E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2009 E350 COMMAND Update Changed Bluetooth Ringtone? What Else Did It Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
2009 E350 COMMAND Update Changed Bluetooth Ringtone? What Else Did It Change?

One of my 2009 E350's was experiencing an SD Card glitch, so two days ago I brought it in so the dealer could fix the problem (summarized below to help identify what kind of COMMAND UPDATE was performed... skip to the end if you just want to read my questions this particular COMMAND UPDATE).

PROBLEM: If I power off COMMAND (by either pushing the power button, or turning off the car and removing the key) while playing MP3's from the SD Card Slot, the NEXT TIME I power on COMMAND (by either pushing the power button, or turning the key if I didn't manually shut off COMMAND) the screen would cycle through the "warning" and "mercedes logo" screens, but then would FREEZE AT THE LAST SCREEN I WAS AT (ie: if I was in NAVI mode, it would freeze at the NAVI screen) FOR 5-7 MINUTES BEFORE ABRUPTLY POWERING OFF/RESETTING ITSELF. While it was frozen, you could hear the CD's spinning/trying to be read (even though it's trying to play from your <=2GB SD Card), and the screen would look "normal" (ie: Navigation arrow would move as your car would move), but NO audio would play from the SD Card, and NO buttons/input would work (ie: can't switch screens/modes, arrow keys don't work, track skip buttons don't work, etc). The only button that "semi-works" is the POWER button, which will toggle the screen ON/OFF (but would NOT power off COMMAND because you could still hear the CD's spinning in the CD changer trying to be read, and when you toggled the screen back on again there would be NO "warning" or "mercedes logo" or any bootup time at all... it would immediately show you the screen you were last frozen at). This problem was reproducable 100% of the time, and has happened over 100 times before my trip to the dealership.

SOLUTION: The dealership said there was a software update to deal with this problem. The installed update does solve this problem.

However, now I have a few questions about the installed update:

1) What software update did the dealership perform? What else did this update fix? (Is there documentation/release notes as to all the changes made by the update?)

2) When an incoming call comes in to my bluetooth-paired phone, the car's ringtone is now a different one than before the update. Is there any way to change the ringtone in this vehicle (are there multiple ringtones to choose from)? Or are you stuck with whatever you have right now? I find it strange that the update would change the bluetooth ringtone without reason.

Thanks in advance!