E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

loud squeel/squeek steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e350 4matic
loud squeel/squeek steering wheel

After a couple months of owning a Certified Pre-Owned MB I started hearing a rather loud squeel sound coming from the steering column as I steer the car around my parking lot just after starting the car in mthe morning. Seems worse the colder it is the night before.

Sounds like rubber or plastic squeeking against something turning (column I assume).

MB dealer told me that sound is from "TRIM" inside car and isnt covered under warrranty. Has anyone heard that kind of sound coming from the steering mechanism and if so is it rubber or something expanding and contracting in the cold?

Help!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Moved to correct forum.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
It is a long shot but if the wheel has been changed out or the air bag removed and replaced, there are several wires beneath the air bag that power it and maybe the horn. They have to be re-inserted and I think there is a loom of some kind that they tuck into. I say this is not likely as most (all??) of the electrical controls in the sterring wheel use a clock spring to prevent kinking of electic conductors but if you think it is coming from the wheel as opposed to the column, you might check it out.