E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hit a Plastic Trash Can on the Freeway in the Dark

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 Sport- Black on Black
Hit a Plastic Trash Can on the Freeway in the Dark

As careful a person as I am, bad timing got the best of me the other morning. Just as I was about to pass the only other car on the 405 freeway, at 4 am, a plastic Roughneck popped out in front of me from the blind spot as I was about to pass, going 70! Too close to swerve, I pegged that thing dead on with the right front bumper, and it went flying! Too heartbroken to want to know the damage, I kept going to my destination 150 miles away, and still I did not want to look.

Well after I looked, it looked like major scratches, loose headlight, loose fog light, and the center piece of the grill was missing. Looked like some major deflection that went into that corner of the car.

Further examination showed that 90% of the scrathes were plastic transferred from the trash can. So they mostly buffed out. The fog light bracket I repaired and replaced the bulbs with brighter ones. The main headlight box had a broken connection bracket on the top mechanical connection to the chasse, a cracked headlight box when view from undernieth and the lower connection to the body was broken through. All the internal pastic structure I repaired using Zip and Kicker. No perminant body damage whatsoever.....luck!

Question 1 : If I find that I need to replace the headlight box, does that come in parts or do you have to buy the whole thing?

Question 2: Do you have to remove the front bumper to get out the headlight box?

Question 3: For a 2006 E350, are there any other cool lower grill variations that I can try, since I have a missing part anyway...?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM

W212 E350 P2 AMG Appearance
Sorry to hear about the mishap. As for your questions when you say head light box are you referring to the headlamp housing? If so......

Question 1: You would have to by the whole headlamp unless you can find the part you need on ebay

Question 2: In order to remove the head lamps the you have to remove the front bumper.

Question 3: I like the factory I have not seen anything else that really catches my eye

Cheers,
M
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
sorry for your plight
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM

K7 GSX-R 750
Pics..???? Sorry to hear...
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 PM