks! Me too! love them. They are the non-staggered versions since I'm AWD. My car has the AMG sport package which included those along with the lowered sport suspension.

The 7-speed isn't bad. I had a C300 4matic loaner, and I loved that car.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I am looking forward to the upgrade. I also meant to mention that I intend to get the sport package as I love those wheels. I have heard this leads to increased tire wear? If so, not too much of a concern for me, I can't expect everything!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I am looking forward to the upgrade. I also meant to mention that I intend to get the sport package as I love those wheels. I have heard this leads to increased tire wear? If so, not too much of a concern for me, I can't expect everything!
Just keep an eye out on the treadwear rating on the tires. 300AA is usually a 15k-20k mile tire!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 AM

'14 Audi S4
I may be restating the obvious but definitely I'd go for the P2. I love not ever having to take my key out of my pocket. The bi-xenons and cornering lights are great too (until I have to replace a bulb). And I'd say purchase an extended warranty if you can, since something will probably go bad in the next few years.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 AM

09 E320 Bluetec
If you're concerned about mileage and don't need 4matic, maybe you ought to look at the Bluetecs or CDIs?

It's not a 550, but mine is quick and I get over 40 mpg on the highway!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
"Increased tire wear" comes from the fact that you can not rotate the tires because the wheels & tires are different sizes front to back.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM

2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I had both cars, 2007 and 2008 and they were flawless. The premium package is nice to have, 4Matic is a must for me, because I get that money back on trade-in and I can tell you, yes it helps in winter weather, but it is great on wet roads too. A must for me.

I don't remember precisely, I think they dropped the B Pillar air vents in 2008 and the windows seem to fog up easily, had never experienced that before. Especially in wet weather conditions.

Both cars are great, had I known about the 2010 E Class what I know now, I would have kept my old E-Class. It seems that upgrades are not necessarily an improvement overall. It was for many years.

Jorg
Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by skiahh
If you're concerned about mileage and don't need 4matic, maybe you ought to look at the Bluetecs or CDIs?

It's not a 550, but mine is quick and I get over 40 mpg on the highway!
I am so jealous. That is great mileage! I heard these are amazing cars. But have always been a little scared of diesels and the repair costs. But then again I own a Benz. Diesel or gas - expensive.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Search is over.

Search is over. Bought 08 E350 4 Matic w/ P2 and Pano.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post3916916
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM

05 E500
Congrats!