Check your time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
Check your time

I've noticed that the clock of my 500 is losing about a miunte every week...not too sure I like this new design and the way it sets etc as it seems overly complex for what it should be.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Check your time

Originally posted by RJC
I've noticed that the clock of my 500 is losing about a miunte every week...not too sure I like this new design and the way it sets etc as it seems overly complex for what it should be.
RJC - is your car 'GPS enabled'?

If so, you can synchronise your clock with the satellite time; my car's clock is perfectly synchonised and absolutely correct! Do you have that option in the time setting menu?
Old 03-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Avantgarde Brilliant Silver
craigng: Have you checked the date when you have the clock "synchronised with the head unit" in the options settings? I found that while the time was correct when using GPS, the date appeared to be set to the Northern hemisphere date, i.e. 12 hours (in NZ) out of whack.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by norbury
craigng: Have you checked the date when you have the clock "synchronised with the head unit" in the options settings? I found that while the time was correct when using GPS, the date appeared to be set to the Northern hemisphere date, i.e. 12 hours (in NZ) out of whack.
Hi norbury

Sounds like your date is following the UTC/GMT time (consistent with the time kept by the satellites), since your time zone is UTC/GMT + 12 hours. Perhaps that relate to country/time zone setting - I'm not sure how you set that.

I've just checked my time/date setting in the head unit with the sync turned off on the multifunction display. It's keeping the correct time and date. ie. it's showing that the date is 23 March (when the UTC/GMT date should still be on 22 March - at 2320 hours). see www.timeanddate.com.

PS- not sure what I have to do when our daylight savings end next weekend ... will be interested to see if the clock is automatically updated too!

Last edited by craigng; 03-22-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Check your time

Originally posted by craigng
RJC - is your car 'GPS enabled'?

If so, you can synchronise your clock with the satellite time; my car's clock is perfectly synchonised and absolutely correct! Do you have that option in the time setting menu?
I don't have command but my tel aid is active...can I still synchronize the clock? I do not see any info for this in my owners manual under time settings, are you getting these time setting on your command screen or on the multifunction display?

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 03-22-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Re: Re: Check your time

Originally posted by RJC
I don't have command but my tel aid is active...can I still synchronize the clock? I do not see any info for this in my owners manual under time settings, are you getting these time setting on your command screen or on the multifunction display?

Thanks
Hi RJC - I think you need COMAND or APS 50 with GPS-enabled to get the synchronised time setting.

In my multifunction display, under 'Settings' > 'Time/date setting', there is an option for 'Sync with head unit?'. My setting is on, which then means that it takes the time from the COMAND/APS 50 screen. If I then go to my APS 50 screen, under 'SERV' > 'Time', it will show the current time and the UTC time. The clock in the instrument panel picks up this time.

Cheers
Craig
Old 03-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Avantgarde Brilliant Silver
craigng: Thanks for the reply. Funny thing. I just checked the whole system again and couldn't find anywhere to set the country/location.

The date now reads correctly (with "sync to head unit" on as it is after midnight UTC on 23 March. However, when you go to "Position" in the Nav menu and memorise the current GPS position it is saved with the date as 22 March. This parallels the experience I had a week ago when I first discovered I was out by a day as daylight saving finished here last weekend and I discovered the date error when resetting the clock for standard time. (It's odd to watch - when you change the digital time the analog clock advances to the new time by rotating the hands rapidly through approx 12 hours until it stops at the new time). You have to turn off "sync to head unit" first.

Would it be possible for you to check yours and see if when your current GPS position is saved to memory, the time stamp on the memory entry is a day behind?
Old 03-22-2003, 10:16 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Check your time

Originally posted by craigng
Hi RJC - I think you need COMAND or APS 50 with GPS-enabled to get the synchronised time setting.

In my multifunction display, under 'Settings' > 'Time/date setting', there is an option for 'Sync with head unit?'. My setting is on, which then means that it takes the time from the COMAND/APS 50 screen. If I then go to my APS 50 screen, under 'SERV' > 'Time', it will show the current time and the UTC time. The clock in the instrument panel picks up this time.

Cheers
Craig
Craig, What is APS50? Sure wish I had gotten command so I did not have to deal with this slow clock, funny the digital one in my w208 never skipped a beat...add this to the list for the next dealer visit.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi Norbury - tried to store a location, but it doesn't seem to be time stamped! Sorry ... couldn't do it!

RJC - APS50 is one of the three types of sound/central control system. It's the one with the smaller colour LCD screen (as distinct from the larger 6.5" colour screen for COMAND).