E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 -03 Comand problem

Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I agree it is not designed or intended to be utilized or discovered by an end-user. However, after it is erased it will generally (I have not witnessed one personally that has refused to) enter Bootloader mode to install and rebuild the flash memory inside the COMAND to an operational state.

As for flash memory, I feel that Harman/Becker has installed decent quality flash memory in their COMANDs; SSDs were first deployed with extreme caution. Now they are used as Enterprise SAN storage and have proved to be a more reliable solution than spindles. USB flash drives vary by brand, but they also can successfully serve as a Windows-To-Go disk with many reads and writes before the bit flipping takes them out. Inexpensive USB flash drives that are given away at trade shows are a different story

I feel if this is an isolated incident and the flash needs to be written to one time, and the COMAND is already inoperative, there is virtually no risk in using a Service Update CD in an attempt to repair it.

You have to admit though, Engineering Mode was designed by the Engineers who designed the products, but it did keep you and I out of those menus and choosing options we didn't know exactly the outcome of and taking a chance. That is how we learn!

I intentionally bricked a W211 COMAND during the Service Update process in the middle by cutting the power, forcing it into Bootloader mode. Bootloader mode does not have the checksum, file verification, and CRC values that have to be met before writing the data to flash, so I took a US COMAND with DVD optics, bricked it, and used an ECE Service Update CD to see what the outcome would be. Sure enough, the 5-3-7 code presented W211 ECE and W211 US variant. I selected ECE and restarted the COMAND and inserted a DVD and was presented with a DVD Video and Compact Disc Digital Audio logos were displayed. The DVD started playing the audio without error, however the screen remained black. My intention was to confirm that the US COMANDs with DVD optics indeed did not have an MPEG hardware decoder to view video, and that confirmed the fact. It also confirmed the US COMAND would receive and display RDS, TA, and all the other ECE features - the only exceptions was the MPEG video.

After my experiment, I bricked it again so it would accept the US firmware, and it did so successfully, and worked flawlessly as a US COMAND as it was designed to be. I learn my doing this type of stuff and have uncovered some *very* interesting information in the process, and surprisingly have permanently bricked virtually zero modules/control units (so far!)
Also - I hope this goes without saying unless you are one to tinker on electronics, and Mercedes-Benz vehicles in particular, do not play around with these menus. They can and will cause you problems (i.e. changing your National Version from ECE to US on the newer COMANDs like in a 204 a few times, not being aware the DVD Region Code also changes, and is limited to 5 total changes and then it is locked. The factory settings count as one, so you have 4 remaining changes. I have seen people get it stuck permanently to a country that change the radio station frequency increments, DVD Region Code, add MW in addition to AM/FM, remove Sirius and Weatherband, lose the navigation maps on the HDD, and probably things I am leaving out, and it is locked in this condition unless you know the code to reset the DVD Region Code counter back to 5 changes, and not many people know that. I certainly would not take these risks on my daily driver that I depended on, or didn't have spare parts the tinker with. Mackhack's warning is well written.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Audio 50

Hello guys,
New to forum but I've own my 2003 E320 Mercedes for a year already and when I disconnected batteries to change fuel filter assembly a couple of days ago and then reconnected them I got "Insert software update CD" too. I don't have the NAV unit I have what I've learned through this forum to be the Audio 50 (cassette). I didn't mess with engineering mode or any high tech menu, just disconnected and connected batteries
can anyone help please?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Try updating as screen suggests shop 211589122200, see attached bulletin for details.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
82.62_226c.pdf (62.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
I will call dealership to see if they can get me that CD thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by blkout25
I will call dealership to see if they can get me that CD thanks!
If not PM me.
The following users liked this post:
blkout25 (04-25-2019)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I agree it is not designed or intended to be utilized or discovered by an end-user. However, after it is erased it will generally (I have not witnessed one personally that has refused to) enter Bootloader mode to install and rebuild the flash memory inside the COMAND to an operational state.

As for flash memory, I feel that Harman/Becker has installed decent quality flash memory in their COMANDs; SSDs were first deployed with extreme caution. Now they are used as Enterprise SAN storage and have proved to be a more reliable solution than spindles. USB flash drives vary by brand, but they also can successfully serve as a Windows-To-Go disk with many reads and writes before the bit flipping takes them out. Inexpensive USB flash drives that are given away at trade shows are a different story

I feel if this is an isolated incident and the flash needs to be written to one time, and the COMAND is already inoperative, there is virtually no risk in using a Service Update CD in an attempt to repair it.

You have to admit though, Engineering Mode was designed by the Engineers who designed the products, but it didn't keep you and I out of those menus and choosing options we didn't know exactly the outcome of and taking a chance. That is how we learn!

I intentionally bricked a W211 COMAND during the Service Update process in the middle by cutting the power, forcing it into Bootloader mode. Bootloader mode does not have the checksum, file verification, and CRC values that have to be met before writing the data to flash, so I took a US COMAND with DVD optics, bricked it, and used an ECE Service Update CD to see what the outcome would be. Sure enough, the 5-3-7 code presented W211 ECE and W211 US variant. I selected ECE and restarted the COMAND and inserted a DVD and was presented with a DVD Video and Compact Disc Digital Audio logos were displayed. The DVD started playing the audio without error, however the screen remained black. My intention was to confirm that the US COMANDs with DVD optics indeed did not have an MPEG hardware decoder to view video, and that confirmed the fact. It also confirmed the US COMAND would receive and display RDS, TA, and all the other ECE features - the only exceptions was the MPEG video.

After my experiment, I bricked it again so it would accept the US firmware, and it did so successfully, and worked flawlessly as a US COMAND as it was designed to be. I learn my doing this type of stuff and have uncovered some *very* interesting information in the process, and surprisingly have permanently bricked virtually zero modules/control units (so far!)
hi Everyone.

How can I change usa to ece my comand ntg1
I install usa firmware to my ece comand (big mistake)