E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sufficent Space for Passengers in back of E500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sufficent Space for Passengers in back of E500?

And another thing i realized when i went to my local Mb dealer to check out E500 which i will be placing an order for soon. That the room for pasangers in the rear is it sufficent? I mean currently i lease a 2000 Toyota Avalon and it looked like E500 didn't have *** much room as Avalon but maybe the the driver and the front pasanger seat was too far back .... well just let me know about the rear space for the passangers in the back... is it sufficent or what?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Sufficent Space for Passengers in back of E500?

Originally posted by nyckillaseal
And another thing i realized when i went to my local Mb dealer to check out E500 which i will be placing an order for soon. That the room for pasangers in the rear is it sufficent? I mean currently i lease a 2000 Toyota Avalon and it looked like E500 didn't have *** much room as Avalon but maybe the the driver and the front pasanger seat was too far back .... well just let me know about the rear space for the passangers in the back... is it sufficent or what?
well, an avalon probably does have more room, that is a large entry level luxury car. an e500 is more sporty, i would compare it to a 5 series, or jaguar, between those three, the jaguar i believe has more room, but it sure doesnt like it. i think MB did a good job with the rear, it can be bigger, but it isnt small
Old 03-16-2003, 04:40 PM

2012 CLS63
I vote insufficient on this issue. MB for some reason thought it was more important to increase the trunk space of the new E Class, which decreased the rear passanger leg and shoulder room substantially.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

ya i agree they should have left more room for the passengers in rear than the trunk space.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:31 PM

W211
There really isn't any comparison in terms of space with the Avalon-- The E has noticeably less. The Camry even feels more spacious than the E inside.

Nevertheless I think there is sufficient legroom in the back for those 6'2" or less. The last generation E seemed to have more room though. It puzzles me how Mercedes enlarged the exterior dimensions without improving the cabin space.

Last edited by MPTLPTR; 03-16-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:11 PM

Definitely less room

I have to move the front passenger seat way up to let someone sit in the back to strap in my 3 year old in his seat. It is difficult to sit on either the left or the right side otherwise. I also feel the last E was better in this regard. Heck, I had the same problem with legroom in my Jetta...and that darned car is tiny!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:12 PM

2012 CLS63
I don't agree that someone 6"2" or less would be comfortable in the rear seat. I am 6'. I sat in the front seat and adjusted it to the position I would drive. I then got in the back seat. It was very difficult to slide in, and once seated my knees were stuck in the strange cut out spaces in the back of the front seat. This was never the case in my 97 and 2000 EClass cars. The EClass rear seats are now built for kids and dogs, and maybe very short trips for adults. The only way MB can claim the same rear leg room is to take into account the cut out areas in the back of the front seats, which to me is a statement of deception. If you need this space in the back seat, you can not move your legs. Why the cut out was not extended across the whole seat is a mystery. Other things in the car also seemed smaller to me. The hood is now lower, which lowers the dash and the instrument guages are smaller. The storage between the front seats also seems smaller, including the cup holder. Lastly, I thought the move of the driver window controls to the door is a design mistake since there is not enough room to comfortably select and operate the buttons unless you have a small hand and nimble fingers.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:16 PM

I agree

I am 6'1", and when I drive, effectively NO one can sit behind me in the rear seat unless it is a kid or a duck-billed platypus.

But that is a story for another day.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I think it's adequate. If you need more, there's always the S-Class!