E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Protective Body Films

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protective Body Films

Has anyone seen such products or know where to buy them? I saw a Porsche with what looked like a protective film over the front facia, sideview mirrors, and the lower part of the hood...basically, everywhere rocks and debris hit.

I don't think this was a dealer option. It looked great and was nearly invisible.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:18 PM

E500 Sport
Wink

Yup, sure do. I did my own. I bought most everything from Stongard. You can check their web site www.stongard.com and find dealers or order direct. They're a few other Clear Bra web sites, e.g., Bodyguard, Invinca-Shield. Through Stongard, I order the complete E500 Sport kit with parktornic, $258 and the Stongard Light kit for $60. The Stongard kit covered the Front part of the hood, mirrors, complete front bumper and fender areas, door handle wells and the door edges. The light kit covered the head lights (2 low and 2 hi), fog lights and mirror turn signals. Then, if that wasn't enough, I ordered from Invinca-Shield an "Option Kit" for $96 that covered the leading edge of the roof (just forward of the sun/moon roof) the A-pillars and the top of the rear bumper by the lower part of the trunk lid (this kit also included the mirrors.... so you have an extra set for the mirrors). If you have someone install it for you, the cost will be about double. Good Luck. BTW, it can always be removed. I had it on my BMW for 4 years with no problems. Just wax or poly (e.g. Zanio) as you would the paint surface! Good Luck... Mark
Old 03-30-2003, 09:11 PM

StoneGard Application

Thanks for the info.

BTW, how hard was it to apply? How long did it take? If you make a mistake, can you recover or do you need to re-order?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:35 AM

E500 Sport
First, you have to have a "nack" for this sort of stuff. You know if you got it!?!?! I read everything I could, got several videos from the various resellers and Stongard encourages you to call and talk to the tech guys. I did the easy parts first, e.g., Roof front edge, top rear bumper, A Pillars, etc. Front hood and bumper last! The material is very stretchable (up to 25%) and as long as you keep it wet with the solution, you can take your time. It can't be too wet. I didn't need to reorder anything... and if I did, I figured that would have been ok since I didn't have any labor cost. It took me about 12 hr's for everything that I spread over two days. The Ston Light is very easy to apply! You will have some water "haze" under the clear bra (3M make them all). This water haze will disappear in about a week or two. Set it out in the sun. The most difficult part was first the front bumper and 2nd the frnt hood.... lots of complex curves. Make sure you follow all the directions.... dawn wash, clay, 3M wax remover, and wash again. Dry very well, you don't want any water spots under the clear bra....!!! Everything you need, e.g., videos, tools, rags can be ordered from the various resellers. Good Luck
Old 03-31-2003, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Re: StoneGard Application

Originally posted by vdimemmo
Thanks for the info.

BTW, how hard was it to apply? How long did it take? If you make a mistake, can you recover or do you need to re-order?
I had it installed. Would not think that many people could do it correctly...I am sure there are a few. Not worth the chance. The lights would be simple to do yourself however.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Autobahnd

The protective film is called autobahnd. you can check it out for yourself http://www.autobahndint.com/. I bought it at MB dealer for $595.00. It covered the whole front bumper, mirror, hood. I then had them installed on the rear bumper for $229. They did a very good job on this. You can call your saleman to have them install it.

2003 E320 brilliant silver/ash leather, E2, E3, 4-zone, rear sunshade, navigation(waiting), 7years/100K miles, simoniz, autobahnd, intire
Old 04-01-2003, 11:30 PM

After i saw this I started to look into buying for myself. I looked at the kit from stongard and liked it. The price though was different than what was posted in here. I called them and they said it was $444.95 and there must have been a data entry error when it purchased.

I have been looking around for a solution. I found a company called rockblocker.com. They have a kit just like the Stongard one for the price of what $260 I have purchased that one. It came with instructions and tools necessary for the install. It really wasnt that hard.

It looks good for a rookie at this.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:11 AM

E500 Sport
I just called Stongard yesterday and ordered some material to do some more areas that they don't already have cut, e.g., I'm doing the rocker panels behind all 4 wheel wells, the lower fender areas behind all 4 wheel wells, the leading edge of the rear fenders (about a 2" wide ared just behind the rear door) and the door jams where "feet" drag over them.