E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Zaino vs. Zymol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino vs. Zymol

Hi,

It seems that just about everyone on this forum seems to use the Zaino Bros car polish... Maybe I've been living under a rock, or maybe it's an East coast thing... but how does Zaino really compare against the classic Zymol hand-rubbed waxes? I don't mean the stuff you normally get in the stores in the squirt bottles under the Zymol name, but the real Zymol boutique waxes you get from their website or mail order... like the Vintage, Destiny, or Atlantique glazes... Zaino says they're expensive but worth it, but heck... those Zaino Bros don't know what expensive is!!! Geesh! 13 bucks a bottle?

Sounds like Zaino is one of the polymer based guys, and they tend to bash the Carnauba wax guys... but are they really better? Is it time that I get up to date with the new-fangled polymer thingies?

"When I was your age, we spent 30 hours scrubbing down our cars, warming the real carnauba-wax based products in our hands, and then hand-rubbing it into the finish... wearing our hands down to the bone... putting blood, sweat, AND tears into our car finishes... AND... WE LIKED IT!!!"

-NavNut
Old 03-18-2003, 06:28 PM

Zymol is extremely expensive. But, it has worked well for me. I wax my BMW Z3 with it once a year. Of course, I don't drive it much as it mostly sits in my garage, but after a year it still shines. The shine is not bright and sparkling like Maguire's. It is more of a deep glaze.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Zaino vs. Zymol

Originally posted by NavNut
Hi,

It seems that just about everyone on this forum seems to use the Zaino Bros car polish... Maybe I've been living under a rock, or maybe it's an East coast thing... but how does Zaino really compare against the classic Zymol hand-rubbed waxes? I don't mean the stuff you normally get in the stores in the squirt bottles under the Zymol name, but the real Zymol boutique waxes you get from their website or mail order... like the Vintage, Destiny, or Atlantique glazes... Zaino says they're expensive but worth it, but heck... those Zaino Bros don't know what expensive is!!! Geesh! 13 bucks a bottle?

Sounds like Zaino is one of the polymer based guys, and they tend to bash the Carnauba wax guys... but are they really better? Is it time that I get up to date with the new-fangled polymer thingies?

"When I was your age, we spent 30 hours scrubbing down our cars, warming the real carnauba-wax based products in our hands, and then hand-rubbing it into the finish... wearing our hands down to the bone... putting blood, sweat, AND tears into our car finishes... AND... WE LIKED IT!!!"

-NavNut
believe me, zaino is much better. i have about 11 coats oz z-2 on my car, and i havent washed it for 2 months even though i havent, it looks much better than other waxes i have seen. it is a little bit more expensive, but it's the best for your paint
Old 03-18-2003, 06:34 PM

I've used the Zymols myself and I know what they can do... I've always been very happy with the results... but it is a lot of work...

I'm trying to gauge how they compare to the Zaino Bros solution which I have never tried... I'm always wary of the "Less work, AND it is better"-kind of answers, but it sounds like this might be true... I'd really like to hear from people who have indeed tried both... Maybe that's too much to ask for.

-NavNut
Old 03-18-2003, 07:09 PM

E500 Sport
I've done both and in fact, posed the same question you did several months ago. I've also posted the question on benzworld @ http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/ and Autopia @ http://www.autopia.org/index.php. I too was always a Zymol guy. Most will tell you there is no right or wrong answer. Do what works best for you, but do something. Here's my key points why I changed to Zanio: Wax, being wax, will melt, burn off and wear away at "Sun Beating" temps of 150+ deg. F. So at best, you're looking at only a month or two before you have to redo. Poly coats, like Zanio, will easily go 90 to 180 days. Given that I've done both, I think Zymol and Zanio are both very easy to apply and remove. read all the threads on all the sites. Also, most of these sites have a special, "detailing " site. You'll also find that a third party testing firm tested waxes, poly's, even Pledge. Zanio was the only one that received a top rating of 10. They compared Gloss, Depth, Shine, Durability, Application, Swirl Hiding Properties etc., etc. There's lots of good stuff out there..... go read it. It's really helpful
Old 03-18-2003, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I put carnuba on top of Klasse on my black C320, nothing protects like the high-tech polish and the carnuba gives the depth of shine. Klasse is easy to use.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:33 PM

switched

I used Zymol for over 3 years on my cars...switchde to Zaino lsat year and haven't looked back..better shine, last longer.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
the down side of Zaino is that you need to apply it when its 70 degrees plus outside or it takes forever to dry.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:29 AM
Almost a Member!

zaino has an accelerator

All you have to do is to add 2 drops per once of the Zaino, mix it, apply and wait for 15 mins. It dries.
Having said that :-)
I have used the Zaino for nearly two years. Best there it was. Then, sometime last year, they've changed the formula. It is a lot thinner now. If you want to use the Z5 (the protector, swirl remover) you have to apply 4 coats, instead of 2 coats of the previous one. Plus, it may be just me, but the new one is a dust magnet. Apply it, in two days, even the vertical surfaces are covered with dust. Having a black car, it is not nice at all. The local distributor here suggested to use Z6, the gloss enhancer, anti-static agent. It helped. It took 4 days instead of 2.
I just could not take it anymore. After a little research, I've switched to Klasse, a product from Germany. I think it looks as good as (if not better) Zaino.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:22 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I hear Zaino's great...

But I have not used it personally. I used Zymol Creame for a year and just switched to P21S.

Let me tell you, P21 is far superior to Zymol Creame IMHO. Easier application, no staining the black plastic/rubber, and a much better shine. Heck, it even cost less than Zymol, but not by much. Oh yeah, it doesn't smell as nice as Zymol.

Everything I've heard about Zaino's has been good, but I prefer a natural carnauba compared to a polymer polish...
Old 03-22-2003, 09:19 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
c32aus-I had the same experiance- The dust seemingly seeks the car ! I statrted using the Zaino Z6 Quik Detailer spray and it is billed as having anti-static properties.... Works Great!

In the interim I used Meguires and Zymol with good results so I would have to say in all fairness they were strong contenders but I didn't give them more than 1 chance to work...

In some ways I believe that any of these "upper shelf" products are good, the differance will be the amount of effort expended.