Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
[QUOTE=sosh;4093446]
Originally Posted by vettdvr

Believe he paid for the work as the dealer claimed a rodent had chewed up the fan wiring near the thermostat. If that he truly the case then the owner would be responsible as its not a factory defect.
You are right MB isn't responsible for rats.. been a while since I read the start. But if it is still overheating MB should make correctings in not part of the origional rat.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Correct, MBUSA warrants repair for 12months/unlimited mileage.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 W211
Part 2 Continued...

Well got a call from the service advisor and he informed me that they still can not diagnose the problem after 2 full days at the dealer. He informed me that he would return the car back to me tomorrow if nothing else happens...

I'm not sure what to do... I know my car overheated.

They supposedly replaced the fan, thermostat, and changed oil and filter first time around.

Anyone knowledgeable know what else might be wrong? I drove the car about 15 minutes on a relatively cool day with my ac on when it overheated.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by AMG4EmE
Well got a call from the service advisor and he informed me that they still can not diagnose the problem after 2 full days at the dealer. He informed me that he would return the car back to me tomorrow if nothing else happens...

I'm not sure what to do... I know my car overheated.

They supposedly replaced the fan, thermostat, and changed oil and filter first time around.

Anyone knowledgeable know what else might be wrong? I drove the car about 15 minutes on a relatively cool day with my ac on when it overheated.

Thanks again in advance.
New doesn't mean works. The new thermostat might be defective.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:08 PM

2008 W211
Part 2 Continued...

Well just got a call from my service advisor to pickup my car from BEVERLY HILLS MERCEDES BENZ.

They informed me that after 2.5 days of testing and checking that the only problem I had was a faulty sensor that was giving out wrong information on engine temperature.

I guess the overheating of the car was just a figment of my imagination. When the warning sensor for the car overheating came on, I pulled right over and popped the hood. The extreme heat from the engine as well as the steam/vapors was also... just a figment of my imagination.

I talked to the service manager about this as well and he informed me that there was nothing wrong with the car.

I asked both to at least do a oil/filter change just incase.
  1. Because the overheating of my car may have damaged the integrity of the oil.
  2. Because the coolant/water may have mixed with the oil.
They both informed me that Mercedes Benz would not allow this to be covered under warranty and that I would have to pay for it.

Needless to say... I WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE OR SERVICE A CAR EVER AGAIN FROM BEVERLY HILLS MERCEDES BENZ.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
As I said before, this dealer has a lot of bad reviews online. If the car over heats again, take it to another dealer and should be repaired under CPO warranty. I'm surprised that you still take the car back to the same dealer after experiencing bad service the last time.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by SZMB
As I said before, this dealer has a lot of bad reviews online. If the car over heats again, take it to another dealer and should be repaired under CPO warranty. I'm surprised that you still take the car back to the same dealer after experiencing bad service the last time.
"as Buckwheat from the Lil Rascals would say", "Me too neither."

Find another dealer asap and leave this one fast.!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 PM

2008 W211
Dealerships...

The first time the car overheated I took the car to Downtown Los Angeles MB.

Second time around, I took my car to Beverly Hills MB.

I'm thinking i'm going to take the car to Downtown MB this monday for a checkup on the overheating problem. I bought this car not to worry about it breaking down/overheating/whatnot and now I can't imagine having this problem halfway to Vegas or something.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM

09 E320 Bluetec
Well got a call from MB service and they informed me that some rodent must have crawled into my car and stopped the fan from working causing my overheat.

They informed me that they would have to do the following repairs:
1. Replace the fan.
2. Replace the thermostat.
3. Replace the oil/filter.

They also informed me that this is not covered by my CPO / MB Warranty and that it would cost me something like $2k.

Can anyone please help me?

1. Shouldn't MB cover all the charges for this? Like why the heck would a rodent get into my car and even if one did, would that make it my problem?
2. Since they are saying I need to replace the oil/filter, doesn't that mean I'm more prone to engine problems later on down the line? I just bought my car 3 weeks ago to keep for a while and now I don't even want it...
3. Is there anyway I can return my car?

Thanks in advance,
AMG4EmE
Rodents or other critters might crawl up into your engine because it is warm and sheltered from the weather. If it happened anywhere but the dealer's garage, why would it be the dealer's problem? It's your car, your problem. If your car got caught in a flash flood, would you expect the dealer to be responsible... no matter how recently you bought it??

Why would you think the dealer would be responsible for a critter that crawled up into your engine compartment??

Beyond that, I'm not sure how said rodent would stop the fan from working without lots of blood and guts as evidence. And why a thermostat? Did it get so hot the old one burned out? Same question for the oil. Seems to me that if it was a rodent, the fan should work unless it is physically broken, but the thermostat should be fine along with the oil.

Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
Sounds like you are being taken advantage of. Surely they gave you a better story than that? A cat maybe? Did they produce the offender's carcass or is this professional conjecture?

I can guess that the parts are under $750 with the fan ( They got both of them?) probably being the Lion's share.
I am a notorious cheapskate but if it were me, I would contact the state agency that regulates automobile repairs and lodge a complaint for insulting my intelligence and then I would buy the parts, get my tools and spend a Saturday under the hood.

I had a co-worker that kept a book of lies that people in the office told. At Christmas he would pull it out and read a few passages from the past :
Diesel airplanes
Cannon shells that sucked the enemy from their foxholes
Cars that had delivered hundreds of MPG
stuff like that
This story would have definitely made the list.
Well, there are diesel airplanes. Jet engines are, essentially, diesel. They are "heat" based and once lit, do not need any outside source of spark to burn the gas. They compress the air and it get so hot that when the jet fuel (not that dissimilar from diesel) is introduced to the combustion chamber, it mixes with the hot air and ignites.

There also several piston based diesel aircraft engines in production and flying today. They burn jet fuel, but use the heat principle like a car. Squeeze the air so it's hot, inject the fuel and BOOM, combustion in the cylinder.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs01grc.html - note date of this page: 11/22/04
http://www.deltahawkengines.com/
http://www.centurion-engines.com/

Last edited by skiahh; 05-29-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by skiahh
Rodents or other critters might crawl up into your engine because it is warm and sheltered from the weather. If it happened anywhere but the dealer's garage, why would it be the dealer's problem? It's your car, your problem. If your car got caught in a flash flood, would you expect the dealer to be responsible... no matter how recently you bought it??

Why would you think the dealer would be responsible for a critter that crawled up into your engine compartment??

Beyond that, I'm not sure how said rodent would stop the fan from working without lots of blood and guts as evidence. And why a thermostat? Did it get so hot the old one burned out? Same question for the oil. Seems to me that if it was a rodent, the fan should work unless it is physically broken, but the thermostat should be fine along with the oil.

Well, there are diesel airplanes. Jet engines are, essentially, diesel. They are "heat" based and once lit, do not need any outside source of spark to burn the gas. They compress the air and it get so hot that when the jet fuel (not that dissimilar from diesel) is introduced to the combustion chamber, it mixes with the hot air and ignites.

There also several piston based diesel aircraft engines in production and flying today. They burn jet fuel, but use the heat principle like a car. Squeeze the air so it's hot, inject the fuel and BOOM, combustion in the cylinder.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs01grc.html - note date of this page: 11/22/04
http://www.deltahawkengines.com/
http://www.centurion-engines.com/
SO? What point are you trying to get across?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 PM

09 E320 Bluetec
He's badmouthing a dealer, looking for sympathy because he feels the dealer should cover something outside their control. Unless there's something we're missing here, his sense of entitlement is pretty sad.

As for the diesel airplanes... CH is saying his coworkers have this book of lies... when in reality, at least one is not a lie. Credibility?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM

2008 W211
SKIAHH...

Originally Posted by skiahh
He's badmouthing a dealer, looking for sympathy because he feels the dealer should cover something outside their control. Unless there's something we're missing here, his sense of entitlement is pretty sad.
I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for advice. What's your problem? Bitter?

My car is a 2008 CPO car that was first leased out to the first owner about 3 years ago.

I bought my car about 2.5 months ago. I live in Downtown Los Angeles where I park my car in a parking structure in my condo. I work in Downtown Los Angeles where I park my car on the 2nd floor of a parking structure in my office. I rarely park my car in the streets or elsewhere for that matter.

The fan shorted out 3 weeks into my ownership supposedly because there was rodent damage. I looked at the fan and like I mentioned before, it just looked like a light spray of diarrea on it. No rodent hair or parts or rodent chewing of wires.

My thing is that the problem with the fan was probably already there, before I had bought the car. Probably overlooked or ignored during the CPO check. 3 weeks of ownership vs. 3 years of ownership. The car probably sat at the dealer longer than my ownership of it. Do the math.

I'm looking for someone that might have some advice on what I should do. Maybe a contact that can help me resolve my problem so I can enjoy driving it instead of wasting my 2 mins posting stuffs like this.

Last edited by AMG4EmE; 05-30-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 AM

2004 E500 CLK320
If the thermostat is faulty and stuck open, when you drive on the freeway in a cool day or morning, the coolant temperature will drop below normal. If the temperature stays normal during freeway cruising, then the thermostat is ok. If the car over heats during city driving or while idling, open the hood and see if the cooling fan is running. The cooling fan should automatically turn on when the coolant temperature reaches normal.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM

2008 W211
Service Manager's Boss...

Just got this email from supposedly the Service Manager's Boss at Beverly Hills MB Service. He saw my review on Yelp and got ahold of me...

"You tell me when would be good for you to drop with me so we can inspect the car completely and get you the peace of Mind you deserve! As I am Tom's boss and parts and service Director, I will be happy to personally oversee this and have my shop foreman drive the car with your permission and verify all systems are working properly! I will set you up with a loaner to minimize the inconvenience to you. I am here from 7AM to 7PM most days to accommodate what works best for you!

I look forward to meeting you and addressing your concerns so we can help you regain the confidence in my department and dealer!"

Am I just asking for more trouble by taking my car to Beverly Hills MB Service again? Sorta like that saying. Do it once, shame on you. Do it twice, shame on me...

Last edited by AMG4EmE; 06-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
That sounds good to me. Looks like they're getting serious taking care of their customers and planning to put some competent techs to work on the problem. It's frustrating wasting so much and money on a new CPO.
BTW, how did you know he saw your review on yelp?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
...............Am I just asking for more trouble by taking my car to Beverly Hills MB Service again? Sorta like that saying. Do it once, shame on you. Do it twice, shame on me...
No,, I would go back and give them a chance. After all everyone can make a mistake. In todays world to have someone offer to help is rare. Besides if they really are an honest business they know MB owners interact and they don't want to lose the business.

You might have something serious such as warped head.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

2008 W211
Yelp...

That sounds good to me. Looks like they're getting serious taking care of their customers and planning to put some competent techs to work on the problem. It's frustrating wasting so much and money on a new CPO.
BTW, how did you know he saw your review on yelp?
He actually emailed me stating he saw my Yelp review. I guess he also contacted the service department to find out my email address which was only given to the service advisor that I was dealing with at that time.

Spending the extra money on service/repairs on a CPO car really kills me. I would have much rather paid the extra cash for a new car instead. This is my first used car purchase and probably my last.

Crossing my fingers on this one and plan to take my car to BHMB for a followup.

Last edited by AMG4EmE; 06-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
He actually emailed me stating he saw my Yelp review. I guess he also contacted the service department to find out my email address which was only given to the service advisor that I was dealing with at that time.

Spending the extra money on service/repairs on a CPO car really kills me. I would have much rather paid the extra cash for a new car instead. This is my first used car purchase and probably my last.

Crossing my fingers on this one and plan to take my car to BHMB for a followup.
Have no idea what Yelp is but I too would give them a second chance and I would insist that he drive it for a couple of days to insure all is well.