E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Red "Brake- visit workshop" message comes on when I am at a stop.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red "Brake- visit workshop" message comes on when I am at a stop.

Looking for some help... I have a '03 E320 (211), when I am at a stop and am applying full pressure on the brake I get this red "Brake" message and the gears shift. Everytime this happens I have to pull over, turn off the car, pump the brakes a couple of times for the message to go away. The car then runs normal, slows down normal, comes to a stop normally, its when I am at a complete stop and pressing the brakes for more than 10 seconds that this occurs. When I turn off the car and pump the brakes there is no resistance on the pedal, after a couple of pumps the brakes seem normal.. Am I in for an expensive repair??
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
This could be an extremely dangerous failure of the SBC system which is warranted for 10 years. Do not drive the car. Go directly to the dealer service dept.

If SBC fails you will have no brakes to stop in time with.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Exactly what does the message say?

If it says something like Brake warning Stop CAR NOW. You have a total SBC brake system failure.

If you have other warnings it could be as simple as getting time to replace pads or pads worn to minimum thickness. It might even be low fluid so you will have to tell us exactly what the message states.

WARNING if it is SBC and you continue driving you are at serious risk of an accident due to brake failure. Reading these messages correctly on brakes is very important.

IF YOU HAVE TOTAL SBC FAILURE PARK THE CAR, CALL A FLAT BED TOW TRUCK!