E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I Think I am Buying A Merc in the Next 48 Hours and Need Help/Advice ASAP! =)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 MB E300 "W124"
Exclamation I Think I am Buying A Merc in the Next 48 Hours and Need Help/Advice ASAP! =)

Hi everyone!

I am looking at this 2004 Merc with 64K

I saw the car today and it looks supppper clean and the drive was smooth as well but I didnt get to run it hard!

Now my questions are the following...

1) What is the thing that I need to look for (worry about)???

2) How is the reliability on these cars?

3) They say they just spent 2,000 on the 60K tune up (including brakes and stuff)...true?!?!

4) Do I need to drive it hard to look for problems?

5) I know I will take it to an indy shop to get it inspected but how much am I looking at the cost?

6) are there any common signs that the engine has issues?

7) are there any common signs that the tranny has issue?

8) it does not have the navi or the bluetooth options...what other things should I look to see if the car has that is worth while?

9) any other things I should know?

thank you everyone for your input in advance!

Last edited by 805 MB; 05-07-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
You don't specify the engine / trim but a few things I have seen (you can search this board)
For v-8
Airmatic- frequent failures with adjustable suspension front and rear. Expensive ($1000/corner)
Crankshaft positioning sensor- Pretty cheap to fix
Transmission failure due to Glycol contamination- Very expensive- Look for Valeo mfg radiator- Stay away from them.

For all-
Ball joints
Squeaky HVAC blower motor
SBC- Hydraulic booster pump- Can fail prematurely- MB extended warranty for 10 yr/ 100K
Some audio problems
Both batteries should be fresh

Trim / electrical should be obvious by inspection

The high option cars have more things to go wrong.

You should be getting the car for 30% of list (or better). They are great cars and affordable on the front end but if you are not "handy" better plan on 2-3K per year for service. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
You don't specify the engine / trim but a few things I have seen (you can search this board)
For v-8
Airmatic- frequent failures with adjustable suspension front and rear. Expensive ($1000/corner)
Crankshaft positioning sensor- Pretty cheap to fix
Transmission failure due to Glycol contamination- Very expensive- Look for Valeo mfg radiator- Stay away from them....
Arnott now offers airmatic components at a substantial discount from the $1000 MB dealer. I do bel. you have to remove them yourself, and they keep your core, but it seems to be a great deal.

The V-8 is amazing, but as stated, maint/rep. items are exp. U may wish to look into a warranty.

Also do a search on this forum, to find out how to get into the FSS system and see when the next maint. is due, and what items they are. You can then cross-ref. this info. with the dealers and see if they are "honest". (Although, they could reset the system, and have performed zero maint. but its worth a shot) Good luck!

Last edited by gnma; 05-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 Sport
Pass on a 04; get a 05 or 06

If it's cheap, there is a reason almost always
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
I've found consumer reports to be very acurate.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
^^^
I agree, get the latest model you can afford.

More details: CPO? Link to an ad so we can see the car?

If you are serious about it, then yes, definitely get a ppi done. All the questions you're asking here will be answered by a good Indy MB tech. As far as price, a full ppi can run around $250-300. Be sure it's a full one (all day) and you get everything down on paper. Any minor issues that are easily fixable can be used as leverage on the price of the car. If it has some major issues, then walk. Be patient and you'll find the right one.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM

1991 MB E300 "W124"
Sorry it was late when I asked the ? and forgot to write down the model

its a E320 for 14K
Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM

2008 E350 4MATIC, 2002 ML320
For the record, am reposting my response from the other benz forum; trend is common on recommendations.

The earlier models in the W211 segment had a lot of issues, airmatic seems to be at the top of the list, at 60K miles the owner(s) must have had most of the issues rectified.

Here are some pointers for you to consider;

1. Go to your local MB dealer and ask them politely to have a print out of the VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) report for the car - you'll need the VIN to do that. This will reveal any issues the car had while still under the manufacture's 4yr/50K mile original warranty. These issues are typically fixed by the dealer since they'll be at no cost to the owner.

2. Either take it to a trusted indy shop that specializes in MBs or to the dealer to have a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection done.

3. If the VMI report turns out to have multiple instances of the same issue fixed by the dealer and also the report itself is several pages long, that's a red flag and you need to think hard about it before you purchase the car.....for me that will make me walk away from buying the car – but hey, to each his own

4. Also get a Carfax report (sometimes not fully reliable), in case the car had been in an accident before (hopefully not).

6. Find out what the extended warranty would cost if you had to get it (03-06) models were problem year cars for the E.

5. Bear in mind for most people the cheapest Mercedes Benz car purchased would probably be the most expensive car they buy. There are tons of DIY help on this forum, just do the needful before you pull the plug so you don't end-up with a lemon (not trying to burst your bubble, only trying to help).

Good luck and let's know how it goes!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 PM

K7 GSX-R 750
I agree with the advice's above, but imo, I would invest in an Extended Warranty plan as well...and @$14K, its not a bad buy!!

GL with the purchase, Post Picz!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The Airmatic suspension is actually still an issue even on 09 models. I've seen a couple over the past year go bad on the AMG model, so have the dealer double-check the life status of the suspension and more specifically look for any signs of air leaks.

The radiator issue was resolved in late 03 models to early 04s so you may not have a Valeo radiator, but it is always good to check.

Another good area is to check the status of the navigation system if the car has the navi option. Many used cars are sold without the navigation disc, so it becomes hard to test it before purchase. I've seen navigation drives fail after a few years so be careful.

Extended warranty is always a good idea on Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and pretty much all German cars
Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 AM

W211 Elegance Saloon
He's getting an E320 so airmatic shouldn't be a concern.

Look for ball joint, thrust arm and front suspension problems. Check that the electrical components are all working. Check the batteries (there's 2). Look at the interior for wear...I've seen some nasty looking interiors and those parts aren't cheap at MB parts counter.

Also, read about the different options available to the E-Class. A lot of dealers advertise as "loaded" when it is in fact base...at least know what your are getting in to option wise and then try to find something with the most options (if you care about those of course). They won't affect the price really at all IME
Old 05-08-2010, 04:05 AM

1991 MB E300 "W124"
You guys have been great!

I called a local indy today and talked to them regarding the PPI and they told me that its 89.99 and that will be a 3 hour inspection of the car

I think thats a BS inspection...but then again I am not a mechanic...people have been telling me 2-300 for an all day inspection

should I call somewhere else?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by 805 MB
You guys have been great!

I called a local indy today and talked to them regarding the PPI and they told me that its 89.99 and that will be a 3 hour inspection of the car

I think thats a BS inspection...but then again I am not a mechanic...people have been telling me 2-300 for an all day inspection

should I call somewhere else?
I'm guessing that you'll be getting a cursory visual inspection for $89.99.
Plus with that kind of pricing.... why don't they just say it's $90; it sounds like something from WalMart.

I would seriously shop for a qualified tech who can really do a genuine ppi.
fwiw, the last one I did was $350 and it took a full day. Granted it was for a Porsche, but a MB is also complex.

imho, get somebody who will really check it out and not just look at it. You can do that yourself. Why pay somebody $89.99 to put it on the lift and stare at it for half an hour and then go to lunch for another hour and then call you in another hour and a half after coming back from lunch to tell you it's done?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
Y
SBC- Hydraulic booster pump- Can fail prematurely- MB extended warranty for 10 yr/ 100K
The warranty is 10yr/unlimited mileage
Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
He's getting an E320 so airmatic shouldn't be a concern.
If it has the sport package then it has airmatic