Problem with Panorama Sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 SPORT
Problem with Panorama Sunroof

I purchased E500 SPORT about two months ago. I really love it, but I have some problems with the car:

1. Ticking sound from the engine (motor mount problem).
2. Wiper Noise
3. Driver side front suspension noise (sounds like it's bouncing), but disappears when driving for a while.
4. Wind noise (high tone) in high speed from the panorama sunroof when closed.

I can live with problem #1-3 because they are all fixable, #4 really worries me. Does anyone have this problem? It's really annoying especially when I'm driving for a long distance. My car has only about 1,000 miles.

BTW, do you guys also know how to fold the exterior mirrors? I asked the dealer, and they said that there is no way to fold them. This is ridiculous because sometimes you need to fold them for tiny parking space. This forum gives me lots of valuable information about the car and you all seem very helpful!!
Old 03-28-2003, 11:14 PM

W211
Yup, I have an annoying whistling noise at 60+ mph. I took my car in to the dealer yesterday for motor mount replacement (ticking really got on my nerves) and also had them check the seals and weatherstripping. They couldn't find the source of the wind noise though.

I asked this very question on here a few weeks ago and most people with the pano roof didn't have noticeable wind noise. Let me know if you happen to find a fix!
Old 03-28-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Ridiculous as it may be...the mirrors do not fold. You can move them a little, but don't attempt to fold them down.
There were a couple of threads on this a couple of months ago.
There is an "option" for folding mirrors, but I don't think it was ever available in the U.S.

Good luck on the other issues. I don't have the pano roof so can't comment on that. I am sure that it is not normal or we would have had a lot of whining and sniveling on that issue.:p

Ed
Old 03-29-2003, 03:49 PM

W211 & Q7
inkm,

1. get a motor mount as soon as you can.

2. wiper noise means you have to wash your car. I have the same problem but after a car wash, noise is gone.

4. wind noise from pano roof. mine is ok. you may ask service center to check yours. or resync your pano roof -- it may not close perfectly in your car. try to turn off fan and listen the wind noise again because I found the mb fan is not quiet as bmw one.

the US w211 comes with unfoldable mirrors. you may import parts from other countries by yourself and ask you local dealer to intall them for you. (asian models have this option.)

otto
Old 03-29-2003, 06:34 PM

2013 GL550
I've heard the front susupension sound as well, usually when I first start out when the car has been sitting for some time.

I hear an occasional high pitched whistle from what sounds like the right rear passenger door area. Can't seem to duplicate it at will, though.

I was going to have the suspension thing checked at my first visit. Good luck with yours!!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:10 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Talking

Something to check: I heard a high-pitched whistle one morning as I got up to speed, sudden onset, had not heard anything in the previous months of ownership. It sounded like it came from the right rear or right front window area, perhaps even the sunroof. It turned out one of the flow control wheels for the rear console vent (standard E320 A/C system) had been rotated nearly closed, and was just open far enough to create a whistle. It came and went with fan speed changes. Tough to locate and diagnose when you are alone in the car.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 SPORT
Thanks guys for your inputs!!! I finally got everything fixed and I'd like to share with those of you who had the same problems.

1. Engine Mounts replaced
2. Wipers were ok so didn't have to fix them.
3. They said they installed pulsation dampener in suction line at SBC hydraulic unit. Bleed brakes with SDS. Have no idea what this means. If anyone knows about this, feel free to share with us.
4. Adjusted and secure trim at top of glass. Couldn't clearly understand exactly how they did...

I just got back from the dealer and so far so good with the car. Sorry guys for not giving you some specific technical information, but i hope this can help you.

Took them 3 days to fix everything.

Best,

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 Hammer
My pano roof whistles from 45mph+ and it's extremely annoying. Any fix?? I have a 700 mile drive coming