E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Steering has become hard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
Steering has become hard

I took my car in after the Low battery sign didn't go away even with a new battery -- The stealer ran diagnostics ($195) and said both batteries are bad (old & the new one) ... But thats not the end of the story

He says there's a valve in the steering pump that hardens the steering as speed increases & provides maximum 'softness' at lowest speeds ... he says I need to change that valve, its faulty - $1000 for the job

BUT WHEN I DROPPED MY CAR OFF MY STEERING WAS JUST FINE!!! I picked the car up thinking it was just a gimmy to make money, but today realized my steering is not silky soft at lowest of speeds as it used to be ... GODDAMMIT ... they damaged my power steering speed-sensing valve and want me to pay to fix it
Old 01-27-2010, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 007_e350
I took my car in after the Low battery sign didn't go away even with a new battery -- The stealer ran diagnostics ($195) and said both batteries are bad (old & the new one) ... But thats not the end of the story

He says there's a valve in the steering pump that hardens the steering as speed increases & provides maximum 'softness' at lowest speeds ... he says I need to change that valve, its faulty - $1000 for the job

BUT WHEN I DROPPED MY CAR OFF MY STEERING WAS JUST FINE!!! I picked the car up thinking it was just a gimmy to make money, but today realized my steering is not silky soft at lowest of speeds as it used to be ... GODDAMMIT ... they damaged my power steering speed-sensing valve and want me to pay to fix it
I don't think they broke it, the solenoid valve is a typical issue. The repair kit costs about 185 Euros for us (part # A2114600984).
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM

X166 gls450 2017
It wasn't there when I dropped it off .. they're fixing this one on the house bro
Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It wasn't there when I dropped it off .. they're fixing this one on the house bro
I'm ok with your interpretation if it makes you feel happy but how do you think they could have broken the solenoid? The only option is to unplug it. No way to break it except removing the good one and replacing it with a broken one.

Is it not done under warranty anyway? I wander if the shop was trying to charge twice for the fix.

Anyway what matters is that you will get the car fixed and can again enjoy the adaptive power steering.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM

X166 gls450 2017
I agree they wont have swapped it out with a faulty one but they played around with the car's electrical system (battery amperage monitoring /charging, alternator output, fuses, current leakage checks) - I expect them to stand behind this or there's no difference going to firestone or a MB dealer

Its just like when I try a DIY and break something else due to ignorance then I end up paying more bcoz of my ignorance (e.g to replace aux batt, I broke the cabin filter housing's right tab; I didnt know how to remove it )--- w/ MB certified techs I aint payin for their blunder...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree they wont have swapped it out with a faulty one but they played around with the car's electrical system (battery amperage monitoring /charging, alternator output, fuses, current leakage checks) - I expect them to stand behind this or there's no difference going to firestone or a MB dealer

Its just like when I try a DIY and break something else due to ignorance then I end up paying more bcoz of my ignorance (e.g to replace aux batt, I broke the cabin filter housing's right tab; I didnt know how to remove it )--- w/ MB certified techs I aint payin for their blunder...
I'm repeating myself but even if they were playing with the car electronics, I cannot see how they could have broken the solenoid valve.

The valve fails often, I'm guessing it was just a coincidence that the failure happened when you brought it to the shop (perhaps even a bit earlier if you did not do tight turns while parking and perhaps did not notice the issue, and it may be a bit intermittent too).

I'm afraid neither of you are able to prove that it happened at the workshop or did not happen. I find the workshop willingness to take care of it a very positive thing. They must be assuming that the failure did not happen at the workshop but they seem to consider the customer perception and take care of it because they understand how the customer interprets the case.

Of course I cannot see the details from my computer, never know if they really screwed it up.