E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear view mirror parking position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4matic; 1986 500SL
Rear view mirror parking position

Had my car in for service last week and I asked that the rear view mirror parking position feature be enabled via computer. I could not set it myself so I assumed something had to be done via STAR. Only checked today and its still not working. Invoice from dealer says "REAR TILT FOR MIRROR IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THIS PARTICULAR MODEL." I have a 2008 E350 Sport AMG. Is this ture or did the dealership not know where/how to enable it? Can other 2008 E350 Sport owners confirm this feature works on your car?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450

On my '04 the "rear view mirror" (the one mounted on the windshield) does not tilt. It is the the passenger side mirror that tilts when you are in Reverse gear. For this to function, the passenger side mirror adjustment button must be selected, and the feature must be active via the MFD.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply but I'd like to hear from 2008 E350 Sport owners to see if its a feature that was deleted on this particular model and/or year as stated by the dealer. Can any 2008 owners confirm that they have this feature?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM

S211
The parking position feature of the passenger side is always available if you have the memory-function on driver seat side.

If you do not have the buttons "1,2,3,M" on driver seat side the function is not available.

regards
Cosinus
Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
o/t, but the rear view mirror isn't even motorized in this car vs my 02 cl500 it is and my 94 s420 it was. to be honest, it's a stupid feature to have the rear view mirror motorized. i just wish i had auto-dimming on the passenger side mirror as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by BlueOpal
Had my car in for service last week and I asked that the rear view mirror parking position feature be enabled via computer. I could not set it myself so I assumed something had to be done via STAR. Only checked today and its still not working. Invoice from dealer says "REAR TILT FOR MIRROR IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THIS PARTICULAR MODEL." I have a 2008 E350 Sport AMG. Is this ture or did the dealership not know where/how to enable it? Can other 2008 E350 Sport owners confirm this feature works on your car?

Thanks
I think you mean the right side view mirror and not the rear view mirror. I assume you have a US version car.

I have a US 2008 wagon and I had the dealer enable the mirror tilt-down feature using the Star Diagnostics before I took delivery of the car. The salesman had never heard of this, but it was done when I picked up the car. The fact that your car is a Sport version sedan should not make a difference. Once the mirror tilt down is enabled, you use the buttons on the steering wheel to scroll through some of the settings and turn it on. The left-right mirror selector switch has to be switched to the right mirror for it to work (that way you can toggle it on or off).
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Early in the 2007 production run, this feature was deleted from the menu system for US Spec Cars. I suspect your dealer didn't even look to do this for you but rather had the opinion that "if MBUSA deleted it from view, you're not supposed to have it...it can't be done." Its in there... eliminated by the US software. Many guys who have dealers willing to poke around in the software have enabled it with SDS.

My guess is that your dealer isn't looking for future service problems by creating a one of a kind car in his own shop by his own hands. Its not really a big deal, but I personally can understand him being hesitant to create his own problems. I'm sure he remembers the nightmare days of 2003 & 2004 cars where nothing worked 100% right even 50% of the time.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
right side mirror

The dealer told me they could enable it if the owners manual mentioned this feature. He told me in later models that the feature was disabled for safety reasons.
I did get mine enable but every now and then it forgets its setting, like at my last service B. I had to re-adjust it while the car is in reverse. If you do not tilt it down enough, the feature will not engage when you place the car in reverse. Just play with it and see what you get.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
100% it can be enabled with SDS. No reason why dealer cannot do it. The tech that worked on your car just didn't know where to look......

The mirror feature was likely disabled due to client confusion. 99% of owners don't even know how to cycle through the IC menus, and even less understand how to enable and diable settings in cluster.

99.9% of complaints due to the mirror feature not working:
1. Feature disabled in cluster.
2.Feature enabled in cluster using key#1 with key dependant on, and feature disabled for key#2 (hence key dependant now gone...)
3. Feature enabled, but mirror switch not selected to right side mirror adjustment (on door)
4. Conditions 1-3 were met but client adjusted mirror back up and the mirror setting for reverse is same as foward.

System is too confusing and owner of vehicle was never properly shown how to operate, resulting in poor intitial quality ratings.....
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by rsmith7
The dealer told me they could enable it if the owners manual mentioned this feature. He told me in later models that the feature was disabled for safety reasons.
I did get mine enable but every now and then it forgets its setting, like at my last service B. I had to re-adjust it while the car is in reverse. If you do not tilt it down enough, the feature will not engage when you place the car in reverse. Just play with it and see what you get.
they disabled it because they got tired of owners complaining about how the mirror goes down by itself and it's messed up (you should see what people ask the S/A's at the dealers here in LA). that's why they got rid of key specific memory seat feature.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Early in the 2007 production run, this feature was deleted from the menu system for US Spec Cars. I suspect your dealer didn't even look to do this for you but rather had the opinion that "if MBUSA deleted it from view, you're not supposed to have it...it can't be done." Its in there... eliminated by the US software. Many guys who have dealers willing to poke around in the software have enabled it with SDS.

My guess is that your dealer isn't looking for future service problems by creating a one of a kind car in his own shop by his own hands. Its not really a big deal, but I personally can understand him being hesitant to create his own problems. I'm sure he remembers the nightmare days of 2003 & 2004 cars where nothing worked 100% right even 50% of the time.
This is what I thought. The dealer in question was in Buffalo, NY. I will see if a Toronto dealer will enable it since it is a feature on Canadian spec cars. Mine is a US car with US warranty and warranty is not transferable to Canada, hence my visit to Buffalo for some warranty repairs.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by rsmith7
I'll try tilting the mirror all the way down when setting tomorrow to see if that works.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E350 4matic- winter edition
Park Assist Tilt mirror

I too had my 07 E350 in the shop last week and tried to have this done at Estate Motors in NY, they could not enable it for me. Same reason given that MB eliminated it from some cars. Took it to MB of Greenwich as well, they could not enable this feature either.

Does anyone have specific instructions that can be given to these dealerships that dont seem to know much?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by MB211
100% it can be enabled with SDS. No reason why dealer cannot do it. The tech that worked on your car just didn't know where to look......

The mirror feature was likely disabled due to client confusion. 99% of owners don't even know how to cycle through the IC menus, and even less understand how to enable and diable settings in cluster.

2.Feature enabled in cluster using key#1 with key dependant on, and feature disabled for key#2 (hence key dependant now gone...)
3. Feature enabled, but mirror switch not selected to right side mirror adjustment (on door)
4. Conditions 1-3 were met but client adjusted mirror back up and the mirror setting for reverse is same as foward.

System is too confusing and owner of vehicle was never properly shown how to operate, resulting in poor intitial quality ratings.....
100% Correct! Thats why they deleted all confusing settings & options on '07's... to immediately bring up their initial Q owner ratings with no money spent... No mirror tilt, no Low Tire pressure warning, no key dependent, no lotsa stuff... but a very complaint free '07!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Never had it on my 2008. Was told it could be activated via SDS, but I did not prefer the option. I do know that you have to have the right mirror button pressed for it to work.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 PM

K7 GSX-R 750
In my C55 I had the option where the passenger mirror automatically rotated downwards once I was in reverse. But with the Parktornics in my E550 its very seem-less parking anywhere! But I will ask the Dealership as I just dropped off the car today for my $39K Tranny Service. Good to know!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MB211

Very interesting post....
Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It seems completely disabled in 2008/2009 models, so jump to W212 where the feature is availabel again.