Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 04:19 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 320 Cab
Back Seat Room?

OK, I'll admit up front that this is probably a dumb question to ask of W211 owners who are mostly fanatical about their cars, but I'll take my chances:

As my order date grows closer for an '04 E500 4Matic, the one thing that continues to eat at me is the back seat room. I can't get past the thought that since I'm spending nearly $70,000 for a car (loaded up with options obviously) I shouldn't have to compromise on something as basic as back seat room. My main back seat cargo will be two boys in the 6-to-9 yr old range, but occasionally two adults on an evening out for dinner. I am 6'1" and like to have my seat at nearly full extension when I drive. It rubs me the wrong way to think I will need to crunch myself forward anytime someone is riding behind me.

Since I am a committed MB guy (currently on my 5th, next purchase will be 6th....does that mean I'm committed or that I SHOULD be committed...to a padded room?), my alternative would be an S-Class. I understand all the arguments about how these are two different cars and you can't really compare a stripped-down S to an option-loaded E, but just focusing on the back seat leg room issue, does anyone else find that they and their back seat passengers are cramped for space? Did you consider this when looking at the E before purcahse and did it cause you to at least consider S-Class? Or am I just so damn anxious to get my E500 that I'm looking for things to complain about to keep my mind busy while I wait for next fall?

Any and all constructive feedback welcome.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok i agree with you all the way.... Read this Thread ... i believe it will answer all u r questions..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=33530
Old 03-18-2003, 05:22 PM

SL500
dtm, I am 6'1" and have been a passenger in the back seat of both a 210 (many times) and 211. The rear has sufficient room but not is overly comfy, with the seat all the way back leg room could be a problem for adults. The S430 has very nice rear head/leg room. Personally if room is a BIG issue I would go with a S430, Nappa, ABC suspension. A few weeks ago there was a loaded s430 black on black at my local dealer and I must say it was truely a beautiful looking car. Sticker was around $90,000.

In your case back seat room does not seem to be that big a deal, keep in mind soon you'll be driving a very nice car that few if any other cars in its class can come even close to matching.

Enjoy
Old 03-18-2003, 08:47 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
At 6'0 I've also been concerned about the back seat room.

I have found that the front seat has some strange limits on how it can be adjusted.

Ultimately, I've found that while I could ride with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel extended all the way out, this is really a somewhat uncomfortable position for me.

Strangely, I have found that if I move it forward significantly and adjust the steering wheel to match, there is a very comfortable position that leaves ample room in the rear seats behind the driver.

My biggest gripe is the way that you can drop the elevation of the seat only when it is in the far back potition.

When the seat is nearer to the front it will not get as close to the floor as I would like.

Finally, the auto entry feature was irritating in the way it moved the seat all the way back.

I reset it to only adjust the wheel height.

I think that the driver should be able to 'set' the limits of the auto entry features.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:12 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I am over 6 foot. No problem as a passenger behind a tall driver and no problem with adults riding behind me. I do not feel the need to have the seat all the way back either. It really is too far back for me to be comfortable. I looked at the S class too. The only feature I liked better was the extra leg room in the back seat. Everything else about the E is better for me-especially the feeling of a nimble drive.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 10:47 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
I am over 6 foot. No problem as a passenger behind a tall driver and no problem with adults riding behind me. I do not feel the need to have the seat all the way back either. It really is too far back for me to be comfortable. I looked at the S class too. The only feature I liked better was the extra leg room in the back seat. Everything else about the E is better for me-especially the feeling of a nimble drive.
Thanks for the comments. I actually sat in a new E, put the seat where I felt comfortable, then sat behind the driver's seat to test leg room. It was OK...not like an S-Class, but OK. Just wanted to make sure that my infatuation with the rest of the car didn't cause me to gloss over this area.

I agree that in style, uniqueness, available options and price, the E-Class has a lot to make it preferable over the S. Would love it if we could get the Nappa leather as an upgrade like is available in Europe and elsewhere...that's the only cosmetic feature of the S that I will envy as I drive my E.