E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Official word from MB Australia regarding DVD COMAND!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official word from MB Australia regarding DVD COMAND!!

My dealer faxed me a copy of the official MB Australia bulletin, update #1054 regarding the DVD COMAND system and related equipment.

I will try to post a copy of the entire letter on the forum soon but here are the sections that are of main interest:

E Class- Telematics and Equipment Update

DVD COMAND system "Becker" (code 527)

We are delighted to confirm production of the new COMAND system for the W211 (E Class). From 3rd decade March 2003 (production),the E320,E500 and E55 AMG will receive the unit as standard equipment. The unit will feature DVD Navigation (DVD included), Exclusive AM/FM radio and DVD player and will also operate the Telephone.The unit will be available as optional equipment on the E240 and E270 CDI (code527).

Regarding details of the "Becker" COMAND system (retrofit campaign) to replace W211 vechicles fitted with Audio 50 APS system. Suffice to say,as per our previous advice (Bulletin #1050) this would not take place until mid 2003.We are waiting on details after testing,and will be sure to advise immediately when we receive final confirmation.

TV Tuner (code 860)

We are pleased to advise that from 3rd decade March 2003(production) the TV tuner (code 860) will be available as optional equipment on the E320,E500 and E55 AMG. The TV tuner is also available when ordered in conjuncution with the COMAND system for the E240 and E270 CDI.

Please note: the TV tuner is not available as an accessory, nor can it be retro-fitted at a later date. The TV tuner pre-installation is NOT available for the E Class (W211) and therefore prohibits the fitment of the TV tuner as a retro-fit. Please make this clear to customers considering the TV tuner (code 860).

Linguatronic "Voice Control" (code 390)

At this stage we are not able to confirm the date of commencement for Linguatronic (code 390). Earlier information was that this option would become available after the new COMAND unit. We are in direct daily contact with the factory, and will be notified immediately when this situation changes. We expect this will be within the near future.

END

I know this information is specifically related to Australian spec cars but the technology would be very similiar to all markets world wide, and is a good indication that things are finally happening- and in our favour.

Last edited by Callaway; 03-26-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Wow...Standard equipment in Australia. Should be everywhere.

Sure a big difference in MBAustrailia and MBUSA. We are yet to hear anything official on the unit. Everything we have is from Dealers (mostly opinions and in direct opposition to each other) and from MBUSA reps on the phone...which also conflict with each other.

There is no doubt that the failure of MBUSA to make even the smallest attempt to commicate is what has soured many of us on MB.

Congrats Callaway. Hope we are not too far behind in getting word.

Ed
Old 03-26-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wellll if you do a price comparison between the two you'll see that Aussies pay a shedload more than we do, they SHOULD get more as standard.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi this is good to hear about the DVD nav and i read that it mentioned something about the TV tuner.. Can someone explain we can do if we get the option for TV tuner once its aviable.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:19 PM

MB should be putting in HDTV tuners in the US since virtually all stations have now converted, the screen is 16:9, the picture would be digitally perfect, and it's 2003 already. But, knowing how MB always trails in electronics, I would be shocked if they were to do so.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by Baby Jocko
MB should be putting in HDTV tuners in the US since virtually all stations have now converted, the screen is 16:9, the picture would be digitally perfect, and it's 2003 already. But, knowing how MB always trails in electronics, I would be shocked if they were to do so.
i dont think MB will come out with a TV tuner because i thought it was illegal if if was in the drivers view. it would be cool though. regarding MB trailing in electronics is the opposite. they have the best electrnics if anything. they are so ahead of everyone else, everyone copies off of MB. like parktronic, keylessgo, and many others. even as simple as lights in the side mirrors, new VW bugs have those now..
Old 03-26-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by bmms8
i dont think MB will come out with a TV tuner because i thought it was illegal if if was in the drivers view. it would be cool though. regarding MB trailing in electronics is the opposite. they have the best electrnics if anything.
It's not illegal if the vehicle is not moving. That TV option is suppose to shut off once the speed is above 5 mph or so.

Let's just agree to disagree about MB and its electronics. I'm an electronics buff and MB has not impressed me in that field compared to many other car manufacturers. The delayed DVD nav is proof.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Moral:

If you want the TV tuner (and it is available in your country) you MUST order it at the time of purchase and be fitted by the factory because it is not retrofitable afterwards.

The good news is that the new DVD COMAND, which is retrofitable, plays video DVD's on the screen without having the TV tuner option fitted.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
Callaway, is there a site, or does your dealer have literature about the features of the new COMAND system? Have not seen anything posted on this forum about the features, all has been speculation, or marketing blurbs
Old 03-27-2003, 01:51 AM

See my post on new DVD COMAND features that I will post soon.