E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Driver Door Does NOT Stay Shut. Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Angry Driver Door Does NOT Stay Shut. Please HELP!!!

Have 2003 E500 with KeylessGo option. About two months ago noticed that the driver door handle is becoming faulty. Sometimes I could not unlock the car by pulling on it and I had to open it via key remote. I’ve searched forums and learned that it was a very common problem with KeylessGo handles and simply required handle’s replacement. About two weeks ago I opened/unlocked the driver door by pulling on the handle. When I entered the car and tried to close the door it would not stay shut. It felt like the locking mechanism would not engage to keep the door in place. I tried to ‘play’ with door’s outer handle by pulling on it and it finally worked. The door’s lock worked and let the door close. I suspected that the problem was related to the faulty door handle and immediately ordered replacement part. The new handle arrived last week and I installed it over the weekend. The handle seems to be working just fine now and I can easily unlock the car by pulling on it. However, I still experience intermittent problems with door not being able to stay shut. It seems to happen when I open /unlock the door by pulling on the handle. However, I couldn’t replicate the problem by opening the door via key remote. I have searched forums but couldn’t find anything related to this issue. Could someone shed any light on this problem?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM

2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
up
Old 02-21-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB500
Have 2003 E500 with KeylessGo option. About two months ago noticed that the driver door handle is becoming faulty. Sometimes I could not unlock the car by pulling on it and I had to open it via key remote. I’ve searched forums and learned that it was a very common problem with KeylessGo handles and simply required handle’s replacement. About two weeks ago I opened/unlocked the driver door by pulling on the handle. When I entered the car and tried to close the door it would not stay shut. It felt like the locking mechanism would not engage to keep the door in place. I tried to ‘play’ with door’s outer handle by pulling on it and it finally worked. The door’s lock worked and let the door close. I suspected that the problem was related to the faulty door handle and immediately ordered replacement part. The new handle arrived last week and I installed it over the weekend. The handle seems to be working just fine now and I can easily unlock the car by pulling on it. However, I still experience intermittent problems with door not being able to stay shut. It seems to happen when I open /unlock the door by pulling on the handle. However, I couldn’t replicate the problem by opening the door via key remote. I have searched forums but couldn’t find anything related to this issue. Could someone shed any light on this problem?
I don't know where the fault is, but it sure sounds like the actuator that "pushes" the door open when it is locked is hanging. If all doors are locked and you pull the handle, it actuates the latch for you, so you do not have to pull the handle out. It sounds like that is releasing but not re-engaging.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM

Finally problem has been addressed by replacing the door lock. Took the car to the dealer and spoke with one of their technicians. The guy told me that locks do wear out mechanically and need to be replaced. New part cost me $222 (wholesale) plus I paid about $325 for labor. This job required taking the entire door apart and I wasn’t that adventurous to do it myself. Hope this helps to someone who may have problems with keeping their doors shut.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 sport
i just had the same problem with the drivers rear door it would just bounce off the striker.
the problem was that it would not engauge the first click on the latch like the first click if you shut the door real shoft and it dont shut all the way.

i got the part for 200 and i did the labor my self so it dident cost that much but it does mean taking the door all the way apart like the door handle on the outside and the inside.